Samsung S4 slipped out of my hands...

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
and rolled through the bars on the stairs and onto the hardwood floor on the first floor. Spiderweb cracks on my screen are very tiny, but screen doesn't turn on. I guess I could

1) pay $80 to fix it
2) pay $120-$140 for a used replacement
3) get a new phone because my two years are up.

I'm very interested in the Galaxy Note 4, but apparently that's been out a while now with the replacement coming out soon. And it doesn't seem like my carrier, Verizon, is discounting the GN4's yet. My second option would be an iphone 6+, but that too has a replacement coming out within a few months.

Are there any other really good phones that have just come out that I should be considering?

Assuming you want a larger phablet type phone, the G4 is really the only recent phone to come out at that size. I would also consider the Nexus 6 still even though it came out last year. I would say the new Moto X (friggin 5.7" phone) too if it was out now, but I don't think it will be available until September still.

If it doesn't have to be a larger phone, then the S6 is still really the phone to beat on the Android side, esp. if root doesn't matter to you. There was a root exploit a while back for the Verizon/AT&T S6, but not sure if that still works or if the phones have been updated since to patch that exploit.

I currently have a GN4 (sprint variant) and wouldn't trade it for any other fablet. The only recommendation I would suggest would be to get the developer edition if you want the freedom to do as you like on your device. Otherwise customization and other such things can prove difficult on the standard version.

Back