Cortana Now Available on Android in Public Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
Have any of you guys tried out the Cortana public beta for Android yet? What do you think? Good? Bad?

In May, we announced that Cortana, the first personal digital-assistant who works across your PC & your phone, will be coming to Android and iOS devices. Today, we’re pleased to make the beta of the Cortana app available to all Android phone users.

Cortana only has deep API hooks into Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1. It and any other personal assistant is flawed by design when it is away from its home platform.

I think by being available on all platforms (and being a mash-up of both Siri and Now functionality), Cortana is still better then either.

I drive a 18-wheeler and between google maps and using google voice to find a company address or phone number it has become a essential part of my job.

If Bing maps is used with Cortana good luck, it shows I live in the next town over 6 miles away. Bing maps has a longgggggg way to go to match Google maps!!

There are a very small number of good uses for voice interaction with computers, but it is a really good excuse for companies providing the service to have the computer's microphone constantly monitoring stuff going on around it so they can justify it recording everything "just in case" you want to talk to it for something specific. Go Microsoft for being just as much of a creeper as Apple and Google!

I the only thing I use voice commands on my iphone is "wake me up in 20minutes" or at a certain time because it is faster than navigating the alarm scroll wheel.

from my experience cortana has been more accurate than google voice. google voice rarely searches anything accurately. xbox one does not understand people with lisps and often people with accents (american born asian family members valley girl accent). I don't think xbox has cortana yet.

However, google has the dramatically better search engine results when not searching for common items/celebrity gossip/sports team/gaming news. Google's search engine gets you real results for research while bing is more for news/popular sites/results.

I drive a 18-wheeler and between google maps and using google voice to find a company address or phone number it has become a essential part of my job.

I'm surprised the company you drive for doesn't give you those as tools to do your job

I'm surprised the company you drive for doesn't give you those as tools to do your job

They do provide computers in the drivers room to use Google maps and a printer. Out on the road though its our own personal phones though, a lot of us use trucking gps's also.

from my experience cortana has been more accurate than google voice. google voice rarely searches anything accurately. xbox one does not understand people with lisps and often people with accents (american born asian family members valley girl accent). I don't think xbox has cortana yet.

However, google has the dramatically better search engine results when not searching for common items/celebrity gossip/sports team/gaming news. Google's search engine gets you real results for research while bing is more for news/popular sites/results.

To be fair, does anyone understand Asian American valley girl?

Back