See Buzz Aldrin's Travel Voucher And Customs Form From 1969

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Yes, even Buzz Aldrin and the rest of the Apollo 11 crew had to sign a customs form when they returned from the moon. And yes, the cargo is more interesting than the cheap souvenirs you brought home from London or Japan.

Might hand this into my AO for laughs. Come in all dusty and tired and drop this on her desk.

Rules are rules I guess...

I wonder if Aldrin and Armstrong got swarmed by hot chicks after being the first men to walk on the moon.

They could have avoided all that hassle if they'd snuck across the Mexican border. :p

They're astronaut's, not drug-peddling rapists! */trump mode*
My smartass point was that a national hero had to go through customs after coming back from the moon, yet illegals just walk in from Mexico.
Would they have sent him back if he'd forgotten his passport?

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one to find this stupidly idiotic and pointless. They went to the moon!! Which is not another country, but another planetary body.

Please tell me, that when we are visited by actual aliens, we don't force them to go through customs before they are allowed to meet us.

Our gov't is so stupid.

He had to fill out the customs form so he would actually get the frequent flier miles.

The specific form listed is actually for the aircrafts and its cargo entry into the US not for the astronauts themselves. Any aircraft or ship and its cargo arriving from outside what is defined as the customs territory of the US has to fill out the paperwork. The law was written long before space travel. There are quite a few changes since then, however space travel still involves leaving the territory of any country and customs, immigration and quarantine service laws remain.

It's the same as saying a cop with his lights and sirens in cant get a speeding ticket. But they sure can because the speed limit applies unless there is a legal allowance for it to not apply.

Back