How Windows 10 Convinced Me That Desktop Is Dead

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You know, I would actually take this guy more seriously if his tile layout wasn't completely hideous. Anyway, how could the Start menu replace the desktop when you can't even pin files to it?

Very quickly I noticed that Windows 10's full screen Start Menu had become my default home screen. The Desktop still existed somewhere under it but I had no need for it except for the odd occasion when I needed to access a file in one of the three folders I had created there or to drag an image to it from a site in a web browser that prevented the saving of its images directly.

It took him until Windows 10 to decide this? It sounds like he would have been in love with Windows 8...

The desktop isn't dead, Microsoft is dead to the desktop. Plenty of Linux distributions to choose from that have the full desktop experience.

This is just another Touch Screen user review of Windows10
Windows One means Windows10 core everywhere.
"I loved the Start Screen on Windows 8 and would often swipe through it, checking out the Live Tiles, even with my Type Cover attached to my Surface Pro, and really wanted that experience back."

I read this yesterday and just didn't get it. I never really got this notion of the desktop going away in Windows. Why would Microsoft kill the one thing they utterly dominate? And for whatever issues 10 has, its OOBE on the desktop is pretty solid in terms of window and task navigation.

The desktop isn't dead, Microsoft is dead to the desktop. Plenty of Linux distributions to choose from that have the full desktop experience.

Full desktop experience with half the apps! In just 11 days after its official release GS Statcounter is showing Windows 10 with triple the desktop share of all Linux distros combined.

The author doesn't seem to realize that a desktop isn't merely an alternative to a start menu/screen. It's a part of a workflow that utilizes both aspects of the UI.

Everything that he enabled in W10 to create a W8 look and feel...

...I disabled

I read this yesterday and just didn't get it. I never really got this notion of the desktop going away in Windows. Why would Microsoft kill the one thing they utterly dominate? And for whatever issues 10 has, its OOBE on the desktop is pretty solid in terms of window and task navigation.

Full desktop experience with half the apps! In just 11 days after its official release GS Statcounter is showing Windows 10 with triple the desktop share of all Linux distros combined.

That's the problem, most that want a desktop experience don't want "apps", or cloud, or keylogging, or ads, or pushed updates you can't turn off. If you are talking about applications, then the best you can do if fall back to Win7 (the last Microsoft desktop OS) if you still need Microsoft.

That's the problem, most that want a desktop experience don't want "apps", or cloud, or keylogging, or ads, or pushed updates you can't turn off. If you are talking about applications, then the best you can do if fall back to Win7 (the last Microsoft desktop OS) if you still need Microsoft.

Not sure where the hang up on the term "app" came from. We were calling "programs" "apps" in the 90s. But I guess "app" for some means "mobile program" thus the stigma.

As far as the things that you say people don't want on a desktop, ASAIK, keylogging isn't in Windows 10. It can capture keystrokes, ink and voice if that's turned on through Cortana and the inking functions which it is by default. People connect to cloud services all of the time through desktops so I don't think that's a particularly valid point and 10 doesn't force the use of cloud services. As for as ads and apps, again, those have been in browsers for years, Candy Crush started out as a Flash app on Facebook I believe and then went to mobile. And there are some pretty cool modern apps that are very nice on the desktop. I like having dedicated desktop/tablet apps for things like YouTube and Netflix as they have can have advantages over using them through the browser. TubeCast, a YouTube app, is just beautiful compared to the YouTube site and supports downloading without the need of extensions and removes the ads again without the need for extensions.

"A vocal group of Windows 8 users lamented the fact that the old Start Menu had been removed though I personally couldn’t even remember the last time I had used it on a Windows device. For years I had either been making shortcuts to my most used programs on the Desktop itself or simply pinned them to the Taskbar."

I have about 300 games installed, am I supposed to pick my favourites and pin them to the desktop and taskbar? Fuck that shit. No, I categorize (strat, rpg, action, etc.) my games into folders on the start menu and access them from there, which Win8 didn't allow me to do until I installed ClassicShell.

Would I want 300 games in a jumbled mess sprawled across a Start screen? Hell no!

"A vocal group of Windows 8 users lamented the fact that the old Start Menu had been removed though I personally couldn’t even remember the last time I had used it on a Windows device. For years I had either been making shortcuts to my most used programs on the Desktop itself or simply pinned them to the Taskbar."

I have about 300 games installed, am I supposed to pick my favourites and pin them to the desktop and taskbar? Fuck that shit. No, I categorize (strat, rpg, action, etc.) my games into folders on the start menu and access them from there, which Win8 didn't allow me to do until I installed ClassicShell.

Would I want 300 games in a jumbled mess sprawled across a Start screen? Hell no!

You can fin folders to the Start Menu in Windows 10 as well.

Piece of shit clickbait article.

In other news, ketchup is dead because I like mustard.

Doesn't show anything relevant if it had an upgrade button that would install Linux then the same thing would happen.

Piece of shit clickbait article.

In other news, ketchup is dead because I like mustard.

Personal preference is what it is. But with any MS OS there is hardly anything worthwhile upgrading for. Do you need a new interface to operate your computer, not really. If you see the bucket load of privacy options it is just really sad.

how is having a full screen start menu with a shitload of icons any different than a desktop?

Doesn't show anything relevant if it had an upgrade button that would install Linux then the same thing would happen.

Desktop Linux has been a freely installable option on most any PC for the better part of two decades. But in 11 days a single button triples the install base of desktop Linux. Sometimes Microsoft isn't so stupid.

how is having a full screen start menu with a shitload of icons any different than a desktop?

The Start screen can hold an infinite amount of icons that are scrollable and the desktop is limited by space. If a person likes to make shortcuts to their stuff on the desktop then the Start screen is better but I don't do that so it is not better for me.

PC desktop is dead? Hard to argue that. Now midi synth in games is fairly dead. (Or game that uses the internal PC speaker)

Desktop Linux has been a freely installable option on most any PC for the better part of two decades. But in 11 days a single button triples the install base of desktop Linux.
No.
Sometimes Microsoft isn't so stupid.
Just shameless at exploiting a consumer base that became numb to clicking any update offered because of the endless warnings over security holes.

Yes, Linux as been a freely installable option on PC for nearly two decades. I installed Linux Red Hat with relative ease on my first PCs in 1997.

Just shameless at exploiting a consumer base that became numb to clicking any update offered because of the endless warnings over security holes.

Huh? It at least attempts to be simple upgrade process like smartphones and so far in my experience has been. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's by far the easiest update process for Windows I've ever seen. And yes, that's smart.

Anything cloud based just scares the crap out of me, cloud = spare hdd on someone else’s Pc to me. This OS leaves me wondering what’s working in the background that I don’t know about and where is the complete listing of setting (not a questioner for what I would like to change/do)?

Microsoft hit a 10 out of 10 on the “Creepy” factor in my mind with its new OS!

Well, if you do not know how to organize games onto the full screen start menu, how did you ever figure out how to organize them into folders? I prefer them on my full screen start menu so I can find games I have a lot easier and see things I may have forgotten I even have. No, they are not "sprawled" at all.

No.

Yes, he is correct. I was installing Linux myself on my own PC back in 1997 and dual booting with Windows and OS/2 Warp as well.

Organization, you should try it sometime on the full screen start menu.

honestly, be it windows 7 on my desktop, or windows 10 on my laptop, I run all my shortcuts off the taskbar. If it is something I dont use often, I open start and type till it comes up. Only thing on my desktop is recycle bin, and I don't pin anything in start.

This guys obviously a retard. He talks about not needing the start menu because he liked to make shortcuts and pin his applications. Well duh, what did he use to pin them? The start menu for sure. Without it he wouldn't find the application to pin it in the first place.

Well, if you do not know how to organize games onto the full screen start menu, how did you ever figure out how to organize them into folders? I prefer them on my full screen start menu so I can find games I have a lot easier and see things I may have forgotten I even have. No, they are not "sprawled" at all.

Steam is far better in organizing the games than having them sprayed randomly between a gazillion other apps and settings in the modern UI full screen menu.

This article sounds like someone who never used a computer properly and have been staring at a smartphone in his/her spare time like a religion, getting so used to the Smartphone interface that he just wants everything like a smartphone interface.

I know how to categorize them on the Start screen but there is still a shit load of icons to weed through to find what I want.

There is also a load of icons that just say readme or manual with no way to know besides opening them or opening their parent folder to know what they are readme files or manuals for.
It is a mess and is for lightweights with touchpads.

In just 11 days after its official release GS Statcounter is showing Windows 10 with triple the desktop share of all Linux distros combined.

Predatory upgrade nags you were adamant would "never happen" + whole lot of unsuspecting end users clueless what a pile of data mining dogshit they're stepping into by clicking "upgrade", and gaining no significant new features for their trouble. Yeah there's something to crow about.

I know how to categorize them on the Start screen but there is still a shit load of icons to weed through to find what I want.

Click the Start button or just use your left thumb to tap that Windows key you more than likely have on your keyboard and type the first 3 letters of whatever it is you're looking for.

This was really started with Vista, perfected with Windows 7, then fudged and kludged with 8/8.1 and now Windows 10 basically throwing a huge wrench into things by allowing for federated Internet searching as well which at least (thankfully) the Internet search aspect can be disabled so all searches are local.

There really is no faster way to find things, and Windows 7 still did it best of all. Hell, when I use Windows 8/8.1/10 and do this procedure I swear I get everything EXCEPT WHAT I'M ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR whereas on 7 it's right there as expected.

Change for the sake of change... it's a horrible thing.

I already explained earlier that I can not remember the names of everything I have installed. I have about 300 games installed and can't be expected to remember everything I have installed. My comment you quoted is about Start menu vs Start screen in 8.1. I was pointing out why the Start menu is better than Metro Start screen.

I already explained earlier that I can not remember the names of everything I have installed. I have about 300 games installed and can't be expected to remember everything I have installed. My comment you quoted is about Start menu vs Start screen in 8.1. I was pointing out why the Start menu is better than Metro Start screen.

You ever stop to think that's a bit... uhmmm... excessive, perhaps, when you can't even remember what you've got installed?

Serious question.

You ever stop to think that's a bit... uhmmm... excessive, perhaps, when you can't even remember what you've got installed?

Serious question.

It happens. You see people on TV shows about excessive behavior. You see the guy with a house full of thousands of empty milk bottles and when asked why, he looks puzzled and can't understand why you WOULDN'T want a house full of milk bottles and your family on the verge of leaving you.

Other people's reality is often different.

Yes, it is excessive but I like having all my games ready to go if I ever feel like playing them. I just counted that I have 52 old Dos games installed that I might never play again for years. I guess I like having lots to choose from.

Actually, I have more than 52 Dos games installed because I am only counting the games I launch via Defend, I also have some Steam Dos games like Doom, Quake and Unreal, plus I have a bunch of Dos games I bought from GoG too. Lots of gamers are hoarders and I am nothing unusual.

There is also a load of icons that just say readme or manual with no way to know besides opening them or opening their parent folder to know what they are readme files or manuals for.
It is a mess and is for lightweights with touchpads.

Nope, not a mess, not really sure what you are talking about? My full screen start menu is highly organized. Enjoy.

Desktop? I haven't seen mine since the last reboot. 100 chrome tabs is my desktop, I launch stuff I need to from the taskbar or start menu.

Back