Advice on SSD upgrade

455olds

Gawd
I want to upgrade to a faster bigger ssd for windows 10 upgrade. Will I be able to select another drive when I upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 without a problem?
I would also like opinions if this is a worth while upgrade. I currently have a Crucial RealSSD C300 256 gigabyte drive installed on my rig in sig. I want a bigger faster drive and was looking at this one Intel 730 Series 480GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167192
I am not up to date on ssd drives so I might not be making a good choice.

Great question - I am wondering the same thing. I've only updated one of my computers so far (Alienware M18) but that was to the same drive.

I'm thinking for my desktop, I would like to put my boot partition on my new SSD and not the current RAID 0 array.

As for your new SSD, the Intels are all high-end in price but maybe top 50% in performance. Lots of drives that are faster and likely cheaper too - like any of the newer Samsungs. If you step up to the Intel 750 (IIRC?) - then you'll be moving up on the performance charts but the price per gig goes through the roof!

I've used alot of Samsungs in many of my setups and outside of the firmware update here or there, never had a problem or lost data. That's a good model for what you are looking to do, but I think you can get a better price than Newegg (they aren't that great with pricing anymore). Amazon has it for $181 or so when I checked.

That's a tad but high on the price, but the 850 EVO is usually top 3 in benches outside of the pcie nvme ssds. It's a good bet and solid choice. The 730 for that price is silly and a plain rip-off.

yea the 730 is too expensive. You can get 1 TB for near 300 dollars. But if price was equal I would buy the intel.

Most people won't notice the slightest difference between SSDs as far as speed is concerned so it makes sense to get the cheapest one without looking too much at benches (as long as it's a known brand of course).

But Intel has a great track record for SSDs as far as reliability is concerned, if that matters to you :)

Without any doubt you have to buy a Samsung 850 Evo, If somebody with a Kingston V300 boot very fast windows 10 and works fine, can you believe the performance that you will have with a Samsung? haha :D

I'll go with Samsung 850. Can I pick drive when upgrading from windows 8 to windows 10?.

I do not know if you can upgrade to a blank drive. That said, I'd clone my current install 1st, then disconnect the old drive. You need a backup anyway, and SSD-SSD should be the fastest method.

Actually, what I'd do is upgrade the EXISTING install.
Then get your windows key.
Yank the hard drive.
Install the SSD.
Do a clean install with your Windows key.
Pretty much GUARANTEE that you get the cleanest, fastest install possible.

If I have both hdd plugged in can't I select full install and select the new drive?

When doing the upgrade from existing Windows install, choose not save any data or programs when asked. Closest thing to a clean install to get you started.

Not trying to thread hijack but no point in making another thread. I am looking at a new SSD also. I have an intel v series 40gb atm, and was wanting to go up to 256gb BUT a 120 would be nice too. I only have 80 to spend (friend is loaning me the cashola) I want something good but that also wont run really any more then this, I am planning on using amazon to make the purchase, I have 6 dollar credit at amazon as well, so really the best I could do is like 90. Is there anything in this range that is good, that I can get? I already been eyeballing the Crucial MX200,Samsung 850 Evo

I have the 730 now. Love it. But I have another 4 year old Intel SSD (330) that is in perfect health so I value the track record.

BX100 250gb is $85. But, honestly, if you're that tight for cash, you should really really save your money. This stuff isn't worth it.

I would say that hopping from a SATA1 to 3 drive is worth it. There's a huge bump in performance to be had.

My reply was in regards to Soarin, who's ostensibly bumming cash (cuz he's broke) to upgrade his PC. That's not worth it.

OP's upgrade seems pretty sensible.

Actually, what I'd do is upgrade the EXISTING install.
Then get your windows key.
Yank the hard drive.
Install the SSD.
Do a clean install with your Windows key.
Pretty much GUARANTEE that you get the cleanest, fastest install possible.

I tried this and the key doesn't work. I am going to try to call Microsoft tomorrow and see if they will let me activate without doing 3 window install upgrades. To do a fresh install I will have to install my old copy of vista,then windows 8,and then windows 10.

I have to agree if your bumming cash of a friend don't upgrade.

Now since we all want stuff. Be smart. Use camel camel camel .com to price watch several brands at the price point you want. use the chart and set the price point at the absolute lowest price it has ever gone for. Whenever you get an email for that new lowest price at that point consider upgrading.

I only recommend waiting that long for an upgrade when you really are grasping at the moon for it.

Typically waiting that long to save 20 bucks is not worth the wait or time but considering your time is literally worth nothing (no offense) its worth that long of a wait.

I didn't realize that C300 was a SATA1 drive. You're due!

Yeah, they're fairly dated now, but it's definitely not SATA1, it's SATA3. The linked benchmark is selected from the list wrong. It is showing the C300 plugged into a SATA2 port, thus artificially limited somewhat.

Still pretty big upgrade going to the 850 though. Enjoy your new Sammy, I love my older Evo, perfect reliabilty so far even though it's the "buggy" FW model. C300 is still going strong too, so much for all the fear and hype in the early days about SSD's wearing out quick, both of these little dudes get trashed daily and never a hiccup from either.

edit:eek:ops, didn't realize this is like a week old, oh well.

In response to BigSnyder, I used Magical Jelly Bean password finder (never heard of it before) and found my Prod Key for Win 10 Pro; wrote it down. Then wiped my 2x Corsair Neutron GTX 240's and undid the Raid 0 array... > did a Fresh Install on 1x of the SSD's with the Key... works fine....may do the Intel Rapid Recovery Array still
Oh ya, I did not keep the product key finder program, as the are a notorious security hazard; it got wiped with the drive.
BlackDragon

From my reading on the interwebs - this might not be / probably isn't gospel but - once you install the WIN10 it fingerprints / hashes your system based upon your current configuration at activation time and sends that info to Microsoft - whenever you re-install it later, you can skip the serial activation again (unless the parts have significantly changed).

Again, I haven't had to re-install Win10 yet, just got my first Win10s installed on all my boxes, but I'm not sure if I am going to like the new activation system or not.

Link

Link2

Link3

Last edited:
In response to BigSnyder, I used Magical Jelly Bean password finder (never heard of it before) and found my Prod Key for Win 10 Pro; wrote it down. Then wiped my 2x Corsair Neutron GTX 240's and undid the Raid 0 array... > did a Fresh Install on 1x of the SSD's with the Key... works fine....may do the Intel Rapid Recovery Array still
Oh ya, I did not keep the product key finder program, as the are a notorious security hazard; it got wiped with the drive.
BlackDragon

yes never keep those thing besides on like a CD or usb to use and never plug it in unless you have to use it.

Hmm that 850 will scream in a SATA II socket. I think we got a little carried away there.

A V300 will work just as fast probably.

From my reading on the interwebs - this might not be / probably isn't gospel but - once you install the WIN10 it fingerprints / hashes your system based upon your current configuration at activation time and sends that info to Microsoft - whenever you re-install it later, you can skip the serial activation again (unless the parts have significantly changed).

Again, I haven't had to re-install Win10 yet, just got my first Win10s installed on all my boxes, but I'm not sure if I am going to like the new activation system or not.

Link

Link2

Link3

thanks for that great info. I forwarded that to a few people. That is total garbage. I will never upgrade any of my OSes then because I am not getting screwed like that. Licensed to the machine. SCREW YOU MS!

I tried again and upgrade key worked,fresh install on new drive. I used belarc advisor to get key.

Back