Del Toro: I Will Never Again Get Involved In Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Guillermo Del Toro says he is bad luck to every video game project he's ever been on. I can't say I disagree. :eek:

During our interview, we spoke to him about his ambitions in the video game space. “I have proven to be the albatross of video games,” he says. “I joined THQ, and THQ goes broke. I join Kojima, and Kojima leaves Konami. I have decided, in order not to destroy anyone else’s life, I have decided I will never again get involved in video games. Otherwise, I’ll join someone and his house will explode, or something.”

Fine by me, he's a great director but it seems like he doesn't understand video games at all.

Or looks like he is someone who has a sense of humor and can laugh about things. Did you even watch the video?

Yup I did. But thanks for feeling the need to go at me. He just is a bit too dramatic about things.

His best movie was still easily Pan's Labyrinth. That being said this is a shame, the P.T demo for silent hills was flat out brilliant

Yup I did. But thanks for feeling the need to go at me. He just is a bit too dramatic about things.

Game development can be hell. Just look at what Kojima is going through with Konami now. Companies like Infinity Ward dissolved in the blink of an eye.

Fine by me, he's a great director but it seems like he doesn't understand video games at all.

Actually,I think the video game industry doesn't understand what it takes to make a good game based on outside material,such as movies or comics. I think Del Toro's movies work for me because he seems to be a fan who appreciates the source material of his movies,like the Hell Boy comics and the kaiju genre. I would have loved to see him direct the recent Godzilla movie.

He doesn't understand videogames? You forgot about P.T. already? His first foray into games, INSANE, was like 4 years into production and went under because THQ was mismanaged. That wasn't his fault whatsoever, and THQ infact thought INSANE was going to save the company and but them back on track.

We will never get that game.

He then teamed up with Kojima for Silent Hills and P.T...but if things are to be believed, Kojima knew they were never making Silent Hills and it was only ever going to be P.T.

Again, not Del Toro's fault, but at least we got something tangible and amazing out of it.

I hope he isn't serious and when Kojima lands himself a boutique studio at some other company, he can be convinced to at least team up once again.

Truth be told, the guys very busy and in demand, and probably doesn't really have time to be dabbling in videogames with his production schedule. And yes, it must be disappointing that in 10 years he's been screwed twice. But, he seems to have an itch for it, and we will get a Del Toro game at some point once the sting of Silent Hills subsides or something happens with the Insane property (wherever that landed)

This reminds me of my old Quake days on Mplayer. I somehow killed every clan I joined. They'd fall apart a few months after I'd get invited. I didn't really do anything, it just happened. I think I managed to kill about 6 before I stopped accepting any invitations.

stick with movies Del Toro...although he also backed out of The Hobbit trilogy...

Back