Uber Driver Accused Of Kidnapping, Sexual Assault

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many times has Uber been in the headlines for this kind of stuff? :eek:

The woman told police she offered Aiello money and asked several times to be let out of the vehicle. Aiello yelled at her and demanded sex as payment, then stopped the vehicle off Savannah Highway near McLeod Road, and attacked and sexually assaulted her, according to the affidavit.

If it wasn't for the app and "technology" angle Uber wouldn't even make the news and would have been shut down long ago.

lol...
he admitted to offering the woman a ride when she was “too drunk,” and said he pulled off Savannah Highway, kissed her, performed oral sex on her and then kicked her out.

and..

woman was having trouble immediately recalling details of the assault but remembers being attacked and Aiello on top of her. The police incident report labeled the crime as “forcible rape.”

so does not mean she was not satisfied so she call it a rape?

lol...

and..

so does not mean she was not satisfied so she call it a rape?

There's been like a long standing precedent set by courts that people can't actually consent if they're drunk. So basically, if someone else has been drinking, pretty much keep your disgusting bits to yourself since no matter what they say, they're not considered like with it enough to legally consent.

how often does it happen in taxis and how often does that go unreported/unsolved may be interesting for comparison. In Milwaukee near the college campuses you always hear horror stories of taxi drivers driving students to ATMs to withdrawal their funds or rape. One key difference is the rapist isnt tied to a smartphone/traceable app which may make uber criminals easier to capture.

If it wasn't for the app and "technology" angle Uber wouldn't even make the news and would have been shut down long ago.

If it wasn't for moron VC investors and over-inflated valuations of anything labeled a "tech startup" Uber would've gone under a long time ago. They're not even making any money and people keep giving them more as an "investment". Uber is just a godawful idea. Yeah let's take all the regulation and background checks out of the taxi industry and let any random jackass with a newer car be a driver. That ought to work out really well. :rolleyes:

Are you guys taxi drivers?

I live in an urban area and use uber frequently. It's great.

Watch out for those google cars.

Are you guys taxi drivers?

I live in an urban area and use uber frequently. It's great.

Watch out for those google cars.

I'd trust a self-driving car not to kidnap and rape me more than the random jackholes that Uber hires.

I'd trust a self-driving car not to kidnap and rape me more than the random jackholes that Uber hires.
How thoroughly vetted do you think your average taxi driver is? I've seen plenty of them try to rip people off or turn down fares because they don't want to make "a short trip".

Uber ensures that all trips are tracked and rides are allocated fairly.

This guy is a total creep, but you can't generalize an entire populace by the actions of one individual.

I don't know. You've seen the tenacle Tesla designed. I'm pretty sure a self driving Tesla could work something out.

How thoroughly vetted do you think your average taxi driver is? I've seen plenty of them try to rip people off or turn down fares because they don't want to make "a short trip".

This guy is a total creep, but you can't generalize an entire populace by the actions of one individual.

One solution that uber should investigate is require that all drivers install a two way dash cam (front for road, back for passenger) that they send out. Give them a gold star on their profile or something for " added security ".

One solution that uber should investigate is require that all drivers install a two way dash cam (front for road, back for passenger) that they send out. Give them a gold star on their profile or something for " added security ".
As much as I hate it; cameras seem to be the best way to keep people honest. As uber driver already has an smartphone for gps all they would need to do it turn on the camera.

arguing over a fare is in an entirely different category from robbing and/or raping someone :rolleyes:

the difference between a professional taxi driver who may or may not have criminal inclinations is that he's doing the same job day in and day out, has a license, and has a traceable number with his car.

an uber driver, however, is literally just somebody willing to sign up and go out for a night and be a driver. you could sign up, do it for a day, and then never do it again. what happens in that single night is between you and the hapless person you pick up. that's a huge window for criminally inclined people to jump in and access hundreds of thousands of potential victims.

It's theoretically true that a bank teller at a traditional banking institutions could scam you out of your money when you go in for a deposit.

But it's ridiculous to think your exposure to danger is the same than if people were able to set up little bank stands on street corners and take deposits for a day.

As much as I hate it; cameras seem to be the best way to keep people honest. As uber driver already has an smartphone for gps all they would need to do it turn on the camera.

The camera accomplishes nothing unless it is a live feed and can't be disabled without the driver being terminated as an Uber driver.

arguing over a fare is in an entirely different category from robbing and/or raping someone :rolleyes:

the difference between a professional taxi driver who may or may not have criminal inclinations is that he's doing the same job day in and day out, has a license, and has a traceable number with his car.

an uber driver, however, is literally just somebody willing to sign up and go out for a night and be a driver. you could sign up, do it for a day, and then never do it again. what happens in that single night is between you and the hapless person you pick up. that's a huge window for criminally inclined people to jump in and access hundreds of thousands of potential victims.

It's theoretically true that a bank teller at a traditional banking institutions could scam you out of your money when you go in for a deposit.

But it's ridiculous to think your exposure to danger is the same than if people were able to set up little bank stands on street corners and take deposits for a day.
Uber drivers are definitely traceable. They provide information for a background check and each trip is tracked via gps.

The app even displays the license plate so you know you're getting into the right car.

If your plan is to harm people; doing it as an uber driver is a really good way to get sent to jail.

Between me, my friends, and family I know enough people that have taken hundreds of uber trips without incident.

How thoroughly vetted do you think your average taxi driver is?

I've seen this myself, and I rarely take a taxi.
Last time the driver got lost due to a small freeway detour. After watching him miss multiple detour signs and get even further lost, I pulled out my phone and Google maps, and directed him back to the freeway. Luckily it was a prepaid set fare (from an airport) or it would have cost me 3 times as much.

A few times before that, while in another country, the driver turned the wrong way (opposite way of the signs) and took a much longer route to the airport, almost making us late for the flight.

How thoroughly vetted do you think your average taxi driver is?
Yeah this, I mean this guy just happened to be a random schmuck who happened to work for Uber, he could just have easily been a taxi driver, or a bus driver, or any public employee.

Oh lookie here!
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28107135/denver-police-say-cab-driver-accused-molesting-passed
And where was this all over every news outlet everywhere? Uber really does get the short end of the stick when it comes to bad press. Fact of the matter if you weigh the number of infractions caused by taxi drivers versus Uber drivers I don't think I'd ever want to take a taxi ever again (well I don't but for much different reasons)

The woman told police she offered Aiello money and asked several times to be let out of the vehicle. Aiello yelled at her and demanded sex as payment, then stopped the vehicle off Savannah Highway near McLeod Road, and attacked and sexually assaulted her, according to the affidavit.
Well that's what the 1 star rating is for.

If it wasn't for moron VC investors and over-inflated valuations of anything labeled a "tech startup" Uber would've gone under a long time ago. They're not even making any money and people keep giving them more as an "investment". Uber is just a godawful idea. Yeah let's take all the regulation and background checks out of the taxi industry and let any random jackass with a newer car be a driver. That ought to work out really well. :rolleyes:

It does work out well. Get cheaper fares and more responsive. It's great! I've used Taxis and Uber for awhile now. I vastly prefer the service of Uber.

Yeah this, I mean this guy just happened to be a random schmuck who happened to work for Uber, he could just have easily been a taxi driver, or a bus driver, or any public employee.

Oh lookie here!
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28107135/denver-police-say-cab-driver-accused-molesting-passed
And where was this all over every news outlet everywhere? Uber really does get the short end of the stick when it comes to bad press. Fact of the matter if you weigh the number of infractions caused by taxi drivers versus Uber drivers I don't think I'd ever want to take a taxi ever again (well I don't but for much different reasons)

It's because it's an anti-union outfit. It's going to get the brunt of all the bad press it'll muster.

No government regulation, cheap fares and rating system.. Is the choice not obvious..?

Uber drivers are definitely traceable. They provide information for a background check and each trip is tracked via gps.

The app even displays the license plate so you know you're getting into the right car.

If your plan is to harm people; doing it as an uber driver is a really good way to get sent to jail.

Between me, my friends, and family I know enough people that have taken hundreds of uber trips without incident.
Sure they are :rolleyes:

Yous hop in an unregulated cab, yous take your chances. Welcome to Uber, dipshit.

This is EXACTLY the reason cabs have such strict regulations...that Uber feels it can ignore because it's an "app".

Back