Police Search Uber Offices In Hong Kong And Arrest 5 Drivers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Didn't the cops raid Uber offices in China just a few months ago or was that a different country?

Police raided the Hong Kong offices of taxi-hailing service Uber Inc on Tuesday and arrested five drivers for the "illegal use of vehicles for hire", police said. A Hong Kong police senior inspector, Bruce Hung, said undercover police officers had used a mobile phone app to hail five cars, and after being driven to their destinations, arrested the drivers.

Different legal jurisdiction, Steve.
British legal court is retained in HK for one.

I'm sorry to ask but does hardocp or Steve have something for or against Uber. I've lurked for a while but go on month hiatus and can't help but notice a lot of Uber specific headlines.

I'm sorry to ask but does hardocp or Steve have something for or against Uber. I've lurked for a while but go on month hiatus and can't help but notice a lot of Uber specific headlines.

To be honest, I wouldn't believe Steve actually had anything against UBER personally, its just that the deck is stacked against them, and they always always seem to come out with a short hand, with all of them issues of being in the news for the wrong reasons.

They just do not have good business practices, or they are badly organized....or.......the list can go on and on.

after being driven to their destinations, arrested the drivers.

Considering this was the extent of their lawbreaking, driving someone from point A to B; what a load of horseshit.

If I take the media's word for it, and the Internet, then Uber is literally Hitler™, and the devil, at the same time.

Uber must be stopped. (Actual headline) Really? Are they planning on an Uber Reich or something?

If I take the media's word for it, and the Internet, then Uber is literally Hitler™, and the devil, at the same time.

Uber must be stopped. (Actual headline) Really? Are they planning on an Uber Reich or something?

Agreed. WTF? Do the cab companies have some kind of uber (heh!) super dark money PAC that is spreading all of this? The only major interest (only interest PERIOD, frankly) I can think of that would be opposed to Uber is cab companies. Are they their own evil empire that we don't know about?

I honestly ask this in all seriousness. Why all the hate/controversy/FUD about Uber? It does not make sense and that usually means something we cannot see/do not know about is going on.

:confused:

Agreed. WTF? Do the cab companies have some kind of uber (heh!) super dark money PAC that is spreading all of this? The only major interest (only interest PERIOD, frankly) I can think of that would be opposed to Uber is cab companies. Are they their own evil empire that we don't know about?

I honestly ask this in all seriousness. Why all the hate/controversy/FUD about Uber? It does not make sense and that usually means something we cannot see/do not know about is going on.

:confused:

The seed of doubt has been planted. It's just political for some people. You'll see people on here attack Uber and their only arguments are buzzwords like "regulation" and "safety", the same parroted nonsense you see initially driven by the cab companies. They've done a good job poisoning the well to the extent that there's a fragment of society that sides with them instead of uber for no other reason than they just enjoy ragging on something.

Didn't the cops raid Uber offices in China just a few months ago or was that a different country?

Police raided the Hong Kong offices of taxi-hailing service Uber Inc on Tuesday and arrested five drivers for the "illegal use of vehicles for hire", police said. A Hong Kong police senior inspector, Bruce Hung, said undercover police officers had used a mobile phone app to hail five cars, and after being driven to their destinations, arrested the drivers.

Back