Top 10 Hidden Windows 10 Features

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of you that have already made the jump to Windows 10 might want to give this Top 10 Hidden Windows 10 Features slideshow the once over. The ability to use Game DVR to record your desktop is pretty cool.

Many of Windows 10’s key features have been talked about at length, but the operating system actually comes with a lot of great features that aren’t as immediately obvious to everyday users and even enthusiasts. These features don’t get the attention that they should, so without further ado, let’s get on with the top 10 hidden features of Windows 10.

Ugh, slideshows.

Why s this shit always in awful slideshows.

Whats wrong with putting it all on one page as a goddamned article?

Online slideshows need to die a horrible horrible death.

Zarathustra[H];1041812800 said:
Ugh, slideshows.

Slide shows are the shit. I fuckin' love them!

DX12 is the biggest hidden feature of Windows 10! Bet you no one on [H] knew that DirectX 12 was included with Windows 10. Totally hidden and a complete surprise to everyone here! :D

Should I have put a spoiler alert on that?

Ugh, slideshows.

Simple. Each slideshow requires a click, and each click is a payday. That is why there have been so many "Top 10" type articles.

"One of the most useful features introduced on Windows 7 was the ability to snap windows to certain areas of your screen."

Actually this is one of the most annoying features of Windows 7. To bad they made it even worse in Windows 10. Wish there was a way to disable it.

There's an "all on one page" button right next to the arrows.

"One of the most useful features introduced on Windows 7 was the ability to snap windows to certain areas of your screen."

Actually this is one of the most annoying features of Windows 7. To bad they made it even worse in Windows 10. Wish there was a way to disable it.

I don't think I've ever heard complain about this feature and I have now idea how it worse in 10 considering how much easier it is to snap apps especially with a mouse using multiple monitors. I use it constantly.

In any case, it's always been possible to turn it off. In Windows 7 & 8.x: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3069-aero-snap-turn-off.html. In Windows 10, Settings->System->Multitasking-Snap.

It is a lifesaver at my job for the type of productivity I do. I just wish there were an easy way to snap windows vertically in addition to horizontally. I think that was added in 10? It will probably be another 10 years until my place of business moves to 10, anyway...

It is a lifesaver at my job for the type of productivity I do. I just wish there were an easy way to snap windows vertically in addition to horizontally. I think that was added in 10? It will probably be another 10 years until my place of business moves to 10, anyway...

I don't think there's any direct way to do it in 10 but you can do a quarter snap of two apps so that one is below the other and then manually resize to fill out the apps across the screen.

I thought there was a way to disable it. I came across something like this in the settings menus.

That being said, I think window snapping features like this are fantastic. Nothing better than snapping two windows side by side equal in size when you are working on multiple things.

When I use my fiance's Mac I miss this feature horribly. Drives me insane to have to manually size the windows. (There probably is something similar in OS X, but I can't be bothered to look it up for the 2 minutes I plan on spending on it)

I do have to say, if you use multiple monitors, the Windows 10 version of snapping IS a little worse, because dragging windows from screen to screen the pointer gets stuck on the edge of each screen, requiring dragging the window part of the way across the border between the screens, letting go, moving the pointer to the other side of the border, and finishing it off. This is very annoying.

Also, the snapping feature doesn't work as well with windows key + arrow keys as it did in Windows 7, which is a shame.

On my 4k screen, I'd like to figure out a way to snap windows to 8 equal sized tiles across the screen.

You know, quarter the screen, as if you had 4 1080p screens (topleft, topright, bottomleft, bottomright) and then halve those down the center again. This would be perfect.

Each window would be a decent 960x1080.

seems like windows snapping works great in 10. have our apps that you want to see all on the same screen? windows+arrow keys get them all the same size taking up a quarter of the screen. I have no issues with multiple screens and snapping them. Though, not trying to stick 8 screens on the same single 4k screen :)

Ugh, slideshows.

They're also clickbait articles too.

Hidden Feature #1.
1. Sends the most data to Microsoft, continues sending data even after you turn off all spying features.

Hidden Feature #2
2. When all personal data mining features are turned off, they really aren't.

Hidden Feature #3
3. We said it's Free, but it's not.

Hidden Feature #4
4. It's a Service.

Hidden Feature #5
5. Ugliest Windows Ever.

Hidden Feature #6
6. All your torrents are belong to us.

Hidden Feature #7
7. Start menu is a Joke.

Hidden Feature #8
8. Charge for ad-free solitaire.

Hidden Feature #9
9. No DVD player and you can't turn off Windows Updates.

and Hidden Feature #10
10. No floppy disc drivers.

Zarathustra[H];1041812950 said:
I do have to say, if you use multiple monitors, the Windows 10 version of snapping IS a little worse, because dragging windows from screen to screen the pointer gets stuck on the edge of each screen, requiring dragging the window part of the way across the border between the screens, letting go, moving the pointer to the other side of the border, and finishing it off. This is very annoying.

Also, the snapping feature doesn't work as well with windows key + arrow keys as it did in Windows 7, which is a shame.

At first I did see your point about snapping with multiple monitors. But it can't be done with a mouse at all in 7 with multiple monitors on the interior edges. Once I got a feel for it it's fine now. The snapping doesn't engage if the window is dragged quickly and even when it does at least with my mouse, a Logitech G700 at its highest DPI setting, just continuing to drag will move it over to the next screen, there should be no need to let go of the drag.

Also not sure why you're saying snapping with the windows key + arrow keys doesn't work as well in 10 as in 7. The keyboard shortcuts are a proper superset in 10, with Windows Key+Up or Down activating the quadrant snapping once an app has been snap to the side.

I really loved this feature in Windows 7, especially working on multiple monitors. The implementation on Windows 10 is annoying. It constantly makes the window I want lose focus when trying to re-arrange them across my displays.

Oh my god no

Plus in 10, Windows collide against the inner edges of monitors. Which rules.

Love it, man.

Zarathustra[H];1041812950 said:
I thought there was a way to disable it. I came across something like this in the settings menus.

That being said, I think window snapping features like this are fantastic. Nothing better than snapping two windows side by side equal in size when you are working on multiple things.

When I use my fiance's Mac I miss this feature horribly. Drives me insane to have to manually size the windows. (There probably is something similar in OS X, but I can't be bothered to look it up for the 2 minutes I plan on spending on it)

On my 4k screen, I'd like to figure out a way to snap windows to 8 equal sized tiles across the screen.

You know, quarter the screen, as if you had 4 1080p screens (topleft, topright, bottomleft, bottomright) and then halve those down the center again. This would be perfect.

Each window would be a decent 960x1080.

Just drag the Windows across the monitor transition edge with a bit more gusto and it will not snag the cursor. It only tries to snap if you drag it slowly.

Hidden Feature #2
2. When all personal data mining features are turned off, they really aren't.

I would be nice to see some good research on this from a reputable independent source. Right now there's more myth than fact floating around.

I really loved this feature in Windows 7, especially working on multiple monitors. The implementation on Windows 10 is annoying. It constantly makes the window I want lose focus when trying to re-arrange them across my displays.

How is the window you're dragging losing focus?

I don't think I've ever heard complain about this feature and I have now idea how it worse in 10 considering how much easier it is to snap apps especially with a mouse using multiple monitors. I use it constantly.

In any case, it's always been possible to turn it off. In Windows 7 & 8.x: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3069-aero-snap-turn-off.html. In Windows 10, Settings->System->Multitasking-Snap.

Thanks, I actually learned something new in Windows 7 :)

I looked for a way to turn this off years ago and could never find it, so I gave up looking. Guess I should have kept looking.

I don't know if I could function at the office anymore without snap. When you are working off many reports and 2 spreadsheets at a time it is a productivity essential.

And that is the ability for MS to spy on you, regardless of what you do in the settings! Until they fix this, and PROVE that it's not "phoning home" when you disable all of the (numerous) data collection "features", I highly advise that everyone stay FAR away from this OS!

Just drag the Windows across the monitor transition edge with a bit more gusto and it will not snag the cursor. It only tries to snap if you drag it slowly.

Good to know, I will try this.

I wonder how they measure this speed. Is it pixels/second or is it percentage of screen / second?

The reason I ask is, because I don't feel like I move my mouse particularly slowly. I also override the default scaling on my screen in Windows 10, turning it down to 100%, as it is a 48" 4k screen, and I prefer the extra real estate over larger size.

Ugh, slideshows.

This way they can count 11 page views (front page + 10 slides) for 1 article.

Zarathustra[H];1041813468 said:
This makes me glad I use adblock (with an exemption for the [H] of course) so I don't reward them for their scummy behavior.

Note that [H] news links take you… a blurb on the front page of [H]. Because [H] wants those page clicks too.

#5 Annotating web pages in Microsoft Edge

goddam, Steve gets into everything...

5.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041813523 said:
I'm sure this will wind up being valuable somehow, but right now I'm just not thinking of any good ways to use web page annotation...

One thing this does which actually might be more useful than the annotation is that it creates and image of the current web page in the browser, the whole page, not just a screen shot of what's on screen. It is tied to the OneNote modern app and there's no way to get the image other than through OneNote in the cloud.

Except when Game DVR breaks your games by causing the mouse cursor to disappear (Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft 2).

Then it's not so hot.

Ugh, slideshows.

Slide shows are so much better because they can keep getting more advertising revenue as it looks like you visited their page 10 times!

Ugh, slideshows.

More clicks = more ad revenue.

Back