Open Source Low-Cost 3D-Printed Prosthetic Hand

HardOCP News

[H] News
Honestly, building a prosthetic hand is the easy part, people have been doing that for ages. Making something like this, at a fraction of the price of conventional prosthetic hands, is what makes this guy's work truly special.

Joel Gibbard, a robotics graduate from Plymouth University, has designed a prosthetic hand that can be produced in 40 hours; and with a price tag of less than £1,000, it is seen as an affordable alternative to more advanced robotic prosthetics, which can cost between £30,000 and £60,000.

even at 2000$ with legal tweaks (hypoallergenic, safe around medical equipment, non-corrosive, medical grade plastics) it would be a dramatic shift.

however the prosthetic today may be 2000$ as well, with a 25000-38000$ markup, if that is the case what will change the market is innovative people looking to make 100% profit and not 10000% profits.

however the prosthetic today may be 2000$ as well, with a 25000-38000$ markup, if that is the case what will change the market is innovative people looking to make 100% profit and not 10000% profits.

Yup, costs $2k, mark it up to $20k, and if you have insurance they bill the insurance company $40k. Why? Because those who can pay pay for those who can't and potentially won't in the future.

For everyone who calls me a luddite, THIS is what our technology should be focused on, making people's lives better, for less cost.

For everyone who calls me a luddite, THIS is what our technology should be focused on, making people's lives better, for less cost.

YES, it's always great to see news like this :cool:

As someone who just bought a 3D printer, it's nice to see the tech used for things other than making models of video game characters.

I can't wait to find out this can be done with legs as well. My current right leg was $16k two and a half years ago; my permanent socket was $5000 by itself. I bet the weight-bearing aspect might keep it from being a reality, though.

I can't wait to find out this can be done with legs as well. My current right leg was $16k two and a half years ago; my permanent socket was $5000 by itself. I bet the weight-bearing aspect might keep it from being a reality, though.

But then I've noticed the steady progression in the materials that 3D printers can use, so maybe something with higher strength but lower cost might be in your future...good luck. Maybe a 3d printer that can suck carbon right out of the air and print carbon fiber products might be in the realm of possibility one of these days.

Back