AMD: Project Quantum Is 'Not Far' From Being Market-Ready

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD's Richard Huddy, during a recent interview with PCR, fielded a bunch of questions about the Project Quantum gaming PC.

AMD could launch its Project Quantum gaming PC to market if it has the right conversations with OEMs, the firm has told PCR. The unit is designed to show off the performance of AMD's new Fiji HBM GPUs. Full specs haven't been confirmed, but it's said to feature two R9 Fiji GPUs plus an Intel i7 processor.

AMD's Richard Huddy, during a recent interview with PCR, fielded a bunch of questions about the Project Quantum gaming PC.

AMD could launch its Project Quantum gaming PC to market if it has the right conversations with OEMs, the firm has told PCR. The unit is designed to show off the performance of AMD's new Fiji HBM GPUs. Full specs haven't been confirmed, but it's said to feature two R9 Fiji GPUs plus an Intel i7 processor.

I just don't see this going well. It will be an overpriced disaster. You are going to cool an 4790k and two fiji processors with just one 180mm rad?? So what you will get will be a cut down 4790k and two cut down fiji cores. Price will likely easily run over $1000 based on the hardware alone. Just don't see it working.

Love the concept, but I think they would have been better off putting the best A10 apu available at the time in there and pricing it low.

Dell/Valve/Sapphire should just buy the design and either slap an Alien head on it, and/or market it as THE Premium Steam Machine. With... Not just 1, but *2* controllers for the Premium Machine!

It's all in the marketing people!

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was thinking the same as well, but amused, no. It was a pretty sad statement IMHO.

Rather than getting into consumer products like this, I wish they would button down, and focus on remediating the state of their CPU and GPU fundamentals.

You could change the headline to "AMD stresses several times that Quantum is a concept and not intended for mass production; Interviewer fails to understand, rewords same question slightly differently."

Zarathustra[H];1041774334 said:
I was thinking the same as well, but amused, no. It was a pretty sad statement IMHO.

Rather than getting into consumer products like this, I wish they would button down, and focus on remediating the state of their CPU and GPU fundamentals.

Well the reason it amuses me is they say it's to show the performance of their GPUs, and by having an Intel CPU they are basically admitting the lack of performance in their CPUs.

Well the reason it amuses me is they say it's to show the performance of their GPUs, and by having an Intel CPU they are basically admitting the lack of performance in their CPUs.

They could have made it smaller if they'd used Nvidia GPUs too, why not just do that as well?

They could have made it smaller if they'd used Nvidia GPUs too, why not just do that as well?

Then it wouldn't heat your home as well... Duh..

This is AMD grasping at straws because their architecture sucks across the board. Not an Intel or Nvidia fanboy, but AMD has literally nothing to offer these days. They need to bust out the tin cup and start asking for donations instead of burning more money on this AIO that is going to put out too much heat to be useful.

I will just wait for the new 395x2 for a while longer. When it comes out, it will be around $1000-$1500 liek the 295x2 was. Give it 6 months and it will drop in price to $600-$700. I will then purchase a 395x2 and a Fury X to replace my current setup if I get the performance I want at 4K. If not, I'll wait for the 16nm versions of either Nvidia or AMD cards...

I think AMD realizes that the one good thing they still have is their GPU. Granted their latest GPU may not have been as competitive as what we hope, but it's still a pretty fine GPU if it wasn't for it's too high of a price, and this division is certainly doing way better than their CPU.

So if they wish to capitalize on their GPU, they will have to use Intel CPU. They do not have any CPU that will not cripple it's performance, and there's nothing they could do about that.

I think AMD realizes that the one good thing they still have is their GPU. Granted their latest GPU may not have been as competitive as what we hope, but it's still a pretty fine GPU if it wasn't for it's too high of a price, and this division is certainly doing way better than their CPU.

So if they wish to capitalize on their GPU, they will have to use Intel CPU. They do not have any CPU that will not cripple it's performance, and there's nothing they could do about that.

Yeah, I was baffled reading this that it'll have an Intel CPU. That's akin to Ford building a new car and putting a GM motor in it. It's a complete slap (or wakeup call) to your CPU line.

Yeah, I was baffled reading this that it'll have an Intel CPU. That's akin to Ford building a new car and putting a GM motor in it. It's a complete slap (or wakeup call) to your CPU line.

Except that it is normal for car companies to do things like this, especially in foreign markets. My friend had one of the Pontiac crossovers with a Toyota engine in it. It literally had the big T logo stamped on the engine when you opened the hood. GM has used Isuzu motors, Dodge and Mitsubishi worked together on some things, etc.

It somehow feels more wrong in this scenario.

Except that it is normal for car companies to do things like this, especially in foreign markets. My friend had one of the Pontiac crossovers with a Toyota engine in it. It literally had the big T logo stamped on the engine when you opened the hood. GM has used Isuzu motors, Dodge and Mitsubishi worked together on some things, etc.

Not sure why people think it feels wrong in this case. The car analogy in this case is spot on, happens all the time.

It feels "more wrong" because the analogy isn't quite correct.

In all the examples you gave, the car companies had partnerships with each other to use their parts. And in the case of GM/Isuzu, Dodge/Mitsubishi, the American company also owned (or previously owned) a very large stake in the Japanese one.

AMD and Intel may have licensing agreements, but this situation is more akin to Ford buying Chevrolet/GM LSX v8 crate motors from retail markets at full price to shove in their mustangs without any prior agreement.

That's why this scenario with AMD feels more wrong.

It feels "more wrong" because the analogy isn't quite correct.

In all the examples you gave, the car companies had partnerships with each other to use their parts. And in the case of GM/Isuzu, Dodge/Mitsubishi, the American company also owned (or previously owned) a very large stake in the Japanese one.

AMD and Intel may have licensing agreements, but this situation is more akin to Ford buying Chevrolet/GM LSX v8 crate motors from retail markets at full price to shove in their mustangs without any prior agreement.

That's why this scenario with AMD feels more wrong.

Correct, also in general auto makers sell complete vehicles and not just a couple main parts other companies use to build cars.

In this case we have a company that makes CPU and GPUs that decides to use a competitor's CPU to showcase their GPUs performance.

Think about that for a minute, if someone is looking to build a performance PC, why should they consider AMD's CPUs when even AMD wont use them a computer they designed themselves.

The exhaust could be used as a convection oven if they had used an AMD* processor.**

*Not an AMD hater.
**For amusement purposes only.

AMD cpu's run pretty cool compared to Intel but that also is the problem since their TJmax temp is like 60-65c which those 2 fiji gpu's will be able to push that water temp 2 so their cpu isn't even viable option without a 2nd rad.

Will be a great living room setup. Oh, wait, it doesn't have HDMI 2.0 - so it's basically useless.

They really need to get the price right for this, i really think all this hype every new gen and massive disappointment is going to kill off the company sooner rather then later.

I'd say it's pretty cool of them to slap an intel processor in there. AMD isn't fooling anyone anymore on the game front.

Will be a great living room setup. Oh, wait, it doesn't have HDMI 2.0 - so it's basically useless.

But da diplay port is bettur durrr and you can buy da latency ridden adapters durr der's no need for da hdmi!

But da diplay port is bettur durrr and you can buy da latency ridden adapters durr der's no need for da hdmi!

Well.. It is.. Of course it would be a lot more attractive if it was on a decent number of TVs...

The world can never get enough of being disappointed by AMD.

Back