Ashley Madison Sued In U.S. Over Data Breach

HardOCP News

[H] News
A lawsuit has been filed in U.S. District Court against Ashley Madison and its parent company. The plaintiff is seeking class-action status and unspecified damages.

Infidelity website Ashley Madison and its parent company have been sued in federal court in California by a man who claims that the companies failed to adequately protect clients' personal and financial information from theft, saying he suffered emotional distress.

Your both wrong. That happens everywhere. People generally say Only in America Only in America however.

Doesn't know person or what their story is, just makes broad assumptions and puritanical judgement. Only in America.

So calling cheating on one's wife/husband a bad thing is a puritanical judgment?

So calling cheating on one's wife/husband a bad thing is a puritanical judgment?

I think people who cheat on their spouses are scum. The guy who is suing is probably one of them. However, suing AM for a breach of security is not proof of cheating, the same way having some of your data on AM's database also is not.

I thought we addressed this before. In many cultures it isn't cheating for a many to have extramarital sex with another. Ashley Madison services customers from 46 states. Add to this that there actually is no requirement that one be married to use the site's services.

Your self righteousness is ill concieved.

All morality debates aside. The issue is the site charged a fee to "permanently delete" your data on its site and that info, which should not have existed for those who paid the fee, had their info leaked in the hack.

The lawsuit is likely stemming from them keeping records when they claimed that they wouldn't. It's a clear breach of contract.

The moral issues (for the time being) are irrelevant.

I thought we addressed this before. In many cultures it isn't cheating for a many to have extramarital sex with another. Ashley Madison services customers from 46 states. Add to this that there actually is no requirement that one be married to use the site's services.

Well, supposedly the site has like this motto thing-y that goes something like, "Life is short, have an affair," so you can pretty much tell the target audience is perv-o married guys who suffer from some sort of recurring problem where their pants literally fly off all by themselves anytime something they're sexually attracted to is near them.

Anywho, as much as I disagree with the fact that a service like this exists and am disappointed at how popular it is when its so easy to just get over the idea of doing that revolting exchange of goo with other people, the site's bottom-feeder losers did have an expectation that there wouldn't be a disclosure of their information so they're probably entitled to whatever dirty money they paid (multiplied by 3) as damages. They'll need their little bit of money anyhow when they get totally demolished in the follow up divorce trail stuff anyhow where they rightfully lose all their joint assets, anything they previously owned, and have the dignity they don't deserve destroyed too.

What kind of retarded mouthbreather would sign up for a place like Ashley Madison? Anyone with a brain could see that it was a treasure chest for extortionists just waiting to be hacked.

Just to be clear everyone is only focusing on men. There are also women on this site otherwise the whole concept doesn't work. And the lawsuit is about releasing embarrassing info, seems most haven't bothered doing research on it before posting.

I would say he was already emotionally distressed if he felt he had to use that kind of service. I wonder if his wife will sue him for causing his family emotional distress by being a cheating douche. :rolleyes:

All morality debates aside. The issue is the site charged a fee to "permanently delete" your data on its site and that info, which should not have existed for those who paid the fee, had their info leaked in the hack.

Wow, that is BAD. You just know every other site with this "feature" does the exact same thing.

Just to be clear everyone is only focusing on men. There are also women on this site otherwise the whole concept doesn't work. And the lawsuit is about releasing embarrassing info, seems most haven't bothered doing research on it before posting.

True, of the 32 million people in the US who signed up out of the total of like 36 million users worldwide, only a mere 95% were men.

No there isn't, I looked. Just fake profiles lol :p

Just ask God for forgiveness and life will be well......:rolleyes:

But if everyone was out raping their siblings, and their friends and cheating on spouses and maybe doing things to their own children.. how would he have time to hear everyone asking for forgiveness.

My guess is AM knows the jig is up and have already moved/hidden assets in preparation for bankruptcy.

The lawsuit is likely stemming from them keeping records when they claimed that they wouldn't. It's a clear breach of contract.

The moral issues (for the time being) are irrelevant.

This.

You take a payment to delete someone's data...you damned well better delete it in the most unrecoverable manner possible.

My guess is AM knows the jig is up and have already moved/hidden assets in preparation for bankruptcy.

Considering it's a Canadian company, I'm not sure how a California court is going to make any meaningful judgement against them. However I don't really understand how international class action lawsuits work either. I do know they are already being sued in Canada, I don't imagine much will be left to pick from after that class action is resolved.

This leak/hack is going to affect more regular people than the Snowden leaks ever did, which is kinda sad or hilarious, depending on your take.

Moral issues? Against my morals, sure. Against everyone's? Nope. Hell, some chicks are into threesomes or watching their guy do another girl. Some people don't consider cheating bad. Religion? Some are religious, some are not. Some aren't Christian, some are..... Personal moral issues don't come into play.

The information released was done illegally (not AM's fault, but neither was the Target or other breaches), and people paid to have that information deleted, which it wasn't. The subject matter of the site and the people involved are pretty personal. I don't want people having a list of what I bought at the adult shop, even though it's completely moral and fine to me. If that information was released after I paid to delete it, then I'd be pissed (I don't litigate, though....but that's just me). I'm sure someone would sue because it got out.

For the lawsuit, moral's don't come into play. It's sensitive information that was released when it shouldn't have been stored anymore.

If that information was released after I paid to delete it, then I'd be pissed (I don't litigate, though....but that's just me). I'm sure someone would sue because it got out.

For the lawsuit, moral's don't come into play. It's sensitive information that was released when it shouldn't have been stored anymore.

I would agree, since the information was paid to be deleted.

Just because these peoples names were leaked, the ones who didnt pay to delete their info, probably will get nothing. The others who paid to delete the data, will most likely be compensated for the fee they paid. The lawyers will get the rest....of course.

Stupidity does win lawsuits though.....hot coffee is hot...duh! :D

Stupidity does win lawsuits though.....hot coffee is hot...duh! :D

Have you read up on that lawsuit? I used to think it was some stupid old lady looking for a cash out. It's definitely not. Coffee maker was set way too high and they were repeatedly told to fix it. It didn't happen. Caused some real nasty 3rd degree burns in this ladies lap and down yonder area. She didn't want to sue, she wanted them to pay for medical bills. They refused. So, lawyers got involved and the lawsuit happened. She won.

Considering it's a Canadian company, I'm not sure how a California court is going to make any meaningful judgement against them. However I don't really understand how international class action lawsuits work either. I do know they are already being sued in Canada, I don't imagine much will be left to pick from after that class action is resolved.

This leak/hack is going to affect more regular people than the Snowden leaks ever did, which is kinda sad or hilarious, depending on your take.

As their parent company is Avid media unless they were an LLC (which I'm guessing they were) Avid can be sued. And any judgement brought against them could be levied against any business they conduct here in the USA.

And to be honest they deserve to have the pants sued off them on multiple levels.

Have you read up on that lawsuit? I used to think it was some stupid old lady looking for a cash out. It's definitely not. Coffee maker was set way too high and they were repeatedly told to fix it. It didn't happen. Caused some real nasty 3rd degree burns in this ladies lap and down yonder area. She didn't want to sue, she wanted them to pay for medical bills. They refused. So, lawyers got involved and the lawsuit happened. She won.

Actually McDonalds knew the vast majority of their coffee machines were way too hot. But a hotter temperature led to faster brewing times. (And time = money in fast food)

But anyone handling coffee should know if you spill it on yourself it's going to hurt like hell. (Being one of those idiots)

So there was idiocy on both sides.

Actually McDonalds knew the vast majority of their coffee machines were way too hot. But a hotter temperature led to faster brewing times. (And time = money in fast food)

But anyone handling coffee should know if you spill it on yourself it's going to hurt like hell. (Being one of those idiots)

So there was idiocy on both sides.

There were also problems with the lids, they weren't secure and McDonalds knew about that too and didn't fix it.

What's stupid about this is their security model. If you have truly sensitive data that you need access to on a regular basis you don't put it on a network.

You attach it to a small server farm that is located in a cage with two keys. And all communication is done through other means other then networking. Serial/Parallel/Wireless/USB. And IF a large number of records are pulled that haven't been accessed in a long time, then clamp down the system and start feeding bogus data back with booby traps to find the perp.

That may be true of other cultures, but this article is about a U.S. resident. If you're single and using the site, more power to you. If you're married, like most of the high profile "news" articles relating to the data breach suggest, it's a shitty way to treat your wife/husband and kids. If you don't want to screw your spouse, that's on you. Get a divorce. At least be honest with yourself and your family.

But....

You need to boil water to make coffee.

At sea level and normal salt levels all water boils at the same temperature.

How could they possibly have set the coffee maker too hot? We're they putting steam in her cup? If so, how did they make it stay? :p

That may be true of other cultures, but this article is about a U.S. resident. If you're single and using the site, more power to you. If you're married, like most of the high profile "news" articles relating to the data breach suggest, it's a shitty way to treat your wife/husband and kids. If you don't want to screw your spouse, that's on you. Get a divorce. At least be honest with yourself and your family.

Agreed

It doesn't even have anything to do with so called morality. Just has to do with not being a douche to the people in your life.

Zarathustra[H];1041815636 said:
But....

How could they possibly have set the coffee maker too hot? We're they putting steam in her cup? If so, how did they make it stay? :p

The coffee was held at temperatures that were too high. It wasn't the brewing temperature, it was the holding temperature.

We covered this

1. Two wrongs does NOT make a right
2. All people are capable of making mistakes, moral and ethical. All people are capable of salvation through themselves or externally. (Religious or not) By making themselves judge jury and executioner, the power high self rightout control freaks robbed anybody of self redemption.

They may have cleaned up their act. They may have already confessed. Now their actions are public.

Or maybe they changed their ways before things went too far. But now their life and other's lives are in shambles because someone got self righteous and appointed themselves God.

Or maybe they were just there for curiosity and had ZERO intents of having affairs. They might have been there checking up on a spouse they suspected of cheating.

All of us are guilty of sin. We pay for it one way or another. Intentionally bringing harm to others is just evil. And two wrongs do NOT make a right.

Zarathustra[H];1041815636 said:
But....

Ideal temperature for most coffee is around 184F. But as I'm sure you are aware, additives can raise or lower the boiling point.

We covered this

1. Two wrongs does NOT make a right
2. All people are capable of making mistakes, moral and ethical. All people are capable of salvation through themselves or externally. (Religious or not) By making themselves judge jury and executioner, the power high self rightout control freaks robbed anybody of self redemption.

They may have cleaned up their act. They may have already confessed. Now their actions are public.

Or maybe they changed their ways before things went too far. But now their life and other's lives are in shambles because someone got self righteous and appointed themselves God.

Or maybe they were just there for curiosity and had ZERO intents of having affairs. They might have been there checking up on a spouse they suspected of cheating.

All of us are guilty of sin. We pay for it one way or another. Intentionally bringing harm to others is just evil. And two wrongs do NOT make a right.

Fair enough, however, if you're going to do something that could possibly be considered a moral/ethical mistake (as you put it), don't be surprised if your hidden action makes it into the public eye. Internal or external "salvation" doesn't remove the consequences of your actions. That's not a self-righteous statement...just an observation.

Personally, I would argue that your examples of people who have zero interest in having an affair or are checking up on a spouse are a minuscule minority.

Back