Career Choices – Lawyer? Doctor? Gamer?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why bother going to school to become a doctor or lawyer? This guy says you should just become a professional gamer and make $500,000 a year! :rolleyes:

It’s true, why go to a university, when you could sit on your ass all day playing a popular game you’re semi-decent at. Spend six months of your life working on your charisma, another three months getting some-what decent at a game, find a reliable internet source and there you have it, the start of your gaming career. With the gaming industry growing bigger and bigger, now is the perfect time to invest in it.

I agree ... why should failed professional athletes be the only people working as high school coaches and restaurant managers ... geeks and nerds demand equal opportunities to become dismal failures and spend their entire working careers in their parents basement :D

People can make money in gaming currently because the market is developing ... like a lot of markets (including apps, blogs, etc) it becomes a lot more difficult to rise to the upper income tiers when everyone is doing it and you have to stand out in a crowd of 1,000,000 instead of a crowd of 1,000 :cool:

Given the choice, I'd rather have enough education and business acumen to own 1, or multiple, teams of $500,000/year "e-athletes".

Different people aim at different heights I guess. :p

such a shortsighted view.

How many game streamers are broke and cutting their lives short with their sedentary lifestyle...

What happens to the other guys who are not theradbrad or that other totalbuscuit dude

It's ironic the author of this article is a fulltime student of psychology.

Why go to school again?

It's ironic the author of this article is a fulltime student of psychology.

Why go to school again?

I was about to ask, did anyone read the author's short little bio at the end?

James Bates is a full-time gamer. His passion for eSports is demonstrated by his top-tier League of Legends (LoL) ranking. His Diamond ELO designation puts him in the top 0.1% of LoL players. Beyond his writing and gaming ventures, James is also a full-time psychology student.

Ah, yes, such a wonderful, non-biased, well-educated specimen of society.

I'm sorry, but when your only achievement worthy of a blurb in your bio is "I'm gud at LoL" then you're not exactly at the pinnacle of human achievement.

The author is prolly just trying to justify to himself and his parents why he can't make it in college and to feel better about dropping out and living in the garage playing video games all day.

I was about to ask, did anyone read the author's short little bio at the end?

Yeah, I thought that it was pretty ironic that Mr. Top 0.1% LoL Player writes for a living instead of raking in that $500k per year. ;)

Also, there are 5,000,000,000,000,000 kids playing video games on Twitch and YouTube for every $500K professional gamer.

versus

One doctor / lawyer for every student that graduates from med school / passes the bar (for the most part).

Why do people on here seem to think it requires so little work?

The teams competing in the major dota tournaments typically live together and train together every single day. Or being sponsored players meaning they are required to stream x amount of hours per week. Not to mention these are not average players, i watched PPD's draft analysis for the grand finals and i learned alot, even though i rank among the top .1% of dota players the pros still are better than me in many aspects of the game

such a shortsighted view.

How many game streamers are broke and cutting their lives short with their sedentary lifestyle...

What happens to the other guys who are not theradbrad or that other totalbuscuit dude

It is similar to when the apps stores first launched there was a suggestion that everyone could become an app programmer and millionaire (based on a few anecdotal success stories) ... the reality is that most apps made a few dollars at most and that the competitive landscape for apps is very very tough ... gaming is no different and actually even harder than some other professions as there are fewer premiere spots available to fill (do we really need 1000 Total Biscuits or 1000 Fatal1ty's ;) )

One doctor / lawyer for every student that graduates from med school / passes the bar (for the most part).

And won't be able to make enough money in decades to pay for the studend loan. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought that it was pretty ironic that Mr. Top 0.1% LoL Player writes for a living instead of raking in that $500k per year. ;)

Also, there are 5,000,000,000,000,000 kids playing video games on Twitch and YouTube for every $500K professional gamer.

versus

Yeah basically this.. yeah a GOOD twitch streamer can make a living from it, the other 99.9999% of it that are just awkward gamers with a stream may be lucky enough to make enough money to pay for their ISP.

Given the choice, I'd rather have enough education and business acumen to own 1, or multiple, teams of $500,000/year "e-athletes".

Different people aim at different heights I guess. :p

I might buy a lottery ticket tonight. maybe.

I might buy a lottery ticket tonight. maybe.

Odds of making money are actually much higher as a gamer than the lottery!

(Psst... See, I'm starting to recruit already and that's with no money out of pocket so far!) :)

Next up, mooching for sponsorship money.

Currently an adjunct lecturer at a university to help fund my graduate studies in applied mathematics and hoping to obtain a PhD.

Before all that, I pretty much nolifed games, especially MMO's and CSS. I was pretty good too lol

Do both :D

Now we can have throngs of failed professional gamers to join the millions of failed professional athletes the world over.

Though I suppose if you genuinely have the skill and talent to make it as a top tier DoTA player then you could probably go back to school without having to worry about money once all your fast fibers in your hands have broken down to the point your no longer competitive in your late 20's.

I'm all for doing whatever you love but I will say that I tried to "do what I love and not worry about the money" and it kind of sucks. In my personal opinion and from what I've experienced in life, better to "do something you can tolerate and make a lot of money".

You play the DOTA on the twitch.tv
No, that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Your money for nothing and your chicks for free

[Sting:]
I want my, I want my, I want my twitch.tv
I want my, I want my, I want my twitch.tv

I one up the article writer and ask, why go to school when you can get a trade and make tons of money with no student loans and your not a social outcast lol. This is of course depending on your country most likely, but in Canada your hard pressed to find a journeyman welder, electrician, mechanic ect that makes less than 100k (good ones closer to 200k).

Saying you should become a professional gamer is like saying you should become a professional athlete. If you bank your whole future on one dream that isn't guaranteed to pay well then you deserve to live with mommy for the lest of your life as a burger flipper. At least people going to school to be a doctor or lawyer know there is a good chance they will have a job somewhere.

Back