Pigeon Caught Flying Cocaine And Weed Into Prison

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I feel like this could make for a really good Pixar movie. Rewrites would be required, but the story of a pigeon named Narcopaloma turning its life around could be truly inspiring.

The bird was seen landing in the central concourse of the medium security La Reforma jail, in San Rafael de Alajuela, where it was taken into custody.

Dope goes in, Drug Lord goes out. At least we are winning the war on drugs. And yes I know this jail is not in Mexico.

You know, credit for a retro approach, and no way to track down who ordered the cache.

Dope goes in, Drug Lord goes out. At least we are winning the war on drugs. And yes I know this jail is not in Mexico.

Hi All

If there was a war on drugs, they would stop the drugs at the source.

bGo2sZtPrJakK4Hw9

This is the sort of thing that makes me want to just set the world on fire and watch it burn.

It's not even prohibition, it's criminalizing the users who have addiction problems that are the issue. Now you can make an argument for certain levels of legality based on the drug, but too many police agencies have a policy to go after the user more harshly than the supplier under the guise that if they reduce the users, the supply side dries up, some going even crazy as to pass laws that automatically confiscates your car to be auctioned off, I mean WTF kind of strong armed bullshit is this. This is the same as going after Johns and not prostitutes. Horrible policies all around, and who loses? We all do when we're paying through the nose for prisons that house mostly non-violent drug users and what not.

It's not even prohibition, it's criminalizing the users who have addiction problems that are the issue. Now you can make an argument for certain levels of legality based on the drug, but too many police agencies have a policy to go after the user more harshly than the supplier under the guise that if they reduce the users, the supply side dries up, some going even crazy as to pass laws that automatically confiscates your car to be auctioned off, I mean WTF kind of strong armed bullshit is this. This is the same as going after Johns and not prostitutes. Horrible policies all around, and who loses? We all do when we're paying through the nose for prisons that house mostly non-violent drug users and what not.

Not hard: Don't do drugs.

So proud of my city.. I live a couple of miles from the now-famous prison.. It's a complete shithole.

I'm pretty sure the whole bird thing is somehow your fault anyway. I mean the cats are doing their part. What about you?

The Megadeth video is what pleases me. People using birds for delivering drugs is yet another reason I want to watch the world burn.

As for what is my fault... well, that's another story.

Not hard: Don't do drugs.

Actually, for a lot of people - 10% of the population or so - it is hard. The point is the system we have and the "solutions" we are using are not working. There are examples of countries changing their approach and having much better outcomes with cheaper costs. Treating a person is better than just imprisoning them for a short period of time then releasing them back to the problemed area. It creates a cycle that never ends. It only helps the business of prison/law enforcement, not society.

The point is the system we have and the "solutions" we are using are not working. There are examples of countries changing their approach and having much better outcomes with cheaper costs. Treating a person is better than just imprisoning them for a short period of time then releasing them back to the problemed area. It creates a cycle that never ends. It only helps the business of prison/law enforcement, not society.
I agree with this entirely.
BUT... not this:
Actually, for a lot of people - 10% of the population or so - it is hard.
Well, it's not that I disagree, your numbers are, I'm sure, approximately correct. But I disagree with the shifting of the responsibility. EVERYONE (but for, say, those forcefully addicted to drugs to keep as sex slaves etc) who has an addiction problem chose it. Alcohol does not pour itself down your throat so regularly you become dependent on it. No one forces you to try meth, or cocaine etc. At some point, for whatever reason, the individual CHOSE that.

Heaping the responsibility on the state, as opposed to the individual, will never solve the individual, or the state's, problem. Preventing the problem from occurring, THAT is how the issue is solved, and that is for large part, on the individual. Breaking addiction is hard and complicated. Preventing it isn't nearly as much so.

But apparently preventing it is that difficult, because after 100 years of the war on drugs, the same percentage of people are still using them.

So rather than continuing to punish people in a futile attempt to enforce prohibition, let's accept reality and move to treating the medical side of it, which is cheaper, more effective, and creates less of a drain on society.

And that's just the benefits from the treatment of a single person; that isn't even counting in the knock-on benefits of less corruption via the huge amounts of cash sloshing around.

But apparently preventing it is that difficult, because after 100 years of the war on drugs, the same percentage of people are still using them.

So rather than continuing to punish people in a futile attempt to enforce prohibition, let's accept reality and move to treating the medical side of it, which is cheaper, more effective, and creates less of a drain on society.

And that's just the benefits from the treatment of a single person; that isn't even counting in the knock-on benefits of less corruption via the huge amounts of cash sloshing around.

As someone else said, if we wanted to win the war on drugs, we'd go after the source. But you're right. We can't stop post-addiction treatment, but as is, we are essentially doing NOTHING to prevent it. After all, arresting someone after they have possession or a problem is too late: you've failed to prevent the addiction.

I agree with this entirely.
BUT... not this:
Well, it's not that I disagree, your numbers are, I'm sure, approximately correct. But I disagree with the shifting of the responsibility. EVERYONE (but for, say, those forcefully addicted to drugs to keep as sex slaves etc) who has an addiction problem chose it. Alcohol does not pour itself down your throat so regularly you become dependent on it. No one forces you to try meth, or cocaine etc. At some point, for whatever reason, the individual CHOSE that.

Heaping the responsibility on the state, as opposed to the individual, will never solve the individual, or the state's, problem. Preventing the problem from occurring, THAT is how the issue is solved, and that is for large part, on the individual. Breaking addiction is hard and complicated. Preventing it isn't nearly as much so.

It's hard to "kill a source" when the source itself is primarily mother nature. Though, with our policies and whatnot, we are working on killing mother nature soon enough. No more drugs (and alcohol). I don't like the separation of "drugs and alcohol." They are the same. One is just consider okay by society.

Two) it's easier to say "prevention is easy" when you don't exist within that culture that breeds it. The culture I'm talking about is poverty. When you exist outside of the world, you aren't exposed to the same things. Saying it's easy to avoid is like saying it's easy to avoid people. Being exposed and the temptation is as common as oxygen is within the air. Especially, when the only work that most of the people can find is being a drug pusher. A market that exist solely because of it being "outlawed." The government creates this market, thus creates these jobs, and these users.

I personally don't care about what people choose to do with their bodies. However, if we could de-criminalize and just understand that people are going to what they want. We could offer safer areas for people to do them, and we can offer more robust treatment centers to treat them. It isn't just being "liberal" and showing or forcing people to be compassionate. It's understanding that the current system isn't working, and in other areas of the world where they have tried something new, we've been seeing positive results.

Now, I don't believe every person is an addict. Like I said, 10% or so of the population is really the only ones that show signs. These problems lead to other problems; theft, murder, abuse, violence, etc.... So, to treat a person is to hopefully stop them from commiting the other problem areas. Thus, reducing the criminal output. Also, when they take a user, they take a lot more than just that person. They take their job, their home, their money, almost everything. Then, when you release them, they are poor, homeless, and without purpose. What happens then? They rob, steal, break in to homes...start using again because they have no purpose. They are treated as trash. Thus, we continue to soak up the cost, and spend more money to arrest them again.

It's an issue I take close to heart. As, I've been learning about it more and more since I got out of my bubble in the suburbs. I knew a girl that went through treatment. I even went to a couple of those meetings in support. I learned a lot and started seeing things differently. More than just, "kill the source." The problem is the problem exist. It doesn't matter the theory on which causes it or which prevents. We are pass that point. We have to deal with it and accept it.

It's hard to "kill a source" when the source itself is primarily mother nature. Though, with our policies and whatnot, we are working on killing mother nature soon enough. No more drugs (and alcohol). I don't like the separation of "drugs and alcohol." They are the same. One is just consider okay by society.

Two) it's easier to say "prevention is easy" when you don't exist within that culture that breeds it. The culture I'm talking about is poverty. When you exist outside of the world, you aren't exposed to the same things. Saying it's easy to avoid is like saying it's easy to avoid people. Being exposed and the temptation is as common as oxygen is within the air. Especially, when the only work that most of the people can find is being a drug pusher. A market that exist solely because of it being "outlawed." The government creates this market, thus creates these jobs, and these users.

I personally don't care about what people choose to do with their bodies. However, if we could de-criminalize and just understand that people are going to what they want. We could offer safer areas for people to do them, and we can offer more robust treatment centers to treat them. It isn't just being "liberal" and showing or forcing people to be compassionate. It's understanding that the current system isn't working, and in other areas of the world where they have tried something new, we've been seeing positive results.

Now, I don't believe every person is an addict. Like I said, 10% or so of the population is really the only ones that show signs. These problems lead to other problems; theft, murder, abuse, violence, etc.... So, to treat a person is to hopefully stop them from commiting the other problem areas. Thus, reducing the criminal output. Also, when they take a user, they take a lot more than just that person. They take their job, their home, their money, almost everything. Then, when you release them, they are poor, homeless, and without purpose. What happens then? They rob, steal, break in to homes...start using again because they have no purpose. They are treated as trash. Thus, we continue to soak up the cost, and spend more money to arrest them again.

It's an issue I take close to heart. As, I've been learning about it more and more since I got out of my bubble in the suburbs. I knew a girl that went through treatment. I even went to a couple of those meetings in support. I learned a lot and started seeing things differently. More than just, "kill the source." The problem is the problem exist. It doesn't matter the theory on which causes it or which prevents. We are pass that point. We have to deal with it and accept it.

Hi All

Addiction be it either drugs or alcohol crosses all social & economic classes.It isn't just in the poor. It's been documented that it affects all classes equally. Just like cancer

Illicit drugs are a multi billion dollar industry. So you have to ask is there a real desire to stop it. A group of people are making a lot of money so I'd say that the answer is no. in addition drug use has been around almost from day one. It is a behavior/desire that some folk have that isn't going anywhere.

Back