Anandtech broadwell ipc + OC review

Ugh. I was hoping this would not be the case.

edit -- brainfarted and thought this was a Skylake review, with it very clearly and repeatedly being Broadwell. I need some caffeine.

Last edited:
Ugh. I was hoping this would not be the case.

Looks like we need some competition from AMD to get intel back into the game :p

Or maybe this is just the trend we're heading into, for the last year or so, I Didn't touch my 4770k, it was @ stock, I decided just recently to OC it a bit, got 4.3 without much voltage or tinkering.

Broadwell it's aimed for Low power users and mobile.. it was never targeted at enthusiast or high end range machines.. I don't know what is so strange.. the big changes are for power consumption and iGPU. for enthusiast chips wait for Skylake.

I don't know why they're wasting time on a broadwell review when the real follow up skylake will release sometime this month possibly this week?

I don't know why they're wasting time on a broadwell review when the real follow up skylake will release sometime this month possibly this week?

Because they did this with skylake too, but can't release the data yet, garuntee it'll be updated later this week.

It's just kinda part of the hype train, telling the story of how we get to skylake.

Hopefully the skylake segment will give the story a happy ending I don't think it has right now.

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9482/intel-broadwell-pt2-overclocking-ipc

on average 5% over Haswell.. however you lose 5-10% in OC as well...

IT seems to me that for the enthusiast crowd, or overclockers, haswell/DC is a better choice.

Hahahaha, holy crap. A 4.2 Ghz overclock !??!?! Are we intentionally progressing backwards Intel? So once again us enthusiasts gain nothing from the latest Intel offering. This is bad, really bad. I remember on average review sites would hit 4.4-4.5 with Haswell and that was a huge downer after Sandy and Ivy bridge processors. Going to an overage of 4.2 from 4.5 is close to a 7% oc loss.

Hahahaha, holy crap. A 4.2 Ghz overclock !??!?! Are we intentionally progressing backwards Intel? So once again us enthusiasts gain nothing from the latest Intel offering. This is bad, really bad. I remember on average review sites would hit 4.4-4.5 with Haswell and that was a huge downer after Sandy and Ivy bridge processors. Going to an overage of 4.2 from 4.5 is close to a 7% oc loss.

Like someone mentioned prior, this is Broadwell. It's not the enthusiast line. We will have to wait for Skylake data over the next few days and weeks.

Are we intentionally progressing backwards Intel?

I believe it is more a problem with the silicon than holding back.

No.

Intel changed their target metric.

Intel isn't chasing clock speed.
Intel isn't chasing total performance.

Intel IS chasing perfomance per watt.

I believe if you charted performance per watt you'd see that intel is still spending their transistor budget effectively and really hasn't fallen off at all. Not even a little bit. The performance skylake will throw down in <45w packages will be AMAZING!!!!!

Problem is most of us on this board don't give a shit about that. We want 120w every generation and keep the raw performance coming.

No.

Intel changed their target metric.

Intel isn't chasing clock speed.
Intel isn't chasing total performance.

Intel IS chasing perfomance per watt.

I believe if you charted performance per watt you'd see that intel is still spending their transistor budget effectively and really hasn't fallen off at all. Not even a little bit. The performance skylake will throw down in <45w packages will be AMAZING!!!!!

Problem is most of us on this board don't give a shit about that. We want 120w every generation and keep the raw performance coming.

I want that :D, I want a super cool, high performance <45w chip. I'm SHOCKED at my 4790k though. At idle my whole PC including a UPs uses 105w.

Like someone mentioned prior, this is Broadwell. It's not the enthusiast line. We will have to wait for Skylake data over the next few days and weeks.

it's going to be the same if not worse in terms of overclocking.

I don't think we have any basis for believing that it will be worse.

The broadwell chip is signifigantly different because the only overclockable example also has the Crystalwell chip on package. Having that huge hot cache makes it hard to compare to what skylake will do.

Granted I don't think it's encouraging especially coupled with the fact that 6700K is 200mhz SLOWER than the 4790K.

and you are based on?. source please..

I don't think we have any basis for believing that it will be worse.

The broadwell chip is signifigantly different because the only overclockable example also has the Crystalwell chip on package. Having that huge hot cache makes it hard to compare to what skylake will do.

Granted I don't think it's encouraging especially coupled with the fact that 6700K is 200mhz SLOWER than the 4790K.

is not slower, under full load they run at same speed. Turbo boost in 4790K only run at 4.4ghz under single thread scenarios (mostly never?) with 4 cores even at the slightest load the speed drop to 4.2ghz same as 6700K.

and you are based on?. source please..

is not slower, under full load they run at same speed. Turbo boost in 4790K only run at 4.4ghz under single thread scenarios (mostly never?) with 4 cores even at the slightest load the speed drop to 4.2ghz same as 6700K.

Yeah, it's max turbo boost is 4% slower, so it's not like you would notice. Multithreaded loads will still run at the same exact speed!

The reason they "bothered" with a review like this is to kill dead space between now and the official release of Skylake.

Back