Looking for feedback on cheap and expensive 2.1 systems

null

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to purchase 2 seperate 2.1 systems.

The first I'm willing to spend up to $150 on. It's for my primary home work station that plays music and movies regularly. Skype chats, conferences calls, etc. are secondary considerations. My research has lead me to the the Logitech Z-623 system for $120 (Amazon link). Is there a better option at that price level, or a comparable option that's less expensive?

I'm also looking for a cheap/budget 2.1 system. It's for someone in college, so it doesn't have to rock the house. It'll be used on a desktop and laptop. Any thoughts on the Creative A250?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@$150 I still think the best 2.1 system is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set.

I picked up the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system and do not regret the purchase. Best Buy seems to have them on sale for $99 every once in a while. My buddy swears by the Swan M10 for around the same price but I recall the volume knob being on the subwoofer.

Last edited:
No tweeters in those logitech sat speakers. I'd look at the good old Klipsch 2.1 or Swans' offerings.. If you're feeling adventurous, you might just be able to put together a basic amp + budget bookshelf setup.

As for the cheapie 2.1, I don't know. It may be just as simple as listening at the pc speaker display area at local office / consumer electronic stores or just trying what's rated high on Amazon. Or what's heaviest. It's hard to work miracles for 30 bucks.

As for the cheapie 2.1, I don't know. It's hard to work miracles for 30 bucks.

Agreed.

One feature I always look for is separate volume control for the sub. When it comes to the cheap options, might any of them offer that? If not, I'll probably go w/the A250.

Just wanted to say thanks for the Promedia recommendations. I received mine today. I'm impressed. Excellent full sound from a 2.1 system.

It doesn't hit as hard as my Logitech 5300e, but that's expected given that the Logitech brings more speakers and power to the table. But the Promedia makes up for it with far better audio quality. It's amazingly clear and precise compared to the 5300e.

The Creative A250 was shipped directly to its recipient, so I can't give any personal feedback on it, but he's happy w/it. For $30, I suppose that's all you can hope for.

Back