Intel HD video (3rd generation) not scaling on lower res (digital)

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
Im running into a problem thats driving me nucking futs.

Running 2x monitors on a j1900 based system (Acer AXC-603G) using the onboard HDMI + VGA. The 2x monitors are some cheapo NOC 23" models.

Like many typical office workers, the user cannot function in native 1920x1080 res, they must use 1280x720. (blind)

On the VGA connection, I can set "Maintain display scaling" at 1280x720 and the image stretches fine. On the HDMI (digital) connection, I only get "center image" as an option. I get a tiny 1280x720 display with 1/2 of the screen being unusable black bars.

I am using version 15.33.36.64.4226 (6/5/2015) of the intel 3rd gen HD video driver. I have tried older versions.

Normally I would just throw in a cheapo POS PCIE card and call it a day, but this being a mini-PC it has no PCIE slot.

Is there anything I can do? Is there software that will force scaling?

Thanks for any help.

It sounds like you're trying to set it on the monitor. Try setting the resolution to 1280x720 in the windows desktop preferences.

Just use 1080p with 125% DPI, way better then downscaling to 720p

It sounds like you're trying to set it on the monitor. Try setting the resolution to 1280x720 in the windows desktop preferences.
I am setting it in either the display options in control panel or in the in the Intel HD graphics options (software)
Just use 1080p with 125% DPI, way better then downscaling to 720p
This is a good idea by microsoft but it wont work for many (well, any of our) custom applications - buttons, menus etc get all messed up.

I am setting it in either the display options in control panel or in the in the Intel HD graphics options (software)

Hmmm, maybe check the setting in the monitor then? :p
I had some old cheapo monitors (HP iirc) a while back that did something similar and they had options like center display or stretch as in monitor things (hence my first reply). If that's not it, you might have to buys some magnifying glasses for your coworkers.

le sigh, Im pretty sure its a problem with the intel video drivers or maybe even video bios.

Can you test it on a different system? Also, if you swap monitors, does the issue follow the HDMI output?
Yes it follows the HDMI output if I swap monitors.. both same model and a dell 23" model. Its something about the digital/HDMI out.

Yeah man I agree, running pretty much any monitor out of native res is just stoopid, and my eye sight is certainly not what it once was (wear glasses etc)

I have a cheapo hdmi to vga adapter on order. The VGA out will be analog but on the PC side it will likely still think its digital. Worth a shot I suppose.

Thanks for all of the feedback..

Back