Robotic Lawn Mower Gets U.S. Regulatory Approval

HardOCP News

[H] News
And so it begins. Trust me, this will not end well.

The future of free-wheeling automated yard work took a step closer to American consumers on Wednesday after U.S. regulators gave robot maker iRobot Corp Inc technical clearance to make and sell a robotic lawn mower.

So this will leave a zigzag pattern across your lawn as the Roomba did for carpet?

So this will leave a zigzag pattern across your lawn as the Roomba did for carpet?

Some of them, at least the older ones, you mark the property with a wire around the perimeter and it mows all inside it. They seem to work pretty well.

We are going to find out soon that Maximum Overdrive was really prophecy made into a movie.

Robotic lawn mowers have been for sale for a couple of years already.

Besides the grass, it will probably mow down the little bunny rabbits in the yard too. I couldn't have a robotic mower where I live.

Don't know why this is news. I've been using Robomowers since 2003. The battery technology (lead acid) could stand to be updated, but they are fairly robust and reliable. The mowers and perimeter signal generators get stored in the shed when not in use. Leaving it all outdoors just so they can be more autonomous isn't good for the electronics. Lighting and insects takes out a lot of the Robomowers that live outside with the perimeter signal generators and charging docks.

And seek out the nearest object to get stuck under?

Just a process of eliminating the obstacles that the mower can't deal with. Perimeter wire around bushes and adding fill around tree roots...etc. I setup the perimeter wire as close as possible to fences and other obstacles. Roundup kills whatever the mower doesn't cut. I haven't used a string trimmer in years.

Though mine always seem to end the cutting session as far from the shed as possible while still remaining in the yard.

Another owner had one follow the metal handle of a pool skimmer right into the in ground pool. It survived.

Has anyone here seen the movie Gnomeo & Juliet? I am not recommending it, just wondering if anyone saw the lawnmowers in that movie.

Why can't we start with autonomous window washers or sidewalk sweepers? Why do they have to be equiped with spinning blades, etc?

<KOsborne>Great so how many Mexican's are going to be out of work now due to this!</KOsborne>

Back