The First Intel Xeon Processors Coming To Notebook PCs This Fall

HardOCP News

[H] News
Content editors, designers and engineers take note - Intel is bringing the power of Intel® Xeon® processors to notebook PCs in a perfect balance between power and mobility. Designed from the ground up for mobile workstations, the Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1500M v5 product family, based on architecture code-named Skylake, brings high precision computing horsepower to a notebook and supports key features like error-correcting code memory for enhanced reliability while running critical workstation applications. The new products will be available with certified drivers for key engineering applications and support the unique hardware-assisted security, manageability and productivity capabilities of Intel® vPro™ technology. Mobile workstations featuring Intel Xeon processors as well as Thunderbolt ™ 3 technology will be available this fall. More information on the Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1500M v5 product family will be available soon. Content creators, designers and engineers get ready for more power and mobility.

Been expecting this for years and years and years and now it's finally going to become a reality, great news for those of us that use laptops more than desktops and really do make use of every last bit of processor performance.

Thats unless your Laptops processor costs the same as a MBP :p Probably would be a SOC though the way they are making Xeon based processors in Mini-ITX Formfactor...

Will it be cool yes, will they find a way to Profit on this... YUP

Been expecting this for years and years and years and now it's finally going to become a reality, great news for those of us that use laptops more than desktops and really do make use of every last bit of processor performance.

All this means is that Intel is going to start branding the top-level laptop processors Xeon, upping the price and gating them off. This is just another way to justify overcharging from CPUs, exactly what you get when they have no competition.

one of these over priced pieces of junk has a high chance of being in the Surface Pro 4 releasing around October, i'd reckon! :p

All this means is that Intel is going to start branding the top-level laptop processors Xeon, upping the price and gating them off. This is just another way to justify overcharging from CPUs, exactly what you get when they have no competition.
I'll admit, I'm going to be very disappointed if they don't include the Xeon feature set in their mobile Xeon processors... But I can't see them diluting the lineup like that. Do you have a source for your accusations?

I'll admit, I'm going to be very disappointed if they don't include the Xeon feature set in their mobile Xeon processors... But I can't see them diluting the lineup like that. Do you have a source for your accusations?
I clicked the link. Looks like they're including the Xeon features in their Xeon mobile lineup. It has nothing to do with competition, and everything to do with entering an emerging market.

Xeon processors are great. Recently got a new four processor server at work; 4x18 cores with hyperthreading = 144 virtual cores with 45M of cache per CPU and more RAM than some people's SSD sizes.

Who needs a GPU when you have enough CPU power to do realtime ray tracing?

It sounds like all they are doing is added ECC support and enabling all the virtualization features.

Sounds more like marketing to me. I don't even know why ECC hasn't been enabled on consumer CPU's anyways. Course I don't understand why Windows never came with a spreadsheet processor either.

Xeon processors are great. Recently got a new four processor server at work; 4x18 cores with hyperthreading = 144 virtual cores with 45M of cache per CPU and more RAM than some people's SSD sizes.

Who needs a GPU when you have enough CPU power to do realtime ray tracing?

You are not going to see that ANYTIME soon on a mobile platform. Power usage and form factor are way to important.

In the future possibly, but the non-mobile sector will always be way farther ahead.

Would like to see at least 8-core for portable virtualization test platform but at best it'll probably be a 4-core.

The "name" that intel assigns to any of its moblie processors seems to be a bit arbitrary. Take the i7 4510U for example. Dual core, 2.0ghz Haswell. Sounds more like an i3. Alot of the Atoms are getting Celeron labels. Xeon Smeon. Will have to take note to the specific specs and benchmarks.

hardware_failure,

i agree. i've been really disappointed with their very poor naming conventions in that regard. Its nothing but outright lying. I'm so over bullshit marketing tricks its not funny.

Back