It’s Time To Build The Private Web

HardOCP News

[H] News
Time to build a private web? Why don't we just take back the one we already have? ;)

Today, society needs to breathe new life into Washington’s idea of censorship-free communications by providing these basic rights to all 3 billion people already connected to the Web, and to those who will be coming online in the next decade. We need to collectively balance our global Web to ensure the Internet remains a platform for free speech and uncensored information, where privacy and real human connection enable strong social discourse and economic prosperity. I call that space the Private Web.

just start a new DNS service, gain widespread adoption, force encryption on everything, bam, parallel internet

I wish I could have a private Internet to just my friends and family. Unfortunately, I have to use Comcast's pipes. Switching to the digital communications from analog has cost us alot in terms of freedom and privacy.

No one REALLY wants a private internet. So much of what we do, and so much of what's so exciting about new technology, would be impossible without it. No Google Now, Siri or Cortana; no connected devices; few useful cell apps and limited social networking.

It sounds nice, but no one REALLY wants it.

Ironic, of course, that the people pushing for
a platform for free speech and uncensored information, where privacy and real human connection enable strong social discourse
are also the ones railing against Reddit (whom I do not frequent at all) retaining racist forums.

This sounds a lot like AOL & Compuserve's old business.
I can see Apple loving this. They like the 'walled garden' business model.

No one REALLY wants a private internet. So much of what we do, and so much of what's so exciting about new technology, would be impossible without it. No Google Now, Siri or Cortana; no connected devices; few useful cell apps and limited social networking.

are also the ones railing against Reddit (whom I do not frequent at all) retaining racist forums.

No, the people that don't understand how things work on the back-end are the ones that "want" Google, Siri and Cortana datamining their entire lives. If people understood just how much every action they took online was watched, scrutinized and weighed just to target advertising to them, they'd think differently.

Even then, the only reason they "want" it in the first place is because of great advertizing making it look cool and hip and easy and perfect.

The people that "get it" are the ones rallying against censorship as well as government AND corporate oversight of the internet. People like me.

Get the hell out of my data, get the hell out of my packets, get the hell out of my life. It's none of "your" goddamn business, whether "you" are the government, Google, Microsoft or a script kiddie breaking into neighborhood wi-fi hotspots. The only irony here is that my interests and usage is the very foundation of Google's business model.

No, the people that don't understand how things work on the back-end are the ones that "want" Google, Siri and Cortana datamining their entire lives. If people understood just how much every action they took online was watched, scrutinized and weighed just to target advertising to them, they'd think differently.

Even then, the only reason they "want" it in the first place is because of great advertizing making it look cool and hip and easy and perfect.

The people that "get it" are the ones rallying against censorship as well as government AND corporate oversight of the internet. People like me.

Get the hell out of my data, get the hell out of my packets, get the hell out of my life. It's none of "your" goddamn business, whether "you" are the government, Google, Microsoft or a script kiddie breaking into neighborhood wi-fi hotspots. The only irony here is that my interests and usage is the very foundation of Google's business model.

Yea, none of us average people ever realized why all the adds on websites keep showing me pictures of the video cards a looked at on NewEgg last week.

Dude, people are completely aware. They just don't care. The same was true in the 60's when young people tried to educated everyone about terrible things the government was doing. People didn't care then either. They had too much to worry about then and they got too much to worry about now.

Same same all the time.

I have a doctor's appointment in the morning.
My wife want's me to shop for my meals for the next week.
I have a condo to get sold.
My car needs a recall, oh, and it's time for it's first service.
My wife is driving my daughter to see a lawyer on Wed.
By now you should be getting the point ....
I bet your list is just as long.

I don't have any time to worry about all that other shit, I only have time to do my own shit and try to forget about it all for awhile with my favorite game, time waster, escape route :D

I wish I could have a private Internet to just my friends and family. Unfortunately, I have to use Comcast's pipes. Switching to the digital communications from analog has cost us alot in terms of freedom and privacy.

So you want to go back to the days of sharing analog phone line sharing with parents or sibilings bitching at you because nobody can call in or out while your fragging online with Quake 2 on a modem to modem connection?

Fuck that.....

DO what businesses have been doing for decades, set up VPN links between your sites. Boom private network over public pipes. We solved this issue a LONG time ago.

Yea, none of us average people ever realized why all the adds on websites keep showing me pictures of the video cards a looked at on NewEgg last week.

Dude, people are completely aware. They just don't care. The same was true in the 60's when young people tried to educated everyone about terrible things the government was doing. People didn't care then either. They had too much to worry about then and they got too much to worry about now.

Same same all the time.

I don't have any time to worry about all that other shit, I only have time to do my own shit and try to forget about it all for awhile with my favorite game, time waster, escape route :D

Great! Since it looks like no one will be home, I'll be breaking into your house on Wednesday then!

Oh and I hope those legal issues aren't too serious, I'd hate to--oops--I just posted it all over the internet and now everyone knows about it. Hope it wasn't personal!

Ah and your proctologist left you a message about your appointment tomorrow. He said to be sure not to eat anything high in fiber this time!

So even if crap like that being public knowledge doesn't bother you, it would bother the fuck out of plenty of other people that otherwise have no understanding of how easily such information can be obtained when its constantly flung across the internet. Few people are as flippant about the public availability of their personal information and itineraries as you. But then again, as best as I remember over the years, you generally like Big Brother watching you so I probably shouldn't be surprised.

So you want to go back to the days of sharing analog phone line sharing with parents or sibilings bitching at you because nobody can call in or out while your fragging online with Quake 2 on a modem to modem connection?

Fuck that.....

Some of the best experiences of my life.

Sounds like Usenet, use a vpn and encrypted Usenet connection to proclaim your freedom.

Oh please, I am fully aware of how much information Google has on me. They know where I am, when I am there and why. Sometimes they even know who I am with, whether I am drinking and the subject of the conversation.

I. Don't. Care.

In fact, quite the opposite. See, all of my communications with them are encrypted decently well. Also, because of a kind of digital; "herd immunity" where I am (A) not a valuable target and (B) One of millions of users, the chances that my particular information could fall into the hands of someone that both would WANT to do any kind of harm to me or mine and COULD are so slim that I would be more likely to be killed by lightning while being run over by a lawnmower while being attacked by a swarm of africanized killer bees.

I'm ok with that level of risk for the substantial benefits.

I can't get over this notion that government has a say in crypto design.

I'll just use different crypto. And I won't bother asking for permission.

Or maybe they would say wow what a breath of fresh air to have ads I might actually care about rather than totally random garbage.

The OP article author is also a tyrant in his own right.

No one tells me what I should and should not care about.

Same same all the time.

No. See i structured my life so that i can be a good family member, an active citizen and a good worker. All of these things are important. I cannot trade any one for the other. People are LAZY and refuse to actually learn computers and how powerful they can actually be.

Same same all the time.

I happen to know quite a few people who fit the description you gave.
Somewhat amusingly, these same people claim I am part of the problem by refusing to vote.

real human connection enable strong social discourse[/I]

This is the part where they want to take away you anonymity so if you slip up and have a bad thought, they can harass you, your employer, and your family.

If you hardware encryption into the protocol, what do you do once its hacked? Roll out a new protocol?

Or maybe they would say wow what a breath of fresh air to have ads I might actually care about rather than totally random garbage.

I will never, ever, click on any form off advertisement (or watch an ad on TV, or listen to one on the radio). So whether or not an advertisement is tailored to my interests is quite irrelevant. I would rather it be random garbage if it means more privacy. Maybe I'm in the minority on this...

Private web? That's the stupidest, most impossible, silly-headed vision ever. If anyone can connect to and participate in it, its not private. Without commerce driving a substantial portion of the revenue that keeps it afloat, it'll like never take off anyhow and won't keep up with anyone that wants to break into it to see what's going on. I dunno why people have their heads so far up in the clouds to be all like, "OMG yeah, let's put on our best sneakers and make our own super secure network of cross-country floppy disk relay stations!"

I. Don't. Care.

I'm ok with that level of risk for the substantial benefits.

That's where I'm at right now. I don't have anything that's going to grab the attention of anyone, I don't do anything illegal, etc.. If people want to know where I am or what I'm doing and want to put those resources and money into it - go for it. Home, work, shopping... Fun times.

However, I don't like the intrusion from others into that information. So, I'd like it protected. Just because I am not doing anything wrong or whatever doesn't mean that I don't like privacy. I give it up for the benefits. Just make it a two way contract between me and Microsoft (or Google); no other access.

What's scary is that anyone can look at those services and figure out where you are, where you've been, and predict where you will be based on those patterns. They can know who you are with (by using other people's information and who is most in proximity to you). The level of detail they can gather from your life is pretty scary. Right now, I'm fine with it for ME. I just don't want it to be shared with other people, companies or governments.

What's scary is that anyone can look at those services

But can they? Not really. No one can look at those services unless they have a subpoena or have hacked your account. The second is your fault, and the first is also likely your fault. :p

But can they? Not really. No one can look at those services unless they have a subpoena or have hacked your account. The second is your fault, and the first is also likely your fault. :p

For now... I'm not worried. Yet. If it's hacked (overall) or someone gets legal access, then it becomes an issue.

For now... I'm not worried. Yet. If it's hacked (overall) or someone gets legal access, then it becomes an issue.

Fair. As I mentioned above, it's a cost/benefit consideration. Right now, the risks to me, even if someone got access (which would only be temporary) is really minimal, particularly compared to the benefits.

That said, the likelihood that someone hacks Google servers to the level of being able to see my email or calendar is slim to none. And the government isn't going to be able to do anything to me with my google info.

Fair. As I mentioned above, it's a cost/benefit consideration. Right now, the risks to me, even if someone got access (which would only be temporary) is really minimal, particularly compared to the benefits.

That said, the likelihood that someone hacks Google servers to the level of being able to see my email or calendar is slim to none. And the government isn't going to be able to do anything to me with my google info.

I recently watched Enemy of the State, so I have a little concern. Generally, I don't care. I'm getting a lot of benefits by having them use that information to help me. I'm good with sharing my life for that. It's all automated, and I'm 99.9999% sure that a single human hasn't looked at my information to learn anything about it.

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't want any of the things you just mentioned.

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't want any of the things you just mentioned.

Siri/cortana/Google now, social networking, connected devices and smartphone apps? What is this, 1999? :D

Great! Since it looks like no one will be home, I'll be breaking into your house on Wednesday then!

Oh and I hope those legal issues aren't too serious, I'd hate to--oops--I just posted it all over the internet and now everyone knows about it. Hope it wasn't personal!

Ah and your proctologist left you a message about your appointment tomorrow. He said to be sure not to eat anything high in fiber this time!

So even if crap like that being public knowledge doesn't bother you, it would bother the fuck out of plenty of other people that otherwise have no understanding of how easily such information can be obtained when its constantly flung across the internet. Few people are as flippant about the public availability of their personal information and itineraries as you. But then again, as best as I remember over the years, you generally like Big Brother watching you so I probably shouldn't be surprised.

You don't seem to understand my point.

My "itinerary" isn't what I am posting, it's an example of what the average person is dealing with all the time which is why they don't have time to care about the issue. Doh ! :rolleyes:

As for Big Brother watching, no I don't like it. I also don't like it when the media lies to me about what Big Brother is doing or anything else for that matter. So hard to know what's going on when the people you trust to tell you the real deal won't because all of a suddent they have an agenda.

At least when it comes to Big Brother I have enough knowledge and experience to shift through the media's BS to some degree.

But hey, don't let me confuse you. You keep on thinking that I'm a government appologist or supporter. I wouldn't want to come between your delusions and your nose ring.

I vote for the King of England to get free reign (lol...reign...get it?) to be everyone's Big Brother for their own safety. Well the Queen anyhow. There should be British and Canadian people that are charged with the duty of providing unbiased oversight of all American citizens' communications. That fixes the problem a lot of people have with the US government doing it AND it still allows us to stay safe from crazy domestic terrorists and gun owners. Humans need oversight and deterrence through fear and corporations that are currently watching almost everything are a part of the State itself. Therefore the best way to not only enforce, but to scare people is to have a neutral third party with governmental power keeping an eye on things. They could probably manage and track bitcoin transactions too if they're still a thing these days.

You forgot to say, "Wake up Sheeple."

Back