skylake info

Paper launch, all niiight long... shimmy shimmy Seriously tho, if the games con was a soft and today's the hard launch, when's the launch launch?

If a CPU was superconducting and created virtually no heat, exactly how high of an overclock could be obtained before timing irregularities caused issues?

If it was truly superconducting, then you could not do computations on it, as all the transistors would not be semiconductors anymore. I think if only the ON state was super conducting, you still have to deal with switching losses going from OFF to ON.

I really want to upgrade - still on a z77 platform with my 2500k @ 4.2Ghz

Really hard to justify though -- what I mostly want is a new motherboard and dual M2 sata onboard for some Raid0 action over the PCIx bus. The cpu itself doesn't seem THAT much more powerful.

I really want to upgrade - still on a z77 platform with my 2500k @ 4.2Ghz

Really hard to justify though -- what I mostly want is a new motherboard and dual M2 sata onboard for some Raid0 action over the PCIx bus. The cpu itself doesn't seem THAT much more powerful.

the M.2 slot can be SATA, but the high end ones are actually direct PCIe using a protocol called NVME.

The bus is called PCIe not PCIx, PCI-X is actually a different protocol.

Any of these adapters are technically all connected to the CPU over the DMI 3.0 bus. So raid0 NVME drives will likely saturate the DMI bus. Granted the DMI 3.0 bus is still much faster than the DMI2.0 bus and the PCIe of the chipset is 3.0 now instead of 2.0.

Would love to have Skylake as a 6 or 8 core. I guess I have to wait two years?

Would love to have Skylake as a 6 or 8 core. I guess I have to wait two years?

Who knows, technically speaking and as far as anyone knows Intel would launch Broadwell-E first (at some point this year or early next year?) possibly with a new chipset that inherits some of the Z170 developments, and THEN Skylake-E. As erratic as they've been tho, plans could change.

the M.2 slot can be SATA, but the high end ones are actually direct PCIe using a protocol called NVME.

The bus is called PCIe not PCIx, PCI-X is actually a different protocol.

Any of these adapters are technically all connected to the CPU over the DMI 3.0 bus. So raid0 NVME drives will likely saturate the DMI bus. Granted the DMI 3.0 bus is still much faster than the DMI2.0 bus and the PCIe of the chipset is 3.0 now instead of 2.0.
Absolutely spot on. I was going to make the same points.
Who knows, technically speaking and as far as anyone knows Intel would launch Broadwell-E first (at some point this year or early next year?) possibly with a new chipset that inherits some of the Z170 developments, and THEN Skylake-E. As erratic as they've been tho, plans could change.

Broadwell-E was pushed back to at least Q1 of 2016. Intel will almost certainly NOT launch a replacement for X99.

but but but when will the deskopt Skylakes with eDRAM come out???
I'm too on a 2500K with two 768MB GTX460 cards and I want to know if I should wait for Cannonlake.

Although, waiting for nVidia's Pascal seems like a good idea...

This is probably a stupid question, but am I correct that you only get HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2. if you're using the IGP?

I think so.

In theory you can setup a DP in for the thunderbolt out. But I don't know if that's allowable for HDCP 2.2.

so that means I still can't get a laptop that does 4k@60 to a 4k tv/monitor huh

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/skylake-can-handle-three-4k-monitors-at-60hz/

Thanks to an improved version on Intel’s Iris Pro integrated graphics technology, Skylake processors will be able to drive three 4K monitors at 60Hz, according to a report from Mac Rumors. That makes for a significant step up from Broadwell, which could only cope with a single monitor running the same sort of content.

so that means I still can't get a laptop that does 4k@60 to a 4k tv/monitor huh

displayport can do it.
HDMI 2.0 can do it.

Just make sure you know what you're buying, but there should be plenty that can. If I had a type-c to HDMI adapter I actually could test that.

I have an alpine ridge enabled prototype laptop right next to me.

displayport can do it.
HDMI 2.0 can do it.

Just make sure you know what you're buying, but there should be plenty that can. If I had a type-c to HDMI adapter I actually could test that.

I have an alpine ridge enabled prototype laptop right next to me.

yeah but I read that even though newer nvidia mobile gpus support 4k, they're usually not attached to an hdmi 2.0 port, so you get crippled 4k.

I'm not sure if most laptops sold today only have hdmi 1.4.

I hope hdmi 2.0 ports become more common soon so I can upgrade to 4k big screen

if the nvidia is routed through the igp for optimus, then it will also go through alpine ridge.

but but but when will the deskopt Skylakes with eDRAM come out???
I'm too on a 2500K with two 768MB GTX460 cards and I want to know if I should wait for Cannonlake.
So... this is kinda where I'm at with a [email protected]...

Broadwell-e SHOULD have the L4 cache. I want to see what it does before I pull the trigger on a 5820k or a 6700k.

Q1 2016 I'll be making the decision. I am guessing there will finally be several games I want to play that my [email protected]+290x won't be able to handle this holiday season. Currently the only one that I've tried to play and had a bad time with was shadow of mordore.

My trigger finger is itchy intel. Don't cancel broadwell-e and make me wait for skylake-e.

Skylake-e ftw. I would really like to see pcie4 with some good cheap nvme disks, 8 cores and good big cache. If I have to wait for 2 more years then so be it. My 980x is running fine.

So... this is kinda where I'm at with a [email protected]...

Broadwell-e SHOULD have the L4 cache. I want to see what it does before I pull the trigger on a 5820k or a 6700k.

Nothing about broadwell-e means it "should" have the cache. There are tons of broadwell skus and only a few of them have iris or iris Pro.

The big on package L4, isn't a new standard and I'd be very suprised to see it on a 6-8 core package.

As long as the 5820k is significantly cheaper than the 6700k it's pointless. The 6700K should be the 4790K's replacement and priced accordingly.

As long as the 5820k is significantly cheaper than the 6700k it's pointless. The 6700K should be the 4790K's replacement and priced accordingly.

Umm, it is exactly that? Anywhere that has it over $350 USD is just price gouging (I'm guessing in Europe since it's still not available stateside). It's still close to the price of a 5820K, particularly if you live near a Microcenter.

Back