Netflix To Pull Plug On Final Data Center

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix announced today that it is finally retiring the last of its data centers later this summer.

Netflix has been shifting technology from in-house data centers to third-party facilities for years now, and it says that the process is coming to its logical conclusion—the company is shutting down the last of its data centers.

Third-party facilities that are owned by Amazon. Who happens to be a little bit interested in entering the streaming video business.

Third-party facilities that are owned by Amazon. Who happens to be a little bit interested in entering the streaming video business.

I'm not very familiar with this subject, but I imagine Amazon could get in big trouble if they pulled something.

There are hundreds if not thousands of companies that use Amazon Services. It's not all that surprising really.

And for a reason.. What they offer i far more robust and cheaper than most of what their competitors offer..

It's true they are in direct competition. And so it is a little bit interesting that AWS would be used for Netflix.

Hmm, so... If Amazon can rent their data centers for cheaper than what Netflix can do themselves they must be making a pretty penny on their own service...

just shut off netflix. i mean just how many b-d movies can one watch!

just shut off netflix. i mean just how many b-d movies can one watch!

i think netflix is worth the tv shows. its 8 bucks a month. which is less than a movie ticket. HBO costs 15 bucsk a month and has maybe 1-2 shows a year . nflx has higher quality original programming IMO .

Hmm, so... If Amazon can rent their data centers for cheaper than what Netflix can do themselves they must be making a pretty penny on their own service...

Actually they are probably paying a bit more for the actual lease then they would on their own equipment. The part that saves them money is not having to own and maintain their own facility, keep trained individuals and maintain their own uptime.

So all those 'lucky' employees of netflix that took the 1 year pregnancy with pay family leave, won't have a job to go back to after all. Funny how that works out.

So all those 'lucky' employees of netflix that took the 1 year pregnancy with pay family leave, won't have a job to go back to after all. Funny how that works out.
Even if that was the case, how is that not better than no paid leave for 1 year and then no job?

Actually they are probably paying a bit more for the actual lease then they would on their own equipment. The part that saves them money is not having to own and maintain their own facility, keep trained individuals and maintain their own uptime.

^This. I lease certain hardware due to uncertainty of future needs and the inherent maintenance. Sure over a 5 year period it would have been cheaper book as a capital expenditure, but 15k expense (over 5 years) of certainty and adaptability is invaluable...

Sucks, more jobs lost due to outsourcing. Personally if I ran a company and actually had the money and capital to have my own data centre I would not want to get rid of that. Much better when you have full control over your infrastructure.

From what I am getting from that article, AWS is basically a backup for Netflix's content since the actual servers that stream content are located in Internet Exchange Points.
Am I reading this correctly?

The CDN equipment isn't going to Amazon or any "cloud" service, a Netflix spokesperson told Ars today. "Those reside in ISP facilities or in data exchange centers, etc. We do use AWS to update the content on them," Netflix said.

Like traditional network operators, Netflix hosts equipment in Internet exchange points, where it exchanges traffic with Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, and other big Internet service providers. Netflix also operates equipment inside the data centers of some Internet providers who have agreed to bring video caches in-house in order to improve service for their Internet users.

I'm not very familiar with this subject, but I imagine Amazon could get in big trouble if they pulled something.

Amazon wouldn't likely try anything as they are making money on their own and from netfilx so they win twice.

Amazon failed with their prime video. No one cares about it anymore.

Amazon failed with their prime video. No one cares about it anymore.

except that this little new show with Clarkson, Hammond, May coming to Prime Video next year is going to probably be one of the most watched streaming shows in the history of the interwebz. :D

It's kinda funny. People claim Netflix sucks. Amazon sucks.

I just pay for both and have used it happily. In the grand scheme of things 99 a year for prime and 8 bucks a month isn't much for what you are getting.

Hell as a dad of a 7 year old the amount that of free babysitting Netflix has given me is worth Hundreds of dollars.

i think netflix is worth the tv shows. its 8 bucks a month. which is less than a movie ticket. HBO costs 15 bucsk a month and has maybe 1-2 shows a year . nflx has higher quality original programming IMO .

1-2 a year but the quality has been amazing over the years...What original content on Netflix compares to...

Deadwood
The Sopranos
The Wire
Six Feet Under
True Detective (especially S1)
Boardwalk Empire
Early True Blood
Rome
GoT
(just the ones I've watched)

Netflix does great stuff and like you said your opinion but come on, they've got a long way to go

1-2 a year but the quality has been amazing over the years...What original content on Netflix compares to...

Deadwood
The Sopranos
The Wire
Six Feet Under
True Detective (especially S1)
Boardwalk Empire
Early True Blood
Rome
GoT
(just the ones I've watched)

Netflix does great stuff and like you said your opinion but come on, they've got a long way to go

maybe 5-10 years ago (most shows are from that timeframe) except GoT, it was worth it but now 15 is a lot. u can buy got episodes for 2-3 bucks. maybe 10 years ago it was a good choice, but now you have a lot of other option.

netflix has OITNB, house of cards, daredevil. and a bunch of 2nd tier shows.

like it said, its just my opinion . but 8 bucks a month isnt bad. compared to HBO which charges 15 bucks a month.

i think netflix is worth the tv shows. its 8 bucks a month. which is less than a movie ticket. HBO costs 15 bucsk a month and has maybe 1-2 shows a year . netflx has higher quality original programming IMO .

Like that Mr.Robot that reflexes all that is wrong in today's shows

Back