Windows 10 Update Triggers Reboot Glitch

HardOCP News

[H] News
Have any of you experienced this update reboot glitch? Isn't this a repeat from when people were trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8?

After the update fails to install properly the first time around, Windows 10 tries to roll it back as is standard procedure. But since the update is automated and forced, Windows tries to install it again after rebooting, causing a loop of reboots for some users.

Yup, had it happen to my son's machine. Ended up just saying screw it and did a clean wipe back to Windows 8.1 for him. This was the second time he had issues (first was due to the Nvidia driver issue).

The mandatory updates and privacy issues are keeping me away from Windows 10. Seems like a giant bullshit hassle to even go this route and I really don't understand what the fuck MS was thinking by implementing this mandatory nonsense. Give people and option to opt out of this stuff.

Actually yes, I had to wipe the laptop that I had done the upgrade to Win 10 was on.

And the reason why....because there is no way to go back to safemode outside of windows. There is no longer an F8 menu.....which I can't understand why they would remove it. Stupidity.....

Yes they should still have a simple key during boot for safe. The quest to make boots instant shouldn't sacrifice something critical like that.

However, you can also just take your handy USB install media for Windows 10 and boot to it. You should be able to access all the system recovery tools from there including system restore. That is what everyone should be doing before going for the reinstall.

Yes they should still have a simple key during boot for safe. The quest to make boots instant shouldn't sacrifice something critical like that.

However, you can also just take your handy USB install media for Windows 10 and boot to it. You should be able to access all the system recovery tools from there including system restore. That is what everyone should be doing before going for the reinstall.

No one fixes their pc anymore, they just throw their hands up and say "well that didnt work!" and then are done. But very good advice, would be nice if someone provided steps on how to repair this instead of the mass droves of uninstalls.

So far, I have not had this issue nor ran into anyone who has had this issue either. Seems to me the article writers are trying to stir the pot of alarmist and not really trying to offer a solution to the problem. In fact, he linked to an article on Forbes to a person who does not even understand how Windows 10 and it's updates work.

Oh well, thank you for the heads up, I appreciate knowing just in case. :)

That's a nice idea, and one that most here probably would be able to do. However, you everyday user? Nope...they won't have that laying around, nor will they want to deal with creating one (assuming they don't just have one machine that's now toast).

Personally I did have the install media on the USB, but after already dealing with issues once due to the Nvidia driver issue and then all the privacy crap (not a fan of having my kids data pulled) that I didn't want to have to change again...just easier to say screw it and put Windows 8.1 back. He preferred it anyway, he was a bit put off by having all his tiles he'd spent time arranging disappear on him.

Actually yes, I had to wipe the laptop that I had done the upgrade to Win 10 was on.

And the reason why....because there is no way to go back to safemode outside of windows. There is no longer an F8 menu.....which I can't understand why they would remove it. Stupidity.....

While troubleshooting my Windows 10 install I found a way to turn on the F8 Menu so you can always reach Safe Mode.

How to easily enter safe mode in windows 8/10?
In an admin cmd.exe input Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
When completed press the Enter key on the keyboard. If you need to cancel the prompt to enter options at startup, simply change Yes to No.
link to Microsoft
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2809468

Of course you would have to do this before you had problems. I highly recommend all Windows users do this.

Mandatory or not Microsoft needs to get a handle on their QA process. For years updates went on without issues but now it's always a cluster when a batch of patches come out. The rolling/constant updates will probably be even worse. I've personally never had a patch break anything on my home systems and at work we don't install any updates that have published issues.

There is no longer an F8 menu.....which I can't understand why they would remove it. Stupidity.....
F8 on boot no longer works with UEFI BIOS & SSDs.
This is why you'll need the safe mode recovery drive. Been that way since Windows8.
Otherwise Shift+Restart is the only option from Windows.
However I have seen Win10 default, with some degree of reliability, to the safe mode recovery screen after Win10 fails to boot after a couple of tries.
With that said if you an get there the Win10's recovery menu options are outstanding.

Had this somewhat happen to me when I tried to upgrade my main comp it would reboot several times and eventually go back to windows 7, I got around this by downloading and upgrading via dvd

Didn't happen to me, but then again I went into services.msc and disabled the Windows Update service.

So many people bitching and moaning about forced updates and yet it can be prevented by simply turning off a service.

I thought most of the posters on this forum would be able to figure that out, guess not. They just cry instead.

Well a nasty problem with forced updates didn't take too long to surface!

They had to know this was going to have issues when you couldn't naturally block updates (easily) in Windows 10. Forcing Windows 10 updates that are security or feature additions is one thing, but stupid things like drivers for your components is just asking for trouble.

Again, people were right. Windows 10 was a Beta OS throughout this past year and was rushed to market unnecessarily fast. No doubt it'll improve now that our OS has become this cloudy Software as a Service. In fact I expect a lot more stupid updates to be added/removed without warning with this new system in place.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
The set command specified is not valid.
Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
The parameter is incorrect.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
The set command specified is not valid.
Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
The parameter is incorrect.

I used it on Windows 10 and it works. Did you cut and paste or type it in; Getting the silly spaces, spelling and exact command syntax - Always causes me problems.
You have to run it from an Administrator command prompt (not a normal command prompt).

Anyone else having problems running this?

Been that way since Windows8.

It is not the only option in Win8, open msconfig and go to boot tab, you can select boot to safe mode from there.

To enable the F8 key in Windows 8 you will first need to open an elevated command prompt.
When the elevated command prompt is open you will be at the C:\Windows\System32> prompt. To enable F8 in Windows 8 you need to type the following in the command prompt and then press the Enter key.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Once the command has been enter as shown above, press the Enter key on your keyboard. If you entered the command correctly, Windows will report that the "The operation completed successfully.". You now need to restart your computer for the change to go into effect. With this settings configured, you can now press F8 while Windows 8 starts in order to access Safe Mode and other Advanced Boot options.

If you would like to disable the F8 key and go back to the original Windows 8 setting you can open an elevated command prompt and enter the following command:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

And Linux is bad because of the need to use non-obvious command line interface commands to take care of the serious stuff.

3 machines, 2 with Nvidia cards, one 970m and one gtx 980 and not one of them had this problem. Just saying it's not impacting everyone

3 machines, 2 with Nvidia cards, one 970m and one gtx 980 and not one of them had this problem. Just saying it's not impacting everyone

Almost never is the case but even if an update for something like Windows works fine 99% of the time that is potentially millions effected. Which is why there needs to be a better way to deal with updates. I think forcing for most people is the correct approach and it shouldn't be easy to disable that but there should be a much simpler to back out of bad updates and prevent them from looping. Updated our 7 W10 devices without incident.

I think I can agree. Maybe if they let you delay an update for 30 days or even 60 days but not longer, that way you could keep something from going horribly wrong while it got fixed but not end up with a machine that was 3 years out of date.

I used it on Windows 10 and it works. Did you cut and paste or type it in; Getting the silly spaces, spelling and exact command syntax - Always causes me problems.
You have to run it from an Administrator command prompt (not a normal command prompt).

Anyone else having problems running this?

I did cut and past. Both from the source article and from the H forums.

I did elevate the command prompt.

Didn't happen to me, but then again I went into services.msc and disabled the Windows Update service.

So many people bitching and moaning about forced updates and yet it can be prevented by simply turning off a service.

I thought most of the posters on this forum would be able to figure that out, guess not. They just cry instead.

How is that a solution? People want the security updates, just not the driver updates.

Interesting:

I was using Windows Power Shell when it failed.

When I opened a plain cmd prompt it worked.

I have not run into any other commands that dont work in the shell, I do not however use DOS much these days.

Interesting:

I was using Windows Power Shell when it failed.

When I opened a plain cmd prompt it worked.

I have not run into any other commands that dont work in the shell, I do not however use DOS much these days.

Interesting indeed.
I would have thought Power Shell was a command prompt on steroids plus the figurative kitchen sink.

F8 on boot no longer works with UEFI BIOS & SSDs.
This is why you'll need the safe mode recovery drive. Been that way since Windows8.
However I have seen Win10 default, with some degree of reliability, to the safe mode recovery screen after Win10 fails to boot after a couple of tries.
With that said if you an get there the Win10's recovery menu options are outstanding.

F8 exsits trust me. You have to add it into the system. It works on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Just run CMD as Administrator and use the following command

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Once thats done you can now use F8 on UEFI or SSD's works everytime. Saved me many times with bad updates.

Do note that in Windows 10 Last known good configuration was removed from some stupid reason.

Do note that in Windows 10 Last known good configuration was removed from some stupid reason.

You can enable Last Known Good Configuration in Windows 10. I just tried it and my system did not implode.
Explained here.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-restore-the-last-known-good-configuration-feature-in-windows-8-1

Go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager

1.Create a new DWORD value at the above key called BackupCount by right clicking in the right pane and choosing New -> DWORD value (32-bit) and set its value to 1 or 2, depending on the number of backups you wish to store in the registry. I recommend a value of 2. If the BackupCount value already exists, then simply double click it and set its value to 2.
2.Now you must create a sub-key. Right click on the 'Configuration Manager' key in the left pane and select New -> Key called LastKnownGood. Then create a new DWORD value in the right pane called Enabled and set it to 1 (0 means disabled, 1 means enabled).
And you have to have this; BCDEdit /SET "{Current}" BootMenuPolicy Legacy turned on.

Back