5 Excuses Used For A Bad Video Game Port DEBUNKED

So many truths.. but i lost my shit at 'if you lock it at 30fps, and your pc does better, you're a dick' good post.

I think bad ports piss me off far less than "No PC Port"

I'm looking at you Rockstar / Red Dead Redemption

Not to mention the Halo devs. PC Ports of 1 and 2 and nothing since then.

Makes sense. They want you to buy a Xbox One. I just bought the Master Chief Collection the other day and enjoying the shit out of it. Hey, with Windows 10 you can at least play the Xbox One games you own on your computer (kind of).

This didn't debunk anything. It would be more accurate to state that those are 5 issues in terrible ports.

This video was bad and the OP should feel bad for sharing it.

This didn't debunk anything. It would be more accurate to state that those are 5 issues in terrible ports.

Yes. The "debunking" also had very little weight as it didn't really provide any evidence to back up the claims.

Mass Effect 3 as a bad PC port? WTF. Is this guy totally nuts? I can't even describe how stupid is that.

And it didn't debunk anything. It just argued with itself.

Higher hardware requirements are not even a real issue. On the console you don't have that much overhead plus you don't need the code to be generic enough to run on 123 type of gpus. Yes it's possible to optimize the game to each gpu, but it's just not feasible. So the game will be optimized to whatever it was tested and developed on.

Expecting the games to run on a computer that has the similar computing power as the consoles is just unrealistic. I'd rather they make the game look better on the PC for the Hi-end computers.

And instead of writing gamepad support for the pc, just rearrange the ui to suit mouse+kb type of control. And I'm not saying that ME3 was bad with mouse / kb, it was perfectly playable, at no point during the game did it occur to me that this would play better with a pad. Not even in the menus.

So many truths.. but i lost my shit at 'if you lock it at 30fps, and your pc does better, you're a dick' good post.

Actually locking the game at a certain FPS has more to do with programming than being a dick. Anyone who has written a line of game code in their life knows what I'm talking about.

It's much harder to write code that is not affected by the FPS. And if the console can only achieve 30 fps then it's obvious the code will work best at 30 fps. And again if we're talking about a port it's not feasible to rewrite the entire game code.

Is is sloppy programming? Maybe it's a trade off. They can allocate resources to make the game better in other areas. Either way it's not a porting issue.

Not a great programmer myself, or anything... but if you use the big engines... nowadays, they all can do time methods to cause the time to sync up properly, it shouldn't be that hard, right? Though I don't know how well it does it. It could be perfect, or it could be far from perfect.

As for ME3, it seems that being a bad port is one of the things it's least accused of being.

I'm pretty sure most modern engines run different threads for the output rendering and the input simulation. They kind-of have to, given how the different consoles have different levels of power, PCs, etc. Back with fixed-function consoles like the NES or Genesis, yes, one thread ran the whole game and the frame-rate was directly tied to the game's simulation functions.

Time (release dates and/or pressure from publisher/IP holder), project scope and money (never enough of it). Not all projects have this and sometimes they design out their scope, and just "get it running" for PC.

I'm pretty sure most modern engines run different threads for the output rendering and the input simulation. They kind-of have to, given how the different consoles have different levels of power, PCs, etc. Back with fixed-function consoles like the NES or Genesis, yes, one thread ran the whole game and the frame-rate was directly tied to the game's simulation functions.

Even if they use a modern engine, they can slap on proprietary code on top of it. But I'm not sure what engines actual games with frame caps used.

Back