Amazon Bans Adobe Flash Ads From Its Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon has announced that, starting September 1st, the company will no longer accept Flash based ads on any of its domains.

Beginning September 1, 2015, Amazon no longer accepts Flash ads on Amazon.com, AAP, and various IAB standard placements across owned and operated domains. This is driven by recent browser setting updates from Google Chrome, and existing browser settings from Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari, that limits Flash content displayed on web pages. This change ensures customers continue to have a positive, consistent experience across Amazon and its affiliates, and that ads displayed across the site function properly for optimal performance.

nice...another nail in the Flash coffin...I disable Active X Filtering in IE but it's good to see Flash slowly dying out

many years ago when Apple stopped supporting Flash on their iphones and Mac, and Android phones had one big advantage feature: flash.

Progress is being made to rid the world of Adobe Flash. One website at a time.

Progress is being made to rid the world of Adobe Flash. One website at a time.

Yep. I work in the radio streaming and currently we are running Flash for pretty much everything. After Firefox move to block Flash is when they (higher up's) realised: "Maybe we should move to HTML 5"

So yeah, were on that wagon as well, it's just takes a lot of time.

many years ago when Apple stopped supporting Flash on their iphones and Mac, and Android phones had one big advantage feature: flash.

Yeah, cause its a huge advantage to see crappy Flash ads that exploit everything on your Android and not have to see them on an Apple device. :D

Positive consistent experience?

Consistent yea, positive? I dunno of any end user who finds value of ads on, well, anything.

Don't be so quick to say about time guys. It'll move to html5 and you can't block shit. Hello to unstoppable bandwidth sucking html5 video ads.

Ding dong the wicked Flash is dead.

Ok.. .so maybe not yet, but getting close.

I can't think of anything positive that came from Adobe purchasing Macromedia?

Yep. I work in the radio streaming and currently we are running Flash for pretty much everything. After Firefox move to block Flash is when they (higher up's) realised: "Maybe we should move to HTML 5"

So yeah, were on that wagon as well, it's just takes a lot of time.
Have you tried the flash alternatives? Most of it sucks.

html 5 video and audio players often fail to load properly and forget them auto-starting reliably. Adobe Edge makes creating banners easy but it is nearly impossible to get them to load reliably on dynamically created pages or https pages.

html 5 sounds great on paper but is really a big step backwards so far.

Thank you Amazon. The sooner we see the back of the buggy insecure mess that is Flash the better.

We need some of the big news sites to also do this and force the Advertisers to abandon it completely.

It took a while to get rid of the insecure mess that Oracle's Java became, so it will be nice when we can stop installing Adobe Flash on client PCs.

What is it about these huge businesses - Adobe Oracle - that means their programmers turn out such utter crud with so many constant security bugs in them?

I am still boycotting them until they get the management in line and fix the deplorable working conditions they subject their workers to.

Back