Torrent Site Proxies Rife With Malware Injecting Scripts

HardOCP News

[H] News
More than 99% of torrent site proxies are full of malware and suspicious ads? This is my surprised face :rolleyes:.

New research shows that torrent site proxies, which are often used to access blocked sites, are rife with malware and suspicious ads. From a sample of more than 6,000 sites more than 99% were found to insert their own code. According to researcher Gabor Szathmari some of these sites pose a great security risk.

My problem with the article is that it seems poised to generate fear of using proxies, warns you to avoid the bad ones but provides no useful information to help out, or useful information at all. Also I feel like this is a loaded topic as conversations relating to this could easily fall against the forum rules. :p

Oh After browsing the researchers website, I found his blog that actually contains his methods and provides a more indepth look into this.

https://blog.gaborszathmari.me/2015/08/05/malware-injecting-torrent-mirrors/

I gave up torrenting awhile ago.I got sick of trying to find useful content and coming up short. Id rather pay for legit licences and copies.

I gave up torrenting awhile ago.I got sick of trying to find useful content and coming up short. Id rather pay for legit licences and copies.

yep, people value their time too little. like that friend of mine who spent two hours trying to get a crack working for some software that cost 50 euros. they have a household income of 200k... like, what the fuck... i asked him why he wastes 2 hours on 50 bucks, but he didn't get what i meant.

yep, people value their time too little. like that friend of mine who spent two hours trying to get a crack working for some software that cost 50 euros. they have a household income of 200k... like, what the fuck... i asked him why he wastes 2 hours on 50 bucks, but he didn't get what i meant.

I used to torrent my dvds/blurays (i know big gray area as is) because it was faster than configuring the software to rip the discs. Now it just is so easy to find most on some form of streaming service.

It kinda is becoming what we all argued long ago, if it is easier to buy or stream then pirating will end up killing itself.

Like you said, Ive seen those games where you have to disconnect internet, firewall a program, install, apply crack, edit your registry, download the cracked update, run patching batch program, and now you are stuck at that patch level and cant get more updates until next cracked patch... Way too much work guys, just let those go lol.

My problem with the article is that it seems poised to generate fear of using proxies, warns you to avoid the bad ones but provides no useful information to help out, or useful information at all.

Yeah, the article left it hanging as to what % actually added harmful javascript vs advertising / tracking.

The MSI Z170 ad is covering up the link on the other page so I can't get to the article.

I use my own privoxy proxy with forced interception at the router. Works great and only allows in the content I want on my network.

Back