Comcast Launching YouTube Rival Called 'Watchable'

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you think Comcast's Watchable network is going to be a hit? Anyone?

The platform, called "Watchable" will be populated with non-exclusive, unlicensed, original content that will stream to users. Comcast has announced content-sharing partnerships with both Vox and Buzzfeed (obviously), as well as a host of other producers including AwesomenessTV, Refinery29, The Onion, Mic and Vice -- even NBC Sports.

So what you're saying is that youtube will now start to have connection issues if you are a Comcast customer?

It could find a niche with subscribers that don't have a smart TV. The UI is probably what will make/break this thing...maybe if they have channels of curated material it could find an audience that way too.. Personally, I don't find myself watching youtube on a TV, but then I don't surf youtube that much...if I go I'm looking for something specific. I suspect if I put the money out for a TIVO that has that integrated I might watch some stuff.

9 years late... Comcast enters the streaming market.. I bet they blame their customers & piracy for it's failure.

This has fail written all over it. Instead of wasting money on shit like this how about lowering my monthly bill?

Sounds like this is the 1st step.
2nd is: bandwidth caps turned back on all over the country. Not just the "test markets"
Then "Stream Comcast content at no impact to your cap as its within our network"

"Feel free to use your bandwidth to stream from other sites But With "Watchable" your choices are UNLIMITED"

Pre-net neutrality this could potentially succeed by Comcast throttling competing services and making their service not count toward the cap.

Might be a bit trickier now to screw the market that way for the time being until congress successfully passes the telco lobby's care package eventually.

So, if I want to watch any clips from NBC-owned channels, this is where I'll have to go to do so.

So, if I want to watch any clips from NBC-owned channels, this is where I'll have to go to do so.

Unlikely. It's pretty obvious this is a service they're providing primarily for cable subscribers and eventually for those using a tablet or phone.

If the UI on the cable box is good, then it'll probably be successful. If it's not, then I assume it won't.

Back