The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash

HardOCP News

[H] News
There seems to be a bit of community backlash over the recently released mod tools for The Witcher 3. Head on over to Blue's for all the news.

The release of mod tools on Friday for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt raised questions from fans of the series who were hoping for a more feature-rich editing platform like the REDkit released for The Witcher 2. CD Projekt RED community lead Marcin Momot tweets a reply saying: "@MeerMusik This is the mod support for the Wild Hunt. At this moment we are not planning to release anything else."

You do if you want the dog to start buying more bones from you.

And with mod tools in particular, having them be good is a win-win because not only does it make the modders happy, but they then go and make free content for your game. Look at the amazing amount of stuff people have made for Skyrim, Oblivion, and so on. Then consider that it all cost Bethesda -nothing-. They get to have more content which helps sell the game to more people and they spent nothing on it past the release of the mod tools, which are more or less just a cleaned up and formalized version of the internal tools they use to build things.

And with mod tools in particular, having them be good is a win-win because not only does it make the modders happy, but they then go and make free content for your game. Look at the amazing amount of stuff people have made for Skyrim, Oblivion, and so on. Then consider that it all cost Bethesda -nothing-. They get to have more content which helps sell the game to more people and they spent nothing on it past the release of the mod tools, which are more or less just a cleaned up and formalized version of the internal tools they use to build things.

Never mind that some of the mods for Bethesda games are bugfixes. They love the game so much they patch it. For free.

By taking away the communities ability to generate their own content means more content can be sold as DLC.

This game was so epically unbelievably great, this would just be gravy.

By taking away the communities ability to generate their own content means more content can be sold as DLC.

Please, in some games, sure. This thing already had 5 games worth of content in the base form and then they started releasing DLC for free.

Cellar dwellars are uprising. Who cares. This game was worth far more than the $60 I paid with or without mod tools.

Then bethesda gets greedy and thinks they can monetize the free MODS to make money on them too. They should be thankful to sell more copies of the game due to mods, not monetize them too.

So what is the limitation of this kit versus the one for TW2? The article doesn't really get into it.

Really does feel like a shift towards paid DLC/mods, though, which is unfortunate.

Fucking-A people. They make the game DRM free and have been relatively responsive with patching the game and people still want more and more. "It doesn't look as good as it did in the E3 preview builds!" What game does? "The mod tools don't give me total access to every one of the game assets in the way I think it should!" Since when has that ever stopped the mod community? Make your own tools or take what they give you.

Fucking-A people. They make the game DRM free and have been relatively responsive with patching the game and people still want more and more. "It doesn't look as good as it did in the E3 preview builds!" What game does? "The mod tools don't give me total access to every one of the game assets in the way I think it should!" Since when has that ever stopped the mod community? Make your own tools or take what they give you.

I don't see how they are mutually exclusive. What harm would there be in allowing the community full access to the game so the modding community could create a wider range of custom contents?

Since they are already releasing a tool, might as well go all the way.

It is lame that the tool may have been somewhat nerfed, but at least the game is DRM free, and they are not stopping players from making their own tools. It could have been like Dragon Age: Inquisition and not had any tools.

Making the game DRM free used to be the standard; now we're happy to be locked into publisher specific data mining social networks with limited installations for physical media. DRM free is now a pat on the back special feature.

Patches came in the mail for free or on a magazine disc that you could share with your buddies. Most of the time, they weren't necessary because the game was made and tested by paid individuals who knew what they were doing and not farmed out to teenage masses simply looking for the privilege to get their game on early or interns that don't get to lay their eyes, much less their hands, on actual code.

Statements like this quote make me wonder what level of mediocrity a person is both willing to accept and provide for $60. I wouldn't hire someone with that attitude. Perhaps this is why customer service and product quality is so sorry, because the customer and worker have both been well trained to accept mediocrity and abuse as a fair standard.

Making the game DRM free used to be the standard; now we're happy to be locked into publisher specific data mining social networks with limited installations for physical media. DRM free is now a pat on the back special feature.

Patches came in the mail for free or on a magazine disc that you could share with your buddies. Most of the time, they weren't necessary because the game was made and tested by paid individuals who knew what they were doing and not farmed out to teenage masses simply looking for the privilege to get their game on early or interns that don't get to lay their eyes, much less their hands, on actual code.

Statements like this quote make me wonder what level of mediocrity a person is both willing to accept and provide for $60. I wouldn't hire someone with that attitude. Perhaps this is why customer service and product quality is so sorry, because the customer and worker have both been well trained to accept mediocrity and abuse as a fair standard.

So your saying Witcher 3 is mediocre? First time I've seen anyone say that.

I remember playing a lot of broken games growing up, so I think you are seeing things with rose colored glasses. Also no game this massive would have come out back then. Not to mention, while there were bugs in this game it was completely playable, and there was nothing game breaking for most people.

Fallout 2? Broken mess on release. Then the first patch killed saved games. Maybe my favorite game ever, but it was a disaster on release. Same with Deus Ex and countless other games.

Daggerfall? Hell all the early TES games, those were all bug free glorious gaming. Oh wait never mind, it's one of the most bug plagued series ever. I think maybe console games were relatively bug free in the 90s, though that was because there wasn't a real patch delivery system. That's went bye bye a long time ago. PC games have always been buggy, if anything far more than they are today. Maybe I should be going back to the 80s for examples? That may date me.

Either way, Witcher 3 was a fantastic game on release and they've done nothing but release free content and unnecessary but welcome features since release.

Trolls love to troll, basement dwellers love their soapbox. Big men all of them. They all make my head hurt.

Fallout 2? Broken mess on release. Then the first patch killed saved games. Maybe my favorite game ever, but it was a disaster on release. Same with Deus Ex and countless other games.

Daggerfall? Hell all the early TES games, those were all bug free glorious gaming. Oh wait never mind, it's one of the most bug plagued series ever. I think maybe console games were relatively bug free in the 90s, though that was because there wasn't a real patch delivery system. That's went bye bye a long time ago. PC games have always been buggy, if anything far more than they are today. Maybe I should be going back to the 80s for examples? That may date me.

Either way, Witcher 3 was a fantastic game on release and they've done nothing but release free content and unnecessary but welcome features since release.

Trolls love to troll, basement dwellers love their soapbox. Big men all of them. They all make my head hurt.
Yup!

And a "developer" used to be one guy coding and doing the art and sound himself all in his spare time. And your character used to be represented by a single block and you were lucky if the game made more than three distinct sounds. And games didn't used to come with DRM and then piracy killed the games market. Things change and usually get more complex. If you expect things to be exactly the way you want them, learn to live with disappointment.

Back