"Smart Ring" Controller Aims To Change The Way You Play Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I was going to dismiss this as another gimmick, but this kind of thing could be pretty cool for those of us with HTPCs who want an alternative to mice and keyboards on the couch.

"By using Bluetooth Low Energy technology and 9-axis motion control sensor, Talon smart ring could connect with any smart device (phone, tablet, smart TV, smart watch, PC/MAC, or VR headset), and the ring will convert users' hand gestures to appropriate input for the game or application," Titanium said.

Lf7MNXE.jpg

lol, you can observe what your girly is up to by monitoring her finger motion.
You might even learn a technique! :p

A ring like this needs to do just one gesture. Then transmit a... message ...to the radio of the car you made the gesture at...

Seems like it would be great for augmented reality, Google Glass, Hololens and the like. Control things in your head mounted display with some measure of discretion. At least until mind controllers get ironed out.

Oops, I misunderstood how it works. That's what I get for posting without reading the article. Guess it's not really discrete in any way.

I thought there was a little thinkpad style tracknub, blackberry style micro-trackball, mouse style IR tracker, or touch sensitive surface you could move your thumb across on the ring to control a cursor and do other stuff.

Oops, I misunderstood how it works. That's what I get for posting without reading the article. Guess it's not really discrete in any way.

I thought there was a little thinkpad style tracknub, blackberry style micro-trackball, mouse style IR tracker, or touch sensitive surface you could move your thumb across on the ring to control a cursor and do other stuff.

It could be pretty useful in VR though.

Seems like it would be great for augmented reality, Google Glass, Hololens and the like. Control things in your head mounted display with some measure of discretion. At least until mind controllers get ironed out.

By "ironed out" do you mean like "come into existence"? >.>
The last thing I read about people actually mind controlling were... brain wave cat ears in Japan, iirc?

Back