Netflix Offering Unlimited Maternity And Paternity Leave

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tech companies take note, Netflix has upped the bar for paid maternity and paternity leave for employees.

With this in mind, today we’re introducing an unlimited leave policy for new moms and dads that allows them to take off as much time as they want during the first year after a child’s birth or adoption. We want employees to have the flexibility and confidence to balance the needs of their growing families without worrying about work or finances. Parents can return part-time, full-time, or return and then go back out as needed. We’ll just keep paying them normally, eliminating the headache of switching to state or disability pay.

Sounds great, right? Problem is corporate culture at Netflix is notoriously bad. Sure, employees there have unlimited vacation, maternity/paternity leave, but there's a catch: those who take it are looked down on as not being team-players. Performance reviews reflect how much time one is in the office.

This is nothing more than a headline grab. Make no mistake, the actual numbers of people taking maternity/paternity leave will be less than the national average.

I'd be pissed about a fellow employee that got to take a paid year off. Someone has to pick up the slack if the position is more than standard temp work. The person coming back has to be brought up to speed on a years worth of growth and change. It's a bit crazy. How do you balance that benefit for people who choose not to have children or can't. All this would definitely piss me off but not enough to have kids though lol.

this is going to be abused big time. i dont think this going to work. its like that one ceo that raised peopls wages to 70k a year. people got mad and two or three left the company. it wont be fair to other employees that stay there and work...

And here I was thinking it was bs that my company pays 60% wages for people to post on facebook that the are at the beech while on short term disability. I could only imagine how abused it would be at my job.

Welcome to Canada. Here, 1 year mat/pat leave for birth or adoption( with unemployment benefits) is federal law and has been for years. It works just fine, eh?

i was told that companies only care about short term profits and exploiting their workers.

It works fine in a country that exploits is natural resources to pay for its government.

Imagine that, a Canadian posting to try and sound superior. That NEVER happens...

It does sound awesome... I mean, it'll then become a employee's turn to show dissatisfaction with their co workers, and that might cause an effect that'll eventually lead them to be the odd man out, which may lead them to quit on their own, or get fired because they don't fit in with the crowd or get .

That said, t can go the other way, and abused like mad.

Gah.... was interrupted and posted prematurely... fired was what I was going to say I think.

It would be nice to get paid for a year while you are out looking for a better job.

This will be exploited and coworkers will get shafted.

Uh yeah, what the hell happens if you get pregnant 3 months after having your kid? Just...keep taking time off paid? I mean, Netflix can afford it, but can the other employees. Agree with the poster above about the 70k wage, makes no sense, sure the people who didn't take the time/energy/motivation to make themselves better in life will love it. Scrubbing the floors? 70k! Managing 100 people? 70k! Which one are you going to take.

Stifles innovation and motivation to make where you work a better place. Unless you are a brain dead liberal, then it's all rainbows and peanuts. This minimum wage push is one of the worst policies I've seen, no raise on merit or performance. W T H

This sounds great, but it will backfire.
Worked for years. And it's common in almost all of the rest of the world. It's only the U.S. which is behind the times. Welcome to the 21st century.

ROTFL! We are your largest supplier of oil. We own you.

As a fellow Canadian, please stop. We don't own anyone, and the U.S. Produces so much oil now they could end up being a net exporter.

As far as maternity leave in Canada goes, it's aimed at the working class. Parents receive 50 weeks, the first 15 are reserved for the mother, and the remaining 35 are used at the parents discretion (mum or dad can use them, but not simultaneously). Payment is made through the employment insurance program; which caps out at 55% of your gross pay or $524 a week, whichever is less. If you are making 45,000 a year that's not bad. If you were making 95,000 a year, that's not that great. Furthermore you have to have previously paid into EI to qualify to collect EI, no exceptions for new moms. So self employed people typically don't qualify. Don't get me wrong, it's a great program, but it's not some magical year of free wages for everyone courtesy of the Canadian Government.

That is awesome. The six weeks my wife got was bullshit short. Then unpaid FMLA we had to split because we worked at the same place which was also bullshit.

That is awesome. The six weeks my wife got was bullshit short. Then unpaid FMLA we had to split because we worked at the same place which was also bullshit.

Yeah I asked at my old workplace if we had paternity leave benefits. She acted confused then said, "yeah sure we have FMLA"... Not really what I meant.

This is great. Good job Netflix.

A month and a half of free money is bullshit? I agree there should be paid leave for having a kid, but 6 weeks is pushing it.

this is going to be abused big time. i dont think this going to work. its like that one ceo that raised peopls wages to 70k a year. people got mad and two or three left the company. it wont be fair to other employees that stay there and work...

Links please?

A month and a half of free money is bullshit? I agree there should be paid leave for having a kid, but 6 weeks is pushing it.

I am going to infer you have no children. 6 weeks is dam short for the woman vaginal or cesarean. When you find a lady to have one ask her how she feels after 6 weeks and tell her to suck it up and go back to work lol.

It does sound awesome... I mean, it'll then become a employee's turn to show dissatisfaction with their co workers <snip>
This is the problem. Everybody hates everybody else, jealous of every tiny little g0d dam thing. Having kids should be a good thing. Now it's not, because people will hate you because of it. Bad enough there's a friggin marriage tax that you basically have to have kids to offset that. Yes, a marriage tax; two people filing single for somewhat equal wages pay less than married ones do. If you have no kids, check it out with your last years tax program, try it out and piss off your SO by telling them how much extra you paid just for her to be able to tell her friends that she's married. Ahhhhh, screw it. I still don't want kids. I'd rather go to work than be stuck home changing diapers and waking up every two hours to bottle feed a puking infant.

I am going to infer you have no children. 6 weeks is dam short for the woman vaginal or cesarean. When you find a lady to have one ask her how she feels after 6 weeks and tell her to suck it up and go back to work lol.

I have a little one and I too think it's ridiculous and unreasonable to expect your employer to give you free money for a voluntary decision to have children. Maybe plan better and save up so the wife can stay home and heal?

Our employer didn't pay anything - it was short term disability that paid for 5 of the 6 weeks. The remaining week was a vacation week that had to be used. If we had no carried Short term disability coverage it would have been totally unpaid except for any vacation time we chose to apply.

Check out the entire rest of the world - they get massive amounts of time off for children. Considering it is the single biggest event in most peoples lives and the most important to society it should get special treatment.

I'd be pissed about a fellow employee that got to take a paid year off. Someone has to pick up the slack if the position is more than standard temp work. The person coming back has to be brought up to speed on a years worth of growth and change. It's a bit crazy. How do you balance that benefit for people who choose not to have children or can't. All this would definitely piss me off but not enough to have kids though lol.
Performance reviews, taking a year off is a great way to stunt your growth in the company. That being said dealing with the churn and the cost of hiring skilled positions in the tech industry has made this a reality.
i was told that companies only care about short term profits and exploiting their workers.
They do but for skilled positions in IT the cost of a job search is quite a pain to deal with, first you need someone basically already qualified for the position to review candidates then you spend months if you're lucky trying to get the right person to fill that position. Basically wasting their already expensive time. That being said a year is really long.

Back