Microsoft Fixes Windows 10 Store Glitch

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft has fixed that Windows 10 store glitch. Everything is fine and all is right with the world again. Well, until something else breaks or a new bug is found.

Microsoft has fixed a problem with the Windows 10 Store that had prevented a number of users from being able to update existing Windows Store apps and/or download new ones. A week after users -- including me -- began reporting problems with the Windows 10 Store, Microsoft seems to have fixed the issue.

Microsoft has fixed a problem with the Windows 10 Store that had prevented a number of users from being able to update existing Windows Store apps and/or download new ones. A week after users -- including me -- began reporting problems with the Windows 10 Store, Microsoft seems to have fixed the issue.

A number of users? Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott are most of the user base.

Doesn't seem fixed to me, 99% of the contents of the Windows Store are still garbage.

Doesn't seem fixed to me, 99% of the contents of the Windows Store are still garbage.

Really? You tried out every app and came to a scientific conclusion? :D I bet Apple and Google have store issues as well but, we do not hear about them because it is not Microsoft of something like that.

But then there are those apps that are very nice. One of my new favorites is a YouTube app called Hyper that's been rewritten and designed and it great on the desktop. It's much better for video playback than the web site.

Really? You tried out every app and came to a scientific conclusion? :D I bet Apple and Google have store issues as well but, we do not hear about them because it is not Microsoft of something like that.

The problem is that many people making these comments haven't used even one store app. I'll be the first to admit that the overall number and quality of apps in the Windows Store compared to Google Play and iTunes is severely lacking. But there are a number of good ones out there and with apps now running on the desktop they make a lot more sense for desktop users now.

The problem is that many people making these comments haven't used even one store app. I'll be the first to admit that the overall number and quality of apps in the Windows Store compared to Google Play and iTunes is severely lacking. But there are a number of good ones out there and with apps now running on the desktop they make a lot more sense for desktop users now.

When I still owned a mobile dev studio we looked, extensively, at the store and the apps available, as did our clients. Fundamentally, no one cared. Our clients would either skip a windows mobile port entirely or just build standard Windows applications so they could hit the maximum number of users. The Windows store is only even vaguely interesting if you also want to use a Windows tablet or phone.

As a developer this is even more appealing; ignore the store and have my software run all the way back to Windows XP with no special handling needed.

If I want to support mobile devices, Windows is the last platform I care about (so much so that I just don't bother). And, at least from an iOS development perspective, the new Microsoft tools for porting/recompiling Objective-C code are less than wonderful, not very necessary and far from complete. On top of which, Microsoft is targeting a model that iOS developers are moving away from.

Those of us that ever had cross-platform desires already had the shareable code in standard C/C++ libraries anyway and/or were using engines/middleware to fill the gaps.

When I still owned a mobile dev studio we looked, extensively, at the store and the apps available, as did our clients. Fundamentally, no one cared. Our clients would either skip a windows mobile port entirely or just build standard Windows applications so they could hit the maximum number of users. The Windows store is only even vaguely interesting if you also want to use a Windows tablet or phone.

As a developer this is even more appealing; ignore the store and have my software run all the way back to Windows XP with no special handling needed.

If I want to support mobile devices, Windows is the last platform I care about (so much so that I just don't bother). And, at least from an iOS development perspective, the new Microsoft tools for porting/recompiling Objective-C code are less than wonderful, not very necessary and far from complete. On top of which, Microsoft is targeting a model that iOS developers are moving away from.

Those of us that ever had cross-platform desires already had the shareable code in standard C/C++ libraries anyway and/or were using engines/middleware to fill the gaps.

Although I respect your choices, this just gives me that much motivation not to use iOS or Android at all. I have never really liked those OSes compared to Windows Phone and I do not want to use a phone I do not like just so I can use an "app" I want to use which, so far, I have not found anything I must have that does not already come on the phone.

This is also why I am concerned about the Apple Auto or Google Auto play stuff. I can see them forcing a user to own a certain type of phone or your phone will not sync to your car. Oh well, I am glad the option of a good phone OS for me is there and I do not have to repeatedly reboot my phone just to get it to work.

Although I respect your choices, this just gives me that much motivation not to use iOS or Android at all.

If you don't like apps, you don't like apps, in which case you're not hindered by Windows Phone.

Oh well, I am glad the option of a good phone OS for me is there and I do not have to repeatedly reboot my phone just to get it to work.

Not sure what phone you're referring to there. I'd say at peak we had anything up to 100 different devices, iOS and Android, for testing and that was never a concern.

I don't remember the last time I had to reboot/reset any phone for anything other than an OS update.

In fact, beyond some early Android devices (2.x and before) I've not encountered any phone where that was an issue since Windows CE/Mobile died (and that was well known for having its Bluetooth, IP and radio stacks shit the bed several times a day), or you were using a Samsung "Blackjack".

Each to their own ... I liked Windows Phone for what it was. For personal use, I don't want to have to use multiple devices when I can do everything I need with one.

Here's a great bug that needs fixing...

Keep file explorer windows from randomly closing and not leaving any event logs on why it randomly closed.

rat bastards.

Bottom line, if Windows 10 proves to be popular there will be app support for it. Maybe not so much on the phone though it looks like it's going to be drop dead simple to just submit many Android APKs to the store.

But even as it stands now my point is that there are plenty of useful apps even for desktop users. There's no reason for YouTube watchers not to use something like Hyper.

Bottom line, if Windows 10 proves to be popular there will be app support for it. Maybe not so much on the phone though it looks like it's going to be drop dead simple to just submit many Android APKs to the store.

But even as it stands now my point is that there are plenty of useful apps even for desktop users. There's no reason for YouTube watchers not to use something like Hyper.

But ... there's no reason that Hyper needs to be an "app" or on the store.

With Windows, as with on OS X, there's a well proven mainstream way to get software for it ... no store, and no special market-limiting coding required.

Unless I needed the store as a distribution mechanism, I gain little as a developer by writing for the Windows "app" model vs. regular Windows applications and I currently lose more than half my potential customer base.

More work, for less potential return, is not a smart way to do business.

I wish there was an app worth keeping other than weather, alarms, calculator, Netflix, and Xbox.

But ... there's no reason that Hyper needs to be an "app" or on the store.

But it is and there are a number of apps like this in the store with no desktop equivalent.

With Windows, as with on OS X, there's a well proven mainstream way to get software for it ... no store, and no special market-limiting coding required.

Unless I needed the store as a distribution mechanism, I gain little as a developer by writing for the Windows "app" model vs. regular Windows applications and I currently lose more than half my potential customer base.

More work, for less potential return, is not a smart way to do business.

Again it all boils down to how popular 10 becomes. XP and Vista are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to new software and the reason why Microsoft made 10 a free upgrade from 7. 7 is getting old and sooner or later it's going to become has been on the consumer side. And it that might be happening even in the enterprise more quickly than many are saying. Bank of America plans to have 10 in testing this fall: http://www.winbeta.org/news/bank-am...10-soon?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter. B of A has one of the largest and most sophisticated Windows client deployments in the world. If they are able to move that quickly to 10 and it goes well that's pretty much the end of 7 being the new XP.

Until Windows 10 is a significant majority of the Windows install base, then apps for desktop users will remain a niche/curiosity at best. One or two, or a handful, of only-available-as-an-app releases isn't even a drop in the ocean.

You can't get around the fact that it's going to take a while before it's not advantageous to just build Windows software for the standard platform and ignore the store. And I get legacy compatibility without doing anything special.

I don't think Enterprise adoption will affect store usage to any significant degree.

That there is no particularly compelling reason for a business to upgrade to Windows 10 currently. As things age out and support (and therefore security) becomes an issue that will change, but who knows what will be flavor of the month by then.

As it stands, with the CIO, CTO and CEOs I've talked with of late they're far more concerned about what they've read about Windows 10 telemetry and data harvesting than they are ANY security issue with their existing deployed platforms (doesn't matter that it isn't there in the versions they'd use or that it can be disabled, the fact it's being discussed has them spooked, especially with CISA doing the rounds again).

Until Windows 10 is a significant majority of the Windows install base, then apps for desktop users will remain a niche/curiosity at best. One or two, or a handful, of only-available-as-an-app releases isn't even a drop in the ocean.

I agree, it will be about the numbers and I think that the numbers for Windows 10 will be very good in time. There's really no reason why they won't be. As Windows 10 becomes more and more of the desktop market then only-available-as-an-app releases becomes the bulk of Windows machines and all the new ones particularly in the consumer space where more and more people will see the store app looking for new apps for their new devices.

You can't get around the fact that it's going to take a while before it's not advantageous to just build Windows software for the standard platform and ignore the store. And I get legacy compatibility without doing anything special.

Accept that there are things that you do get going the app route. Windows tablets are actually becoming a decent chuck of Windows device sales. You can leverage the cloud and services in ways that don't work on the desktop top.

I don't think Enterprise adoption will affect store usage to any significant degree.

The more Windows 10 devices then the more Windows 10 devices. That helps the store indirectly if nothing else.

That there is no particularly compelling reason for a business to upgrade to Windows 10 currently. As things age out and support (and therefore security) becomes an issue that will change, but who knows what will be flavor of the month by then.

As it stands, with the CIO, CTO and CEOs I've talked with of late they're far more concerned about what they've read about Windows 10 telemetry and data harvesting than they are ANY security issue with their existing deployed platforms (doesn't matter that it isn't there in the versions they'd use or that it can be disabled, the fact it's being discussed has them spooked, especially with CISA doing the rounds again).

Which is why the B of A deployment is so important. If they can roll it out without major issues it hard to imagine any company that would have more real concerns about privacy and security than them.

Since there's nothing I can do in an "app" that I can't also do in desktop software, I'm unsure just how I'd leverage the cloud in an "app" that I couldn't similarly leverage anywhere else.

Sure, there are things I can use a tablet for that a desktop, or even laptop, isn't suited for. Not sure how the cloud or services is relevant to the discussion though; there's nothing unique to Windows in those domains.

Unless BofA are indemnifying other CEO's (etc.) about issues arising from Windows phone-home behavior (be it real or just executive paranoia), it's just noise to most decision makers. Bad news and paranoia will always trump happy news for eyeballs and impact.

I'll exit the conversation here.

I don't run Windows personally anymore, so it doesn't affect me there.

No amount of pontification or argument will convince me that "apps" on Windows will be more than an afterthought and will continue to come in anywhere but a very distant third place to iOS and Android. Not that it matters much; I sold my dev studio a while ago and well before that I'd already stopped even offering Windows device ports for the iOS and Android apps we were contracted to build (there was never enough demand for it).

All the telemetry and data collection in Windows 10 is a big turd in the punch bowl. Even for versions/configurations where it's not relevant it has soured the perception of the product already. Convincing people that it's not doing sneaky shit behind the scenes, even with those settings disabled/not present, is going to be an uphill battle. And there's an article on it today, I think, showing that it's still sending data/phoning home even with all those options disabled.

The Windows Store will support the deployment of Win32 apps this fall. There are some advantages to using the universal app API. Better built in support for resolution scaling, touch and power management, etc.

But it's all going to be in the numbers. Guesstimets of Windows 10 numbers are coming in at around 50 million after just 16 days. I know there's the issues that have been raised over privacy and forced updates but overall those don't seem to be a problem generally. And it is not because everyone is stupid and isn't aware of these things as consumers have overwhelmingly accepted the privacy trade-offs on phones.

We'll see but I think it's safe to say that Windows 10 is not going to be a repeat of Windows 8.x when it comes to desktop market share. The free and inline upgrade process pretty much assured that.

While I may have overstated for effect, you're sadly mistaken. My frustration with the Store stems from trying to use it a lot. I keep looking for useful software, and am greeted with "apps" that just display the mobile web page of the author (which is totally useless on my PC) or scads of misleading junk. Not only that I've had several different issues that have corrupted all my installed apps, made it impossible to install new apps or lost all my data in one or many apps. The whole experience has been terrible.

Also, who cares how it compares to Google Play or iTunes, a massively low percentage of the users of Microsoft's Store are running phones or tablets. Microsoft has billed these Apps as the new face of Windows since Windows 8 and done a terrible job running their store. There is some hope that things are improving since the launch of Windows 10, maybe there will be a point where the store will be the easiest place to download any Windows app. But it's not today.

While I may have overstated for effect, you're sadly mistaken. My frustration with the Store stems from trying to use it a lot. I keep looking for useful software, and am greeted with "apps" that just display the mobile web page of the author (which is totally useless on my PC) or scads of misleading junk. Not only that I've had several different issues that have corrupted all my installed apps, made it impossible to install new apps or lost all my data in one or many apps. The whole experience has been terrible.

What is and isn't useful will depend very much by the individual. For those looking for all manner of advanced tools and such will be disappointed which would be normal for a place like this. But there are a number of useful and great apps for average people in the Windows Store. Not nearly enough or of the quality they need to be but there's still options there for a number of things that don't exist in the Win32 world. Mostly in the social media, casual gaming, content consumption world which isn't the norm for a place like this but it is normal for the average PC user.

Also, who cares how it compares to Google Play or iTunes, a massively low percentage of the users of Microsoft's Store are running phones or tablets. Microsoft has billed these Apps as the new face of Windows since Windows 8 and done a terrible job running their store. There is some hope that things are improving since the launch of Windows 10, maybe there will be a point where the store will be the easiest place to download any Windows app. But it's not today.

While Windows phones are pretty much a failure touch x86 Windows devices are faring a lot better, particularly hybrid devices like the Surface line. Without these devices retail x86 Windows sales would be in far worse shape than the bad state they are already in.

There is a reality here. The demand for conventional desktops and laptops will never be what it used to be. Less "spyware" nor Aero glass nor fill in the blank is going to change that. No one is looking to write the next big app for a desktop or laptop be it Windows or OS X or Linux. This is not saying the desktop is dead but at some point if you're Microsoft you have to accept that the best days in that world are behind us. If no one cares about the Windows Store, two less shits will be given over SteamOS running on a SteamBox. Install desktop Linux to be free of spyware. Beyond the click bait world that's complaining about Windows 10 with tracking ads, zero fucks will be given.

Microsoft at this point it doing the only logical and rational thing it can. Make Windows as cheap as possible upfront to consumers as possible and make the money elsewhere if possible. There's no other choice for them.

I cant even use the damn thing at all on clean install. Every time I search, it closes on me.

The Windows store is only even vaguely interesting if you also want to use a Windows tablet or phone.

Holy shit you don't say? Mobile apps are inferior to computer apps/programs? :eek: :confused:

Though seriously, thanks for developing regular computer apps designed with computers in mind.

Back