Verizon Tests Superfast 10 Gigabit Internet Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
Verizon has successfully completed a test of a new technology on its industry-leading, fiber-to-the-premises network, that in the future could easily provide businesses and consumers with upload and download Internet speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second (Gbps), and the potential to increase this speed even further. The technology will have the system capacity to grow to 40-80 Gbps as the market demands, according to Lee Hicks, vice president of network technology for Verizon. This is possible by simply adding new colors of light onto the existing fiber, each augmenting the capacity by up to 10 Gbps.

I think they really need to work on the existing infrastructure first. 10Gb sounds excellent, but most people can't get any better than 3Mbps. I'm at 25Mbps, but that's as high as it goes and I feel lucky.

Even then, the policies for internet connections - transfer caps, throttling, etc.. Or giving more control to RIAA/MPAA. That shit needs fixed.

10Gb. Limited markets of 2 towns within 1/4 mile of a fiber distribution point, given that you are the 3rd house on the right. 4th house is too far. Out of luck. Even if 'technically' the fiber box is in your yard, it doesn't count....

I can hit max transfer speeds with Verizon on things like torrents pretty easily. Yet youtube or twitch is still terrible, I say up those connections first Verizon. The one to my house is fine, the one out of your shitty network is the problem....

I am a little behind on WiFi standards but do we have a wireless protocol that comes close to those speeds ... most people now connect to the internet wirelessly (even at home) ... so other than our main modem which has to have a direct connection, everything else tends to be a wireless connection ... or will this just mean that we can connect 500 people to our router before we get delays

So, 10 gigabit speed, 350GigiByte cap.
That means I could hit my cap in less than 5 hours.
What do I do for the other 715 hours (99.3%) of the month ?

LOL Verizon and 10gb/s will probably cost like $1500/month. Let me know when when you get me my FiOS at Google Fiber rates of $80/month for 1gb/s service.

Fyi, researching new tech doesn't tax an entire company. They can explore this and work on other improvements too. In fact having this done earlier means they have it in time for when they actually can roll it out, instead of just building the infrastructure then researching the tech.

So, 10 gigabit speed, 350GigiByte cap.
That means I could hit my cap in less than 5 hours.
What do I do for the other 715 hours (99.3%) of the month ?

Came looking for the message about caps, thanks for not disappointing...

Of course there's the fact that Verizon doesn't do caps on FIOS!
I've personally hit >3TB in a month, didn't even get a letter from them!

I think they really need to work on the existing infrastructure first. 10Gb sounds excellent, but most people can't get any better than 3Mbps. I'm at 25Mbps, but that's as high as it goes and I feel lucky.
Fiber to the home and you only get 25Mbps? Now Verizon is claiming to be able to push 10Gbps with 40-80 in the future? Something doesn't add up here!

I am a little behind on WiFi standards but do we have a wireless protocol that comes close to those speeds ... most people now connect to the internet wirelessly (even at home) ... so other than our main modem which has to have a direct connection, everything else tends to be a wireless connection ... or will this just mean that we can connect 500 people to our router before we get delays

Wireless is share, so if 100 people are connected and using your wireless, each only have 1% available.
Even though 802.11ac is rated at 1300 mbps (on the 5ghz), you'll be lucky if you get 150 mbps in real life. That's nothing compared to a 10gbit line (10,000 mbps)

The input port on most consumer routers maxes out at 1gbit, so unless you are going to buy a very expensive business level router, you are not going to have anything to connect at 10gbit.

Maybe they will roll this out to a very small fraction of their FIOS customers to complement the very small fraction of the US that saw FIOS rollout.

Fiber to the home and you only get 25Mbps? Now Verizon is claiming to be able to push 10Gbps with 40-80 in the future? Something doesn't add up here!

No, I'm on DSL. But, for most parts of the country, 3Mbps is what they can get - DSL or otherwise.

I keep hearing this new technology. But, the majority of the country is using the same technology and lines as they did 15 years ago. Speed has increased a bit, but not a ton.

If a few markets are getting better speeds, but everyone else is stuck on the old technology and it never improves, there's little point. Even some larger cities are barely at 50Mb, if that.

I keep hearing that they are improving their network, but the few people that actually say "I got faster speed!" is lower and less frequent than it should be. More people are saying "I'm still slow. It's the fastest I can get where I live...".

LOL Verizon and 10gb/s will probably cost like $1500/month. Let me know when when you get me my FiOS at Google Fiber rates of $80/month for 1gb/s service.

Glad I'm moving to an area where Google Fiber is rolling out to. I'll actually get internet service worth paying for.

These rollouts are a joke with insane prices and caps that make no sense.

It doesn't really matter how fast data can be transfered when the plant is not properly maintained.Verizon won't provide many people what they are paying for now.What would make one believe they have changed their ancient telephony philosophy?

10Gbit is crazy fast but how do they expect to actually distribute that in the home? 10G ethernet NICs aren't cheap and preinstalled CAT6 is pretty much non existent. CAT5 is barely becoming standard in new home construction as it is.

Most people would be thrilled to see 100Mbit fiber - this 10G stuff is just for show, trying to make us forget they basically stopped deploying new fiber networks. My FIOS is getting sold to Frontier soon, so wtf?

The input port on most consumer routers maxes out at 1gbit, so unless you are going to buy a very expensive business level router, you are not going to have anything to connect at 10gbit.

Looked at 10Gbit switches just the other day and those are ridiculously expensive.

So.....other than Verizon giving a single customer more bandwidth than any ISP in my country has in the first place, what's the news here? That Verizon is willing to deploy switches with LR SFP+ to customers? That they're testing years old tech? In any case, good luck spreading that with WiFi. The best I've gotten out of AC is 60MBps...that's 60MBps out of a possible 1250BMps. I've never seen a laptop with a 10G NIC either. For that matter has anyone actually put a 10G NIC in their PC? If so you must have put some enterprise Flash storage in there to keep up. Wait a minute, did you just slap fancy video card into a server and called it a PC?

10Gbit is crazy fast but how do they expect to actually distribute that in the home? 10G ethernet NICs aren't cheap and preinstalled CAT6 is pretty much non existent. CAT5 is barely becoming standard in new home construction as it is.

Most people would be thrilled to see 100Mbit fiber - this 10G stuff is just for show, trying to make us forget they basically stopped deploying new fiber networks. My FIOS is getting sold to Frontier soon, so wtf?

In 7-10 years when this hits the mass consumer market, I'd expect home networks of 10G stuff pretty easy to find and much lower cost. You'll be wanting the 40-80Gb stuff, though! :) Always something bigger and better coming down the pike.

i'm sure this will be for the business/private/govT sector first, so the NSA can get your data even faster

Hi All

I'm on Fios & get 75Mb up 75Mb down & that seems fast to me. Can't imagine what 10 Gb is like.

Did Verizon casually forget that simply obtaining 1GB service is hard enough as it is?

Useless publicity stunts just to taunt the masses who are stuck with slow connections sounds like Verizon to me.

In 7-10 years when this hits the mass consumer market, I'd expect home networks of 10G stuff pretty easy to find and much lower cost. You'll be wanting the 40-80Gb stuff, though! :) Always something bigger and better coming down the pike.

It's gonna be needed as 4K channels become the norm and they go to 8K, etc.

Plus taxes plus $15 per line plus Pizza on Fridays plus 1B/year bonus for loud mouth CEO plus "Fee's"

This is Verizon, ya know.

Verizon > Comcast copper wire cant move data faster than light... so be thankful u not stuck with comcast

I think you're thinking about this wrong, 10Gbps will be more like backbones to move the data, then split off to individuals. Being able to push 10Gbps through a strand means you would need 10 less strands than before when they could only push 1Gbps.

I think you're thinking about this wrong, 10Gbps will be more like backbones to move the data, then split off to individuals. Being able to push 10Gbps through a strand means you would need 10 less strands than before when they could only push 1Gbps.

you've been able to buy a 10gb wdm sfp+ transceiver right off the shelf for quite awhile now and go 40+km with them (over a single fiber).

they are indeed talking about their FTTH service here, and it is currently completely pointless to 99.9% of their cherry picked FTTH footprint. especially when you consider they bitch and moan if you run services that actually use data on a residential connection, and any business with the need for such a connection will already have it.

Looked at 10Gbit switches just the other day and those are ridiculously expensive.

But they are at least finally under $1000.

That's some serious progress left to go, but I could see 10Gbe being affordable in 5-10 years! That should be just about the time they actually roll-out this technology to the general public.

And yet, when deployed in the real world, 5 homes will actually get this...they will promise expansion for years, but never deliver.

Hey, Verizon...howbout you work on getting your EXISTING FIOS service to more homes first, THEN worry about faster speeds!

Good. Let them do it. Then maybe others will start following suit.

I've got 1Gbps service from a local TelCo myself.

75 roundtrip on FIOS as well though I hear that is going to 100 pretty soon

This announcement seems so funny since they are selling off FIOS regional units and seemingly leaving the FTTH business. But could be for backbone purposes or stringing lines to towers.

I've seen properties of ours that do 1gb for 40-60 bucks over bulk 100/100 pricing.

For that matter has anyone actually put a 10G NIC in their PC?
My desktop has a pair of 10 gig fiber lines coming out of it. At one point, I had a 40 gig card in there, too, but I took it out and put it in another of my servers recently. There was no advantage to it over the 10 gig card and I'd rather have the lower latency of Infiniband on another node in the cluster instead. Right now, that workstation has a single consumer SSD in it. Previously, it had a couple of consumer SSDs in it. No fancy enterprise hardware needed.

This is the [H], damnit. We do it because we can.

Back