Large Malvertising Campaign Takes on Yahoo!

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's nice to hear that Yahoo took immediate action to rectify the situation as soon as the company was notified.

As soon as we detected the malicious activity, we notified Yahoo! and we are pleased to report that they took immediate action to stop the issue. The campaign is no longer active at the time of publishing this blog.

This is why I no longer have Flash installed on any of my computers.

I have never seen more incompetent programming than what comes out of Adobe. Probably a bunch of cheap third-world H1Bs.

IMHO online advertising providers should be legally mandated to do a review of every ad, and ever link these ads point to. I don't understand why this doesn't happen.

For every time an ad is placed with Google, Yahoo or the like, it should go in a hold queue, and not be displayed until someone with brains inside yahoo/google personally reviews everything about it and clears it.

This is why I no longer have Flash installed on any of my computers.

I agree with you, but not as much in the extreme. It's still good to have around on occasion, but luckily HTML5 is supplanting it more and more.

Apparently in order to reduce the amount of problems with Flash, Microsoft has licensed the codebase and included it with Windows10. I guess they think they can manage the security of it better than Adobe.

Would ave been better if it were just killed off once and for all, forcing people web designers to move on.

Personally I just use Flashblock/noscript, but my take in general is, if a website requires a browser plugin, ANY browser plugin, to be viewed properly and in its entirety, then it is an example of poor web design.

I wrote yahoos security director severl times to pull fake yahoo ads of chrome, firefox and other urls thay have fake apps to deploy malware. Check out cnet yahoo ads if you want free yahoo malware.

Ban TOS that eliminates web site's liability for distributing malware. If Yahoo was liable for paying the cleanup costs and lost time costs for hundreds of thousands or millions of computers and users, they would do a much better job of vetting ads and ad serving sub contractors.

Zarathustra[H];1041776997 said:
...luckily HTML5 is supplanting it more and more.

It's only a matter of time before HTML5 is as broken and malware-infested as Flash. You should totally start securing your universe now by switching to Lynx as your one and only web browser solution as its faaaarrr to stupid to fall prey to such sadistic trickery as images or videos.

Ban TOS that eliminates web site's liability for distributing malware. If Yahoo was liable for paying the cleanup costs and lost time costs for hundreds of thousands or millions of computers and users, they would do a much better job of vetting ads and ad serving sub contractors.

I like this idea...

It's only a matter of time before HTML5 is as broken and malware-infested as Flash. You should totally start securing your universe now by switching to Lynx as your one and only web browser solution as its faaaarrr to stupid to fall prey to such sadistic trickery as images or videos.

HTML5 isn't a proprietary technology that relies on a commercial entity to keep it up to date. It's not even really just one technology. As such it's not really prone to the same sort of problems.

Back