Apple Denies Report It's Getting Into Wireless Business

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple is publicly denying a report that claimed the company was getting into the wireless business.

The publication said Apple's wireless service would allow customers to pay the company directly for data, calls and texts, while automatically switching between carriers to give users the best service. Business Insider said it would be at least five years before Apple's service would launch. But Apple on Tuesday said it hasn't explored a wireless service.

I would expect Google to make that jump before Apple ... actually I am surprised they (Google) didn't just buy TMobile or Sprint when they were available ... I am not sure how Apple could even negotiate with the carriers to provide aggregate services ... if Apple wanted to jump off the deep end they could try and change iTunes to be a streaming subscription service and go head to head with Amazon and Netflix and Hulu ... that could be a much more interesting competition

I say go for it. We're paying 5 times what we should for cell/data access, and until the market has lots and lots of participators it's not going to change.

I'm tired of getting ripped off by current cell prices. Including the hardware.

I remember Steve Jobs wanting to create a mobile network between phones directly so definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Apple isn't generally very open to telling everything so this statement is meaningless.

They technically already have. Project Fi.
Is there anyone actually using the service? I requested an invite the first morning and already own a Nexus 6 but haven't heard anything except "We now have a website where you can find out your invite status!"

Now, I'm probably not going to join up because I like having two numbers and the service would limit me to only my Google Voice number but it still seems like a very long time to wait to be invited to pay for a service that operates through existing mobile networks...

Is there anyone actually using the service? I requested an invite the first morning and already own a Nexus 6 but haven't heard anything except "We now have a website where you can find out your invite status!"

Now, I'm probably not going to join up because I like having two numbers and the service would limit me to only my Google Voice number but it still seems like a very long time to wait to be invited to pay for a service that operates through existing mobile networks...

I got my invite. Had to pass since I already signed up with someone else. And yes, I know a lot of my friends are using it. They seem pretty happy with it.

I got my invite. Had to pass since I already signed up with someone else. And yes, I know a lot of my friends are using it. They seem pretty happy with it.
If they would allow me to port my T-Mobile (former landline) number and continue to also use Google Voice as I have been for years, I'd be on board. As it is, their current policy regarding Google Voice on Project Fi ruins my preferred usage, leaving me with a single number.

If they would allow me to port my T-Mobile (former landline) number and continue to also use Google Voice as I have been for years, I'd be on board. As it is, their current policy regarding Google Voice on Project Fi ruins my preferred usage, leaving me with a single number.

Its not that hard, simply port your current google voice number to a new google voice account, then get a new toss-able number for the one account with the invite.
You can then port your T-mobile number in seconds (assuming you have all needed info)
I had the same issue you did.

I just dont see how either google or apple can get their own airwaves going unless they either A. buy out a cell phone company which is at least a $60+ billion investment, or B. Rent existing towers which wouldn't make the experience all that great and would still cost an arm and a leg to Apple.

There is simply too no competition in America when it comes to airwaves. Companies fight like a pack of vultures over any tiny auction of spectrum. Besides, its too much work running a cell service company, why would apply waste their energy on that when they already have an established relationship with all 4 major carriers...

Its not that hard, simply port your current google voice number to a new google voice account, then get a new toss-able number for the one account with the invite.
You can then port your T-mobile number in seconds (assuming you have all needed info)
I had the same issue you did.
I see what you're saying. That's not bad. I'll think about it during the [supposed] 1-2 weeks before my invite is supposed to arrive. :)

Back