It's OK For Games To Be Mean To Players

HardOCP News

[H] News
So it's not okay to kill women, children and some small animals in a video game and then expect to be treated like a hero? Wait. Why not? I think that's how most of us roll. ;)

“We decided that sounds psychotic. It doesn’t match our values, it doesn’t match the way the world works, it doesn’t match the way any other fiction—imagine a novel where a guy wakes up in the morning, kills everybody in the house, goes down the street, kills everybody on the way to work, kills everybody in the office, and then at the very end of the novel, there is a scene where he is given a medal and made some sort of hero and anointed in some way. It doesn’t make any sense.

I agree 100%, there should be repercussions for your actions in games.

The problem with games is not how gory or violent they are. The problem is if they don't show the consequences of bad actions. That's what is harmful to children, not the actual violence.

I thought that was the parents' job to teach their children?

Regardless, there has been no conclusive evidence presented that exposure to violent media increases the rate of violent actions by those exposed to it no matter the age. That was a non sequitur, anyway. The interview is about wanting players to understand the character's motives. Players often become detached from the story in a narrative-driven game if they can't understand their motivations.

I agree that you should be able to see the world change based on your actions, but there doesn't always have to be a reason behind the motivations of a video game character. It can certainly make the story better to know and understand, but the way in which it affects the person playing the game should be irrelevant beyond wanting to evoke certain emotions in the context of the story being told.

So, wait... it was wrong for me to kill every killable man, woman, and child in Vivec while playing TES 3: Morrowind? Gosh, now I feel bad...

The problem with games is not how gory or violent they are. The problem is if they don't show the consequences of bad actions. That's what is harmful to children, not the actual violence.

Not sure what you're talking about, if I see a mushroom walking towards me, I'm gonna jump on it, asap.

Devil's Advocate: That's like saying junk food is not bad for you, it's the fat and sodium your body absorbs that is.

I was playing M&B Warband SP the other day. I was skirting the edge of a rivals holdings with a light party because I wanted to pull elite troops from the castle I was traveling to. I ran in to get a beer unpaused (stupid, I know) and got back to discover I had encountered the rival sovereign's 500+ field army. I had 75 trainees.

4 rounds later I had fought him down to under 100 guys, but I had about 15 left and was personally dangerously low on health. Anyway, they finally beat me down in a pile of bodies and I got the "crushed utterly" dialog, clicked through that and got another one I had never seen before that said I had taken a nasty hit to the knee that would never heal right and I lose 1 dexterity.

Then they stole all my books.

I thought that was pretty mean.

Fuck, what games let you kill kids?! I would assume everybody includes kids, right?

Devil's Advocate: That's like saying junk food is not bad for you, it's the fat and sodium your body absorbs that is.

Aso with most things it's the over consumption of junk food that is bad for you, not the junk food itself.

Sorry, but had to point that out. Now back to the main topic. :)

Having the game characters react to your actions is a good thing ... it definitely is a little disconcerting in games when you kill someone and characters right next to them are nonplussed by the event ... nothing wrong with evil actions having repercussions in a game

Real world...novel...Kotaku...yeah, not interested in a bullshit article from someone who doesn't understand games.

I agree 100%!!!! I have been very unsatisfied with the consequences in racing simulators for a VERY long time! We need to push legislation to REQUIRE more accurate consequences in racing simulators.

And don't even get me started on flight simulators....it's disgusting what kinds of crashes pass for "simulation".

Developers should be held accountable.

Back