$2,500 Drone That Hacks Computers

HardOCP News

[H] News
This $2,500 drone that hacks computers has just given the anti-drone crowd another reason to stock up on 00 buckshot.

A company called Aerial Assault has turned a quadcopter into a flying hacker that scans the world below for insecure devices and vulnerable Wifi ports. Its makers say they built the tool for penetration testing — to help “good guys” diagnose their own weaknesses — but they concede that with a bit of modification, it could be used to exploit those vulnerabilities and install malware from the air.

This is no different than someone driving around with a laptop running a sniffer.

Yup, I say drone usage needs to be severely constrained. At the local level, please.

tbh, i'd probably use #4 buck. Of course, one might have to change that depending on the altitude it's flying at.

On the list of things drones can do, this is not nearly as bad as it could get.

1. bombs, chemical agents and ionizing isotopes
2. dropping contraband into secure areas like prisons / airports (guns, drugs, phones, etc)
3. Listening/hacking

People are going to just keep pushing it with drones until the things are regulated out of existence.

People are going to just keep pushing it with drones until the things are regulated out of existence.
What was the drone end game for civilians anyway? What good is there to be had from flying these things around in public areas?

I'm not ready to call Steve a Nostradamus or anything prophet-like, but I'll be damned, the guy usually can sort the truth from the bullshit.

The robots are going to kill us.

This looks like it's basically a sub <$1000 quadcopter with a raspberry pi strapped to it. Talk about a markup.

Back