ASUS Strix Radeon R9 Fury

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at PC Perspective has published a review of the ASUS Strix Radeon R9 Fury today. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

Overall I am very impressed with not only the AMD Radeon R9 Fury GPU, but also the implementation that ASUS put together in the form of the ASUS Strix R9 Fury OC. This graphics card combines the latest in AMD GPU technology, the fastest graphics memory sub-system in the world and a first-class PCB and cooler design into a package that any gamer would love to have. Performance comparisons put the ASUS Strix R9 Fury between the GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti, as expected, and AMD continues to push forward with impressive gaming results in upcoming DX12 titles.

It's such a quandary for me right now. I want to upgrade from my current card in my main PC, but if I go with the GTX980-Ti, I'll have great performance today in DX11, but in DX12, my 290x will stomp all over the GTX980-Ti. On the flipside, it could be a few years before DX12 titles have enough marketshare for that to matter. The Fury-Vanilla would be a perfect "cake and eat it too" because it's a Radeon and has the more friendly architecture for DX12, and is almost "close enough" performance-wise in DX11 for me to consider it over the GTX980-Ti...the problem with the Fury-Vanilla is the price. Were it $450 or $500 it would an easier sell.

Right now it's as if AMD price-matcheD the $450 GTX260 back in 2008/2009 with their Radeon 4870. If the 4870 wasn't $150 less expensive than the GTX260, I would have gotten a GTX260.

As someone who is vendor agnostic, my advice is buy for today. If you can afford a 980Ti, go for it. These DX12 benchmarks are all pretty preliminary, and I wouldn't bet on a 290X continuing to 'stomp' on a 980Ti by the time something you want to play comes out. I'm not saying it can't happen, but my *guess* is it won't.

Also, 18 months to 16nm? Maybe another cheap 290X will get you there, then you can make a decision then. The gains could be substantial.

Edit: I kinda contradicted myself. I'd still buy the 980Ti ;)

Last edited:
It's such a quandary for me right now. I want to upgrade from my current card in my main PC, but if I go with the GTX980-Ti, I'll have great performance today in DX11, but in DX12, my 290x will stomp all over the GTX980-Ti. On the flipside, it could be a few years before DX12 titles have enough marketshare for that to matter. The Fury-Vanilla would be a perfect "cake and eat it too" because it's a Radeon and has the more friendly architecture for DX12, and is almost "close enough" performance-wise in DX11 for me to consider it over the GTX980-Ti...the problem with the Fury-Vanilla is the price. Were it $450 or $500 it would an easier sell.

Right now it's as if AMD price-matcheD the $450 GTX260 back in 2008/2009 with their Radeon 4870. If the 4870 wasn't $150 less expensive than the GTX260, I would have gotten a GTX260.

Honestly, since stock clock Fury is stronger than stock 980 the asking price of 550$ is reasonable. 980ti is ~650 for cheapest non-blower model I could find (Zotac).

I think the real question you need to ask yourself is "why buy now?". You are well set up for the next year when DX12 starts showing up on more products with your 290X. And not only that, but vastly improved manufacturing process is also coming into play. This will lead to a hefty performance bump because A&N can push more stuff on their chips without completely blowing out the size budjet. It´s almost guaranteed that you will get a better deal you are looking for at that point.

Honestly, since stock clock Fury is stronger than stock 980 the asking price of 550$ is reasonable. 980ti is ~650 for cheapest non-blower model I could find (Zotac).

I think the real question you need to ask yourself is "why buy now?". You are well set up for the next year when DX12 starts showing up on more products with your 290X. And not only that, but vastly improved manufacturing process is also coming into play. This will lead to a hefty performance bump because A&N can push more stuff on their chips without completely blowing out the size budjet. It´s almost guaranteed that you will get a better deal you are looking for at that point.

Cheapest I've seen is this MSI GTX980-Ti for $549.99($609 - $60 for MGSV..I'm getting this game regardless, so I figure it into the price personally) .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127891

So right now I'm looking at this Fury-Vanilla for $570 at Amazon, or $550 for a GTX980-Ti at NewEgg. In other words, with me getting MGSV, the Fury Vanilla is $630 and the GTX980-Ti is $610.

I'm looking to upgrade my FX-8350 machine, so If I get a Fury-Vanilla or GTX980-Ti for my main, I'll move the 290x to the AMD machine.

Last edited:
Back