Ads are starting to get out of hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick_m0nkey

Staff member
Hey guys,

I'm all about ads here, but they are starting to get pretty out of control. Of particular problems for me is this MSI ad that pops up (seemingly randomly as of yesterday. Happened twice yesterday, twice in the last 30 minutes. A couple of refreshes and it will go away) and physically obscures the forums link.

http://imgur.com/cwlUske

I always make it a point to go to the main page first to support the site, and then to the forums, but this is getting out of hand.

Relevant information:

Windows 10 Professional
Chrome Version 44.0.2403.130 m
1440p resolution

As a follow up...I think actually it's the banner ad on the top of the screen. When its the correct size, it works fine. It's just the MSI one whenever it shows up that's the incorrect dimensions and then physically obscures the relevant part of the site.

I can confirm this issue is occurring too. It is specifically an MSI Z170 Motherboard Ad saying "CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY".

The Ad appears directly below the HardOCP logo at the top. It is large enough to cover up several of the sorting links as well as the title boxes for the Skylake Review and part of the MSI 960 4G Review.

The issue occurs on IE10, FF39 (latest), and Chrome 44.0.2403.130m (latest). This is on a Win7 machine and I don't have IE11 available to test. I first noticed it a couple days ago.

Confirmed to occur in IE Version 11.0.9600.1794, update version 11.0.21 and latest version of Chrome 64 bit.

HardOCP_Large_Ad_001.jpg

I've noticed it's only on the actual HardOCP page that it's really bad, hardforum just has the one ad at the top.

Here it is on Safari.
QQWMZUq.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I came here to say the same thing. I just turned adblock on for the site and will see about turning it off next week. The MSI ad obviously blocks material but the quantity of ads seems to have jumped tenfold. For the record, I use Windows 7 and see the issue in both Chrome and Firefox.

Another issue I have had for a while is the Hoverhound popup. I can see receiving it once per PC/browser but that thing pops up for me on a regular basis. My reaction is just to quit browsing the forums and leave the site. It pops up in both Chrome and Firefox and I don't delete cookies or clear the cache often enough for those to be issues.

I see more ads than content on all these screenshots but the ads are just starting to get out of control, got it.

(Not mentioning the one that pops up and fills the entire screen when not installing some plug-in I don't want installed...)

$

I see more ads than content on all these screenshots but the ads are just starting to get out of control, got it.

(Not mentioning the one that pops up and fills the entire screen when not installing some plug-in I don't want installed...)

$

I don't mind the ads and the site making money.

I just don't want the ads getting in the way of site functionality.

Yeah it's bad. Saw this today and was gonna make a thread about it. Glad I looked here first. Please fix. I like [H] for its respectable advertising that does not interfere with what Id like to read.

The only one that would be able to affect changes to the advertisements would be Kyle. That is the reason no one else from the [H] has responded. I'm sure that at some point, Kyle will respond.

I sent a PM to Kyle. Guessing he will take a look at it when he is back online.

LOL I was just coming here to Post about this problem, its beginning to piss me off. Ill pay a couple bucks to make it go away each month if that would help.

I have run into it only intermittently in certain browsers and builds, so I would venture to say it is a bug rather than normal behavior for the site advertising.

I have run into it only intermittently in certain browsers and builds, so I would venture to say it is a bug rather than normal behavior for the site advertising.

I get it quite frequently with my 4790K setup with Firefox when I read a news link. I have to turn off the page style if the graphic is over top of the link to the news story.

It appears that someone set up the rotating banner position with the wrong size ad (336x280) in it, that ad position is setup for a ad that is a 730x90 position, nothing i can do for you guys on this one as i dont run that site or server, have to ping Cliff most likely on this one or get Kyle...

FYI, its not a popup ad.

That square shaped Ad is supposed to be under the news snippet. I think they may have fixed it as I just read a news post and it was positioned under the snippet.

EDIT: never mind, issue still pops up, it looks like it was also inserted into the banner graphics directory.

Looks like they have the correct banner one, it's just that the square one was also placed in the same pool,
hard-ad.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back