Rambus To Go Into Fabless Chip Production

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy hell! I had no idea that Rambus was still around! :eek:

That said, with their legal battles settled earlier this decade we haven’t heard much from Rambus in the DRAM space as of late; after a run in the PC space with RDRAM and a design win in the Playstation 3 for XDR DRAM, the company has seen little success licensing further DRAM designs.

I would call RAMBUS a patent troll, though I guess technically they are not since they actually did produce a product. I still see a few Dells here and there with RAMBUS sticks in them, in their 256MB of glory (in dual configuration with the "dummy" chips installed in the empty slots of course).

RDRAM was pricey, and had to be used in pairs along with blank ram sticks to fill open slots.
We had one machine a few years ago with 256MB rdram and was going to bump it up to 1GB.
It was cheaper to get a new mobo, cpu, and 2GB DDR3, than to put 1GB into that older machine.

RDRAM was pricey, and had to be used in pairs along with blank ram sticks to fill open slots.
We had one machine a few years ago with 256MB rdram and was going to bump it up to 1GB.
It was cheaper to get a new mobo, cpu, and 2GB DDR3, than to put 1GB into that older machine.

And this is why they have no success.

It might have been technically better back in the day, but the price-performance ratio was way off.

Note to RAMBUS: We have not forgotten.

Fuck Off....

I would call RAMBUS a patent troll, though I guess technically they are not since they actually did produce a product. I still see a few Dells here and there with RAMBUS sticks in them, in their 256MB of glory (in dual configuration with the "dummy" chips installed in the empty slots of course).

No, they just patented it under the noses of all the other design participants.

It might have been technically better back in the day, but the price-performance ratio was way off.

Ya, we never did upgrade that machine. And when my friend passed away last year he left me all the computers and video equipment. I took the Matrox card out of that PC and just disposed of the machine. To me it wasn't worth keeping a P4 1.8Ghz with 256mb of rdram.

Dang, didn't think I'd see RAMBUTT in the news anytime soon.

All you young grasshoppers who didn't get to "experience" RDRAM missed out on the "fun." :D

Continuity RIMMs *two thumbs up* /s

Cockroaches always seem to come back...

Dammit

Was it overpriced? Sure. Did they go sue happy? Yea, it was annoying but I have no particular hatred for RAMBUS.

Rambus, that drunk asshole you kicked out of the party only to find him later lounging by the pool, weezing off the keg.

I would call RAMBUS a patent troll......

RAMBUS is worse than a patent troll. They purposely inserted their technology into the JEDEC standard while stealthily applied for the patents of said technology for the sole purpose of blackmailing the whole industry. I'll avoid their products at all cost. That would not be hard though.

I'll avoid their products at all cost. That would not be hard though.
RAMBUS's XDR memory was used in the PS3 console, and there is at least one manufacturer making it so it might be hidden in any number of embedded systems.

Their agreement with intel benefited VIA getting people who didn't want to bother with that expensive ram but wanted an intel cpu.

I celebrated the day when RAMBUS contract with Intel ended. No more of RAMBUS horse crap. Very surprised RAMBUS is still going after all these years.

Back