Fisherman 1 - Drone 0

The YouTube comments are great and the very definition of that didn't go as expected as everyone rips the a**hole drone operator. With how many problems drone operators are causing it is only a matter of time until they get banned from the general public and they will only be in the hands of the government. Sad too, RC planes were ridiculously fun as kids at designated airports and they will probably get banned too along with the drones. But what are you going to do, a**holes always ruin it for the rest of us.

That drone got in way of an epic cast

Yeah it was, just too bad he wasn't using a heavier gauge line he probably could have reeled it in :D

That said, I will say the fisherman was the asshole in this case, not the drone operator. I mean this wasn't flying over a backyard or something, this was off a public beach, on a public pier, unless the guy was trying to harass the fisherman due to some Greenpeace type shenanigans he really didn't do anything too wrong. That said, if he got line caught up because he was moving into the way of the fisherman then yeah, but from what I saw, fisherman who was fishing for free was being a tad douchey.

Yeah it was, just too bad he wasn't using a heavier gauge line he probably could have reeled it in :D

That said, I will say the fisherman was the asshole in this case, not the drone operator. I mean this wasn't flying over a backyard or something, this was off a public beach, on a public pier, unless the guy was trying to harass the fisherman due to some Greenpeace type shenanigans he really didn't do anything too wrong. That said, if he got line caught up because he was moving into the way of the fisherman then yeah, but from what I saw, fisherman who was fishing for free was being a tad douchey.

Keep in mind, if this was a decent sized drone, they can be damn noisy, which can go a long way towards ruining someone else's time.

Surprised the drone could still fly after that... When I was into RC planes, everyone was respectful about where we would fly. We had designated fields in the local area and we never flew close over private property. I have no idea if this was government policy or just club rules.

Eventually a drone if going to fall out of the sky and hit someone in the head, that is when I expect these will be on the fast track to getting banned or restricted to not flying over large groups of people.

Surprised the drone could still fly after that... When I was into RC planes, everyone was respectful about where we would fly. We had designated fields in the local area and we never flew close over private property. I have no idea if this was government policy or just club rules.

Eventually a drone if going to fall out of the sky and hit someone in the head, that is when I expect these will be on the fast track to getting banned or restricted to not flying over large groups of people.

Drones are pretty good at autonomous control when it loses signal or has low battery. The drone will descend slowly rather than shut off mid-flight. A drop out of the sky would be the result of a manufacturing or software defect. Or maybe a bird slams into it and breaks a prop.

The fisherman won... at being the bigger douche!

Those things can be very loud when they're nearby. That drone operator probably was pissing a lot of the other fisherman off also when he got that close to them.

Drones are pretty good at autonomous control when it loses signal or has low battery. The drone will descend slowly rather than shut off mid-flight. A drop out of the sky would be the result of a manufacturing or software defect. Or maybe a bird slams into it and breaks a prop.

Because a drone would never have a hardware or software defect am I right?

We had designated fields in the local area and we never flew close over private property. I have no idea if this was government policy or just club rules.

First, what a badass cast!

I have seen many RC designated fields which was a great thing for those pilots. I have also been to RC airplane races in the park. People with these drones, although this one probably wasnt trying to disturb the peace, have gone nuts with what they are doing.

Fisherman was a dick for purposely trying to cast and get it.

Drone operator was a dick for flying around the pier and pissing people off.

All I see is someone purposefully trying to destroy personal property.

what a dick. You could see it in his eyes "ill bet i can get that!"

Wasn't bothering anyone, just getting a nice video of people enjoying the area, i doubt noise was an issue looking at the surf and the distance, it would be no issue. Woulda been great if he had enough pull to pull the fishermans rod out of his hands and fly off with it.

People need to stop attacking drones/multirotors as once out of control this can cause injury or start fires.

It's very fashionable nowadays to hate on drones. But it will pass. These idiots don't even know why they hate the drone, they just have to because well, the tube said so.

If someone is on public property then they're fair game to be filmed. It might be rude to put a camera in someone's face, but there is not a damn they can do about it.

Don't be like the austrians/germans, who banned google from doing streetview, and now they started thinking "hey it's not really a bad thing" but it's too late for them, they can do their own streetview now as far as google is concerned.

And I don't own a drone we only use it for work/ aerial photography. And if someone tries to pull that out from the air they can face some hefty charges for criminal damage, as some of these things cost tens of thousands.

It's very fashionable nowadays to hate on drones. But it will pass. These idiots don't even know why they hate the drone, they just have to because well, the tube said so.

If someone is on public property then they're fair game to be filmed. It might be rude to put a camera in someone's face, but there is not a damn they can do about it.

Don't be like the austrians/germans, who banned google from doing streetview, and now they started thinking "hey it's not really a bad thing" but it's too late for them, they can do their own streetview now as far as google is concerned.

And I don't own a drone we only use it for work/ aerial photography. And if someone tries to pull that out from the air they can face some hefty charges for criminal damage, as some of these things cost tens of thousands.

Well said. I am waiting for the first time someone takes out a drone for spite and the damage and collateral damage from the drone falling and possibly starting a fire causes a person to lose their house. We need that kind of example to get people to realize that destroying these for fun is not a sport.

Take it from someone who has flown a real, big boy plane. If I flew a plane that close to the pier, I'd have FAA inspectors on my ass in an instance. Just because it is a drone doesn't mean it is not dangerous; people have been scalped by those things before.

You amateurs are going to get drones to require a pilot's license (complete with Class 3 medical) because you can't exercise common decency.

Take it from someone who has flown a real, big boy plane. If I flew a plane that close to the pier, I'd have FAA inspectors on my ass in an instance. Just because it is a drone doesn't mean it is not dangerous; people have been scalped by those things before.

You amateurs are going to get drones to require a pilot's license (complete with Class 3 medical) because you can't exercise common decency.

I'm not opposed to that. *shrug*

That idiot drone operator was clearly pissing off the guys fishing. Don't want someone to break your shit, don't act like a jackass.

You think it's fashionable to hate them now? Just wait as more and more people get one of these things and they're buzzing everywhere. Mosquitoes won't even come close when it comes to the annoyance levels.

People like that was the reason I gave up drone flying in less then a month. Its not a fun hobby when everyone treats you like an asshole when your just trying to have some fun.

People like that was the reason I gave up drone flying in less then a month. Its not a fun hobby when everyone treats you like an asshole when your just trying to have some fun.

Except time after time the people having fun are doing so at others expenses. They are BOTH assh*l*s in this case. Operator is lucky it didn't crash into ocean, likely due to being a larger model overall. Drone flies that close to me and I would do same thing here.

What were you doing when people thought you were an asshole? Because people wouldn't think you were a drone asshole unless you were bothering them in some way.

I fly drones and would actually be okay with a type of licensing and training requirement. I mean if i have to register my inflatable rubber $40 boat to use in state waterways.....

I think a license would be enough to deter many people that are just flying to annoy others

What were you doing when people thought you were an asshole? Because people wouldn't think you were a drone asshole unless you were bothering them in some way.

If I can't even fly around in public spaces and park to do some filming and photo's without people getting butthurt and screamings *my privacies!!! invading it you are* I really didn't see the point personally, so I sold my Phantom 4 Pro and accessories, gave the hobby the finger and upgraded my gaming rig instead.

If I can't even fly around in public spaces and park to do some filming and photo's without people getting butthurt and screamings *my privacies!!! invading it you are* I really didn't see the point personally, so I sold my Phantom 4 Pro and accessories, gave the hobby the finger and upgraded my gaming rig instead.

So you got irrationally butthurt because other people were irrationally butthurt and you took your toy and went home to sell it. Seems legit :p

So you got irrationally butthurt because other people were irrationally butthurt and you took your toy and went home to sell it. Seems legit :p

Older I get, the less time and patience I have for peoples bullshit, legit or not. I'll go back to R/C cars when I get a bigger place.

Anyone else notice that all the drones covered in news for being 'annoying' are all phantom drones? I am starting to see how it's the people that just go out and buy something ready to fly that takes no skill are the ones doing this crap. I myself have gotten many onlookers and passerby's to stop and talk to me about mine when flying at a park. I think the idea that ones are home made gets people more interested into it.

As a native San Diegan who has fished Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach, I can say this:

1) It is not very noisey at all out there because it is a rule to remain quiet at all times and most people on the pier are silently focused on their fishing anyways. The rule:

No Disturbing Noise
Disturbing noise is NOT allowed on the beach, cliffs, walkways, park areas or adjacent parking lots.

So all those saying that drone was "silent" are full of shit as anyone on that pier could hear a fart from 50 feet and several people looked at that drone. Furthermore, this pilot could have been cited for breaking the rules on private property (Owned by Crystal Pier Hotel)

2) August is when the tourists start to leave and this was probably the first time many of these people have come back to fish since May. So having a loud drone mess with you as you fish is annoying.

Anyone else notice that all the drones covered in news for being 'annoying' are all phantom drones? I am starting to see how it's the people that just go out and buy something ready to fly that takes no skill are the ones doing this crap. I myself have gotten many onlookers and passerby's to stop and talk to me about mine when flying at a park. I think the idea that ones are home made gets people more interested into it.

Seattle is fucking on a tirade against drone owners, which made it all the harder to enjoy the hobby the first time for me, plus other dipshits were making the rest of us look like jerks. The week after I sold my PHantom, some dumbshit at the Gay celebration parade smacked his Phantom in to a building and it hit and knocked out a women. Really helps the image :rolleyes:

Seattle is fucking on a tirade against drone owners, which made it all the harder to enjoy the hobby the first time for me, plus other dipshits were making the rest of us look like jerks. The week after I sold my PHantom, some dumbshit at the Gay celebration parade smacked his Phantom in to a building and it hit and knocked out a women. Really helps the image :rolleyes:

Proof that im not bullshitting.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-knocked-drone-seattle-pride-parade-city/story?id=32112670

http://mashable.com/2015/07/01/falling-drone-knocks-woman-unconscious/

http://gizmodo.com/did-your-drone-knock-out-a-woman-on-sunday-seattle-pol-1714778551

Agreed. It is annoying how public this is. I would be willing to bet more damage is caused by kids throwing rocks over bridges at cars but that doesn't get media attention.

If you are ever in the ohio area in the summer, check out flite fest! I was there this year and it is wonderfull to see thousands of people that appreciate and enjoy the hobby either as pilots or spectators.

I fly drones and would actually be okay with a type of licensing and training requirement. I mean if i have to register my inflatable rubber $40 boat to use in state waterways.....

I think a license would be enough to deter many people that are just flying to annoy others

Believe me, you don't. It generally costs about $10,000 to get a basic private pilot's license for VFR only (including all of the required training as well as the 3rd class medical which health insurance does not cover) and considerably more if you want the ratings to do anything more instrument or complex aircraft flying.

As a native San Diegan who has fished Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach, I can say this:

1) It is not very noisey at all out there because it is a rule to remain quiet at all times and most people on the pier are silently focused on their fishing anyways. The rule:

No Disturbing Noise
Disturbing noise is NOT allowed on the beach, cliffs, walkways, park areas or adjacent parking lots.

So all those saying that drone was "silent" are full of shit as anyone on that pier could hear a fart from 50 feet and several people looked at that drone. Furthermore, this pilot could have been cited for breaking the rules on private property (Owned by Crystal Pier Hotel)

2) August is when the tourists start to leave and this was probably the first time many of these people have come back to fish since May. So having a loud drone mess with you as you fish is annoying.

While I'll agree with you on the noise aspect, I can't really comment to much because even when they don't have music the mic is always close to the drone, so who knows what that one sounded like at whatever distance it was flying. But if he was disturbing the quiet then yeah, fuck him. Up here we have a place called Muir Woods, tall redwoods and all that, and there's one particular part where they actually have a noise meter up and the idea is to be quiet and just listen to nature, if a drone came buzzing over it that would be a kick to the nuts dickhead move.

As to the private property, that's a stretch, flying over a pier would be hard to argue, and no one person or company owns any beach in California, they're all public, so he wasn't violating any rules for that.

I would have laugh my butt off if that fisherman had caught that hook in somebody's balls or his own. :D What they fisherman did was literally stupid regardless of what he thinks.

Believe me, you don't. It generally costs about $10,000 to get a basic private pilot's license for VFR only (including all of the required training as well as the 3rd class medical which health insurance does not cover) and considerably more if you want the ratings to do anything more instrument or complex aircraft flying.

I would be aiming more at something comparable to a drivers license in costs. Nothing ridiculous but just enough to kind of put a gate in the way before you go out and hurt someone or damage your investment.

Back