HTPC OS for the computer illiterate: Pulling my hair out!

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys. Maybe you could help me out with a real pickle I'm in.

So I've wired my house in Cat 6E, and I want to take the step forward and have real 'modern connected house'. I have a server spec'd out, I have the framework in place, and I'm looking at a wonderful setup for myself and my wife, and her parents (all living under the same roof). The old folks like to watch TV a lot, and we've got them hooked on netflix, youtube, etc as well. You may think 'yay, they get it!' but unfortunately they don't REALLY get it. The windows 7 interface isn't great for a HTPC setup, and I still get daily questions and requests to fix this, find that, etc. I'm tired. I love my parents-in-law, I really do, and I want them to have all these awesome features, but Windows 7 is too damn difficult for a couple of oldies just wanting to watch the TV. I'm looking to go a more streamlined OS designed specifically for a TV. I need this to be networkable as well, because when the oldies go up to their bedroom to lay in bed and watch TV, I want them to still have access to all of their recordings, movies, pictures, etc, as if they were still in the living room.

List of requirements:

-TV tuning and DVR functions, preferably over the network.
----I know XBMC supports a 'DVR Server' so you can have a ton of tuners on the server and stream their outputs to any machine, along with DVR scheduling as well. This is super important, as the old folks freaking record EVERYTHING. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can make it so its a bit easier on them, and allow them to record 3 shows at once while watching another. Hey, not my choice.

-Web browser, preferably a modern, easy one.
----Something I'm surprised to see is my father-in-law browsing the web on the living-room TV rather than lock himself in his office and browse on his old PC. The family likes it better with him more social and he likes it too, but the problem I have is that none of the HTPC OSs I've seen have an integrated Web Browsing function, and the ones that do require a certification in advanced Unix to get it to work, and I want this to be a 'set and forget' system. A bunch of old folks are going to be using this and I don't want to have to constantly be answering questions. This is the case with Windows 7 as well, they understand the basics, but they break it way too damn often.

-Easy local/networked movie watching.
----The last thing these oldies ever do is browse folders and organize their files. I am hoping to find a HTPC OS that makes it REALLY easy to find a stored DVD/Bluray rip or recorded TV show and play it. These are people who still point the wireless keyboard at the TV to try to make the signal stronger, These people aren't going to want to do anything other than click on a big 'MOVIES' button and see all of their favourite movies ready to go.

-ODD support.
----Yes, that's right, ODD support. These folks still want to be able to pop-in the disk and watch a movie/listen to music. DVD/Bluray playback is a must. and it needs to be easy. No command-line this, right-click that: This needs to be so easy it hurts.

Is there an answer to my prayers, or will I forever be the tech-support guy?

Crickets ...

(sorry)
I'm probably going in the opposite direction in terms of ease-of-use. I've just installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my HTPC. Everything you want should be possible in Linux - I'm still in the process of piecing together my HTPC from a software perspective but I don't need half the functionality that you've listed.

I can't think of the name right this second but isn't there a different "flavor" of ubuntu that is more tailored to HTPC's?

if you do not mind the config time, yes ALL of this can be done.

your HTPC front ends will probably need to be running XBMC (now called KODI)
the server will need tuners and or hdmi ins connected to cable or satellite box if you want ALL the channels. (cablecard support in PC's (especialy on *NIX) is spotty at best.)

MythTV is a capable platform for setting up tv channels and DVR capabilities. it runs on the server along with your storage for static movies and the DVR capabilities.

also its possible to use something like an HDHomeRun for the backend duties and pipe the out to XBMC, this simplifies your job a little bit but takes some of the advanced bits out.

KODI does not have a built in web browser but there are tons of options for getting one (with working flash and stuff) plugins, or app extensions for full blown linux apps.

optical DVD support is built in, however blueray on a PC is tricky. again though you have about 10,000 options for accomplishing this.

local network movie watching is pud, my kids have been working XBMC/KODI since they could walk. (i had to get travel mice so they could reach the buttons)

there are also ways of making infrared remotes work, or use an all-in0one remote that can send MCE codes. (MCE yes is an MS remote type but native support in linux)

To me, Windows Media Center is already the most ideal solution to what you want. Everything is right there onscreen and intuitive. Recorded TV, Guide, Live TV, Movies, etc. Use DVD xml files in your DVD folders and the picture from the movie case shows up and the movie description.

The only time you'd have to get out of it is to browse the web. But that's easy enough with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

I installed Kodi on a laptop to try it out, and it's not as easy to figure out as WMC. The layout of the menu was not as user friendly to me.

If you want user friendly I wouldn't even think about anything in Linux.

everything in my house (4 HTPC's 2 desktops, 1 laptop) all run various linux variants. also my wife runs a daycare out of the house, there are 10 kids there some days. i would basically disagree with everything you said.

To me, Windows Media Center is already the most ideal solution to what you want. Everything is right there onscreen and intuitive. Recorded TV, Guide, Live TV, Movies, etc. Use DVD xml files in your DVD folders and the picture from the movie case shows up and the movie description.

The only time you'd have to get out of it is to browse the web. But that's easy enough with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

I installed Kodi on a laptop to try it out, and it's not as easy to figure out as WMC. The layout of the menu was not as user friendly to me.

If you want user friendly I wouldn't even think about anything in Linux.

Kodi will most likely be your best bet since it is very customizable. Having zero experience with it, I can't offer real suggestions. (It will run on pretty much any OS out there though).

The one thing Windows Media Center can do that others cannot is play/record copy-once flagged channels. However, I believe there is an add-on out there for Kodi that will allow you to use a Windows 7/8 WMC server on the backend to get around this if you are running the HTPC on a different OS. Silicon Dust is also addressing this with their new DVR solution coming out in the next few months.

Direct blu ray playback can be tricky as well depending on the front-end and OS you are using. It is very easy for WMC + 3rd party player software, but I can't speak for other solutions.

Have windows media center auto run at boot? I agree it's the easiest interface.

everything in my house (4 HTPC's 2 desktops, 1 laptop) all run various linux variants. also my wife runs a daycare out of the house, there are 10 kids there some days. i would basically disagree with everything you said.

Disagree on everything I said? Everything I said is true. The only thing I'll admit is that Linux is probably fine if you know how to use it and configure it. I tried it once, and installing it was fine. But then when I started doing certain things I needed command lines and such. That was more than I wanted to get into at the time.

As much as I have loved my HTPC over the years, they are starting to lose functionality rather than be an all-in-one solution. I read that the Netflix app in Media Center will stop being supported in September. I assume that means it will no longer work.

I tried out Media Portal the other week. Not exactly the most intuitive either as far as setting up. I was finally able to get the tuners set up and working.

If I were you I would get a smart Samsung BluRay player (takes care of all the smart apps and ODD. Plus you can also use Plex for personal media playback) and use the HTPC for tv watching only.

Of course a Linux user would...they always do. Seeing or acknowledging the average population is beneath them and why they demean people at every opportunity.

Of course a Linux user would...they always do. Seeing or acknowledging the average population is beneath them and why they demean people at every opportunity.

the point i was trying to make is simply that KIDS can use the interface.

Personally i USE nearly every common OS every day. my job requires that. i did not think buying a windows license do do nothing but run a media center front end was cost effective when the hardware that makes my media centers is about the same cost as a windows license.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but how about an Xbox 360 as an extender? You can access the server with the tuners, use apps like Netflix, YouTube, Fox, etc. And use Internet Explorer to access the web. The only thing I don't like about that option is having to convert all your movies to a format the 360 can play (assuming you don't want to do any transcoding) instead of just ripping to DVD folders.

I run something similar to what you are asking for. No old people but I do have two kids (8 and 5) who can operate their setup with mostly zero assistance now.

-TV tuning and DVR functions
Silicon Dust Homerun Prime Tuner (Comcast cable card)
https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/
I currently use Windows Media Center (Windows 8.1) as my back end. I have also used Next PVR http://www.nextpvr.com/ but went back to WMC for now.
After things record I commercial strip them at night with this http://www.mcebuddy2x.com/ so I don't have to hear my wife complain about having to fast forward.

-Easy local/networked movie watching.
This ties closely with Live TV/PVR functionality. I currently run Kodi as my HTPC front end (http://kodi.tv/) and it handles music/live tv/pvr/movies/tv series with little to no issues. I have a harmony remote that integrates really well to control TV/Receiver/HTPC. Also run http://emby.media/ to function as my metadata manager and I use its client for Roku and Android access

-Web browser, preferably a modern, easy one.
From Kodi you have two options http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=162544 which I use on occasion or http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=170965. Honestly though web browsing from the TV isn't used very often

-ODD support.
http://kodi.wiki/view/External_players. Pick and use any bluray client you want Power DVD/ArchSoft TMT/PotPlayer etc. You can also use external players for ripped movies and videos as well if you want better quality MPC-HC/Mad VR/LAV filters

Have one main HTCP on the big TV that runs Kodi and use Rokus as extenders that connect to Emby for everything else Netflix/Amazon Prime/Recorded TV/Movies. You can also stream live TV to a roku with emby much easier using the latest release

The old folks like to watch TV a lot

Yes, you forever will be because you are putting a square peg in a round hole.

If they like tv that much, buy them a 29 dollar U-verse package so they can watch the abc nightly news and be done with it.

Back