You Can Now Run Windows 10 On Your Mac

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Have a Mac? Can't stand OS X? You can now check out Microsoft’s latest, as Apple has just updated Boot Camp to support Windows 10.

You can install Windows 10 on an internal drive in your Mac. Boot Camp Assistant helps you create a partition on your drive that's compatible with Windows. When you install Windows on a Mac that includes a Fusion Drive, the Windows partition is created on the mechanical hard drive part of the Fusion Drive (not the SSD).

Wow, cool. People can actually do things with their Macs now. :p

Wow, cool. People can actually do things with their Macs now. :p
Been able to do this ever since they switched to Intel chips, it's not new just that it now supports the newest version. This is why MacBook's are the best laptop a tech can have if:eek: he supports both Mac and Windows. No other laptop is capable of running both Windows and Mac. Despite the sour grapes of a few around here, MacBook's are really nice machines if you don't mind the cost.

Been able to do this ever since they switched to Intel chips, it's not new just that it now supports the newest version. This is why MacBook's are the best laptop a tech can have if:eek: he supports both Mac and Windows. No other laptop is capable of running both Windows and Mac. Despite the sour grapes of a few around here, MacBook's are really nice machines if you don't mind the cost.

Amazon has refurbished MacBooks for really good prices as well.

I find most people I know who own Macs just use Mac OS as a launcher to install and manage Windows. App support is pretty dire these days, most people just say "just run Parallels".

You should take your sarcasmometer in for repair. :)

Most of us in the non hipster crowd do not like getting ripped off by over paying for last generation hardware.

Most of us in the non hipster crowd do not like getting ripped off by over paying for last generation hardware.

You clearly aren't who I was taking too. One doesn't have to be a hipster to value a tool for what it is. I'm glad you get to work in a pure Windows environment assuming you do IT support on any level. Some of us don't get that luxury.

Still don't get why people pay a premium for Macs to run iTunes when all the games and professional software are on Windows.

Still don't get why people pay a premium for Macs to run iTunes when all the games and professional software are on Windows.

because they think they are a elite class in some sort of way

i own a ipad since apps run alot smoother , however since samsung uses OLED on their tablets now i might switch.
Was never a fan of android based tablets. However i do own a galaxy modded lolipop for the cell it rocks.

Ah all the malware/spyware windows 10 comments... as you all gladly use iOS and Android.

LMAO.

Ah all the malware/spyware windows 10 comments... as you all gladly use iOS and Android.

And that's the pickle here. As usual Microsoft is late to the game and people late to the party. Much of this stuff in Windows 10 was in 8.1 but no one even thought about it because of to the death arguments over the Windows 8.x UI.

It's too late to complain about these things when you're using them everywhere else to get free stuff. Even if you block ads or install custom ROMS on devices you benefit from the money coming in from those that don't.

But hey, desktop Linux will rule the day because of Android!

basically build a 20k apple machine with 8 cores for 3k on a PC
who is smarter the apple user or the PC user
People tried that for a year when the Mac Pro first came out and it didn't turn out so well.
I don't know if it's any better now as I couldn't care less. I imagine some enterprising manufacturer has managed to cut enough corners to offer some craptastic subpar components to make your dream of owning an otherwise expensive workstation a reality.

Back in the day we had the Apple equivalent in IBM until overseas started undercutting and offering subpar, low quality control knock-offs and bits that one could piece together. It was like building a fort with string and popsicle sticks, however, and the brands that are held in high esteem now were crapshoots then. An MSI or ASUS board might or might not work right out of the box and RMAs took months, if they were honored at all. There were also a dozen different box labels back then. The ones who survived to now were the ones able to pull their shit together. It really wasn't that rosy of a scene...except for the fact PC's could be built for less than $2,000 instead of having to pay $4k-$6k+.

I've had iPad and Nexus7 and didn't notice that.

Ipad air 2? I have never seen since the galaxy or nexus tab was invented that the ipad has lost when it comes to benchmarks.
Apple uses its own gpu which has always been better performing.
Android is great for customization and running other types of apps not approved by apple.
Would i buy a mac over a pc or a iphone over android cell phone.
No

For pure power and the ease of apps, performance, bugs and build quality . I like apple tablets. This might change when the next tablet is released. I really like OLED and samsung uses it on the current tablet.
There is also a seamless user experience i get using ipads vs android based tablets.

People tried that for a year when the Mac Pro first came out and it didn't turn out so well.
I don't know if it's any better now as I couldn't care less. I imagine some enterprising manufacturer has managed to cut enough corners to offer some craptastic subpar components to make your dream of owning an otherwise expensive workstation a reality.

Back in the day we had the Apple equivalent in IBM until overseas started undercutting and offering subpar, low quality control knock-offs and bits that one could piece together. It was like building a fort with string and popsicle sticks, however, and the brands that are held in high esteem now were crapshoots then. An MSI or ASUS board might or might not work right out of the box and RMAs took months, if they were honored at all. There were also a dozen different box labels back then. The ones who survived to now were the ones able to pull their shit together. It really wasn't that rosy of a scene...except for the fact PC's could be built for less than $2,000 instead of having to pay $4k-$6k+.

Here let me bring you up to speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOHPm_7PDo

All the Mac haters - have you even used Mac OS X? As an iOS developer, I use a Mac at work every day. The track pad is great, Xcode is usually nice (can be quirky - but so can Visual Studio, Eclipse, Android Studio, etc).

I will admit Macs are expensive and usually not using the latest processors.

It's required for my job - but I do like the OS. Once you use the trackpad and learn keyboard shortcuts, it's a nice environment to work in.

If you already had a Mac and had it with Windows already on it you could have upgraded day 1 without a hitch.

Interesting that in the first minute he basically reiterates what I wrote: dollar for dollar Apple is competitive if you use the same hardware. Then he goes on to argue that if you select different equipment and overclock it you can potentially save money...(he also points out all the problems they're still working on in regards to power management and driver issues on his build).

You can see right in the video as soon as it starts that he's using single 780 GTX. They're using a Samsung 840 EVO ("not caring that much about performance other than using non-magnetic storage). He justifies that by saying it just needs to be fast enough to run the OS and you can use an external RAID array...but the M/B doesn't have Thunderbolt. This is all on a 4390K with a x79 motherboard.

It's not even close to a professional workstation. At best, it's a last generation gaming station demonstrating yet again that people making this ignorant argument about comparing Mac products' specs to DIY specs don't bother looking beyond a price tag :rolleyes:

(and if anyone cares, skip ahead to 15 minutes where he posts benchmarks compared to a Mac Pro where his build get utterly stomped by the Mac, states that it's only a consumer grade build vs. a commercial grade build (GPU, Xenon, ECC memory), and it's missing the PCIe speed *and* Thunderbolt expansion ports)

What did you do? Just google Hackintosh Workstation and paste the first video that came up without even bothering to watch it? It completely undermines your argument...

Back