Firefox Gets Truly Private Browsing Mode

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Mozilla is beta testing a new Private Browsing feature in Firefox that blocks non-local methods of tracking your behavior online. Traditional “incognito” modes merely prevent things like history or cookies from being recorded, but you are still tracked by website analytics, which Mozilla’s new feature will try to block.

Firefox's current system, for instance, does not save any evidence of what sites you looked at on your local machine, but there's still a third-party record on the sites themselves. The new Private Browsing feature Mozilla is testing, however, actively blocks various components of those sites that could track behavior.

When are they going to improve parallel threading like chrome

The multicore project is still in the works it was suppose to be out by now. I think the delay is trying to keep it backward compatible with all the addons.

The multicore project is still in the works it was suppose to be out by now. I think the delay is trying to keep it backward compatible with all the addons.

Hey that's good news, as long as they are working on it. :D

People still use Firefox? Its more like Netscape now.

It's enabled by default in developer edition so it's reasonably close.

Chrome has it's own problems. You can bet as soon as there's a great alternative you'll hear more about all of them.

Mozilla is beta testing a new Private Browsing feature in Firefox that blocks non-local methods of tracking your behavior online. Traditional “incognito” modes merely prevent things like history or cookies from being recorded, but you are still tracked by website analytics, which Mozilla’s new feature will try to block.

Firefox's current system, for instance, does not save any evidence of what sites you looked at on your local machine, but there's still a third-party record on the sites themselves. The new Private Browsing feature Mozilla is testing, however, actively blocks various components of those sites that could track behavior.

Ghostery blocks this too but it can cause issues on a few sites like when a card transaction is verified by your bank. Firefox gives me a prompt to reload the page without protection which is needed to proceed now. Private mode will likely break this.

The downside is that ways to circumvent the private mode could generate methods that get past Ghostery as well.

I've tried a few times to switch permanently to chrome because of the multi-threading but I always find myself switching back to Firefox. Even after all this time, I find the extensions/addons on Firefox to be of larger variety and more matured.

I still use chrome as an additional browser, but Firefox is my main browser.

IE is not even an option in my mind. And Firefox with Fasterfox extension in turbo charged mode with a few extra tweaks I find to be faster than chrome and Microsoft edge.

I know there's a few other browers but no reason for me to even consider anything else as I'm personally perfectly happy with Firefox, they just really need to add multi-threading and they are golden.

Chrome hasn't worked for me since 8.1. It hangs and crashes upon loading all pages. I'm reasonably o.k. with hanging out with Firefox for the time being.

Back