Windows 10: Pushing My MacBook And iPad Aside

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure if this is a compliment, an insult or both. :D

Microsoft has done a great job with Windows 10, especially with how it has integrated with the Surface 3. It's not perfect but then it's early days in the evolution of the OS. It is already surprisingly good, and that has gotten my full attention.

I have several of our customers switched from ipads/macbooks to surface pro. By now all have windows 10 and I have yet to receive a complaint.

One of them offered his ipad to his son who is going to college, but he prefered the surface pro 3 instead. So the guy had to get one more :D

One of my bosses also got one and swears by it. My other boss who's a die hard apple fan (macbook, imac, ipad, iphone, appletv, he's got it all) is now considering getting one too.

I'm going to guess that MS wrote ZDNet a big check for this one. Not that I don't agree, but the article makes zero sense unless it is an advertisement piece. Seriously, this guy never used Windows or a Surface before?

Saying anything positive about Microsoft products = paid articles around here. :rolleyes: Well, I guess folks around here will complain for free and we get our monies worth from it as well. :D Good to see someone who is not trying to get click bait by complaining.

Hmm... I'm running Windows 10 in a VM on my Macbook Pro. Seems to combine a lot of good things into a small space.

Sounds about right for anyone with open mind trying a Surface equivalent device and Windows 10 or even 8.1. The versatility of touch, pen, voice, touchpad, keyboard, external keyboard/mouse, etc. inputs is like comparing a car with gears and reverse vs a golf cart with only 1 gear and no reverse. Mac OS X doesn't support touch while iOS doesn't support mouse and neither support precision pen.

I've not met a person yet that doesn't like the SP3 after using one.

Sounds about right for anyone with open mind trying a Surface equivalent device and Windows 10 or even 8.1. The versatility of touch, pen, voice, touchpad, keyboard, external keyboard/mouse, etc. inputs is like comparing a car with gears and reverse vs a golf cart with only 1 gear and no reverse. Mac OS X doesn't support touch while iOS doesn't support mouse and neither support precision pen.

I've long been a huge fan of the Tablet PC, particularly convertible and hybrid devices. And they certainly have had their problems over the years. Slowly but surely the technology is coming together, and that's really been the issue more so than I think the viability of the idea.

With Windows 8.x many people pointed to its UI issues and said "You can't do a good hybrid OS, it's not possible. That's why Apple has the Mac and iPad and OS X and iOS as separate things." I think Windows 10 shows that yes it can be done and that Windows 8.x's UI flaws over the hybrid concept were not endemic but due to poor execution.

Of course Windows 10 isn't perfect and there are things that some "power" desktop folks still complain about like the tiles or lack of folder structure which I think is a legitimate complaint because Windows Phone 8.1 actually has a folder system for tiles. And on the tablet side more than a few have bemoaned compromises to accommodate desktop users and liked the Charms and full screen nature of the tablet side. But I don't see anything that would stop Windows 10 from getting these types of incremental enhancements while still retaining its overall nature and improving as a hybrid on both sides.

I've not met a person yet that doesn't like the SP3 after using one.

It's a hell of piece of engineering. It's biggest flaw is its "lapability". I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a folding keyboard docking solution that adds a battery and perhaps extra GPU but there are probably cost issues with that. Being a person that doesn't use laptops in my lap, it's not an issue but they are called laptops for a reason.

The only issues I've heard with SP3 is the screen flicker causing bad headaches... I have a SP3 and don't notice that, and love mine :)

Seriously, this guy never used Windows or a Surface before?

You're either implying that there's little new about Windows 10, or that what is new is not actually a significant improvement. I respectfully disagree based on the limited time I have spent with Windows 10 so far. It isn't perfect though: I vaguely remember seeing some sort of Bing clickbait images when accessing the new Start menu or search bar. Funny how they can get so close... and ruin it. Someone will probably say you can disable that feature. Still, it seems like an expression of pretty bad taste.

I'm calling BS on this. I love my SP3, but last night I just reverted to 8.1 because I feel the charms menu lost functionality in the upgrade, more settings were hidden, and lastly my battery life became unacceptably low. At a uneducated guess, a third of the previous use time and probably a quarter of standby time between charges.

I could be fine with the other issues. They were minor to me, but a battery that can't be away from a charger for 10 hours without any use and still ends up dead, can't have that.

They need to release the SP4 I need one for school! Unless the iPad Pro is released and is something awesome.

They need to release the SP4 I need one for school! Unless the iPad Pro is released and is something awesome.

Looking forward to the SP4 or the rumored Samsung variant with SAMOLED myself. 13"+ SAMOLED with Wacom (so I can interchange with Galaxy Note pen) and fanless would be close to perfect.

Hmm... I'm running Windows 10 in a VM on my Macbook Pro. Seems to combine a lot of good things into a small space.

I just run Windows 7 on my old Air. It has worked fine for 3 years, and was a huge improvement over the travesty of a UI that OSX offers.

I just run Windows 7 on my old Air. It has worked fine for 3 years, and was a huge improvement over the travesty of a UI that OSX offers.

Oh, I do not know, I actually the Mac OS X as well and Windows and Linux. However, I can only afford and justify to own what I need so, a Windows based computer build it is. I cannot afford to build a separate computer just for Linux although I do want to build one. (I have the money, just cannot justify spending the money beyond my budget at the moment.)

I almost feel sorry for people who limit themselves.

Windows 10 has ruined my Surface Pro 2.

Overall it's been solid on my Surface Pro 3. The Edge browser does seem to consume a lot of CPU on certain sites but it seems like that's gotten a bit better with the updates and battery life seems about in line with 8.1 thought that's just a guess.

My biggest complaint thus far is that's no built in way to associate the to pen button click with opening the desktop version on OneNote. It's an issue that Microsoft acknowledges and says will be fixed in a coming update.

I've not had any major issues with software or hardware compatibility, everything that was working in 8.1 works in 10. One thing that's annoying, the Nook reader doesn't seem to work properly with scaling on so pages don't fill the screen. It works just fine on my 100% scaled desktop screens however. I'm really liking Cortana. I use it constantly for web searches now and while not 100% is generally faster than typing though right after coming out of sleep she's takes a while to become responsive.

Overall Windows 10 is a solid and very capable OS that's very well suited for devices like the Surface line and I think 10 will only help devices like this. The major stumbling blocks have been the forced updates and the of course the privacy hysteria. While there are legitimate concerns over privacy most people already have devices or use services that do similar things and there's no where near the same level of concern. Of course there are concerns for businesses that are unique to Windows regarding privacy but when connected to a domain all of the features that have privacy concerns can be totally disabled.

Back