Google Asked To Remove 18 Pirate Links Every Second

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
"Enough already!" This news follows Google's introduction of a new algorithm last year that would significantly downrank copyright-infringing sites, but apparently it hasn't been enough to reduce the wants and needs of groups like the RIAA and MPAA.

Just last week Google received a record breaking 12.5 million reported links in seven days, showing that the surge in notices is still ongoing. The BPI and RIAA are among the most active senders of DMCA takedown requests. Together, the music groups have sent notices for 5.5 million URLs over the past month, which represents 12% of all requests.

They still link to the pirate bay as the first result when you search for it, which makes me wonder how hard they are actually trying to remove, or "downrank" any of these links.

I think they mean indrect searches... so if you search for a pirate site it will be first, however if you searched for "avengers" the imdb would be first over a piratebay torrent.

If they want takedown requests improved maybe they should help pay for the work it takes google to do the job. Google is doing this for free, they dont have the right to complain.

interesting and yet something like 100k spam emails form the same email name on many different topics they cannot be told nor do anything about??

I would tell them to screw off.

If somehow Google eliminated all search ability for pirate links, what would happen?

BAM, a bunch of people jump over to Yahoo. Or Bing. Or someone else that doesn't remove pirate links, or doesn't remove them as quickly. It's basically google shooting themselves in the foot if they continue.

Find it interesting that google removes all sorts of pirate site links, however they still leave the real sketchy "just download this installer for the full version of the game" type of links that I'm guessing is malware in a pretty little package.

So it comes down to it, what is hurting the country/internet/whatever more? People downloading movies/games? or people being infected with malware turning their computers into zombies and the like?

Maybe we should make a web site where website owners can register their contact information, and when your content is taken down by a false copyright infringement claim, it automatically spams back asking for the content to be reviewed by a human and reinstated, if only to add more fuel to the fire (= provide more metrics). There's no way that people have actually vetted 12.5 million URLs in a week, the shotgun approach has to have a fair number of innocents and those parties submitting unsubstantiated takedowns need to be penalized financially when the the takedown either impacts the true copyright holder. Or when consumers (me) are deprived when a video of a guy being a jackass with his porsche 918 gets taken down because he used a copyright claim to prevent the world from experiencing his epic fail.

Maybe we should make a web site where website owners can register their contact information, and when your content is taken down by a false copyright infringement claim, it automatically spams back asking for the content to be reviewed by a human and reinstated, if only to add more fuel to the fire (= provide more metrics). There's no way that people have actually vetted 12.5 million URLs in a week, the shotgun approach has to have a fair number of innocents and those parties submitting unsubstantiated takedowns need to be penalized financially when the the takedown either impacts the true copyright holder. Or when consumers (me) are deprived when a video of a guy being a jackass with his porsche 918 gets taken down because he used a copyright claim to prevent the world from experiencing his epic fail.

I agree - $10K penalty would IMO be reasonable in such cases and it would deter shitty companies, like RIAA, to spend much more time (and money) on this nonsense.

Google should tell the RIAA and MPAA to go spork themselves. They're not their private police force.

These copyright companies who want google to remove that many links should be the ones responsible for paying for the staff to actually handle that. 18 links every second is enough to have to employ a whole department to do it. Why should Google have to pay for that man power?

Or even better, the government needs to stop being in bed with these copyright companies and sites should not be forced to remove content in first place. The internet needs to be neutral not controlled by a couple greedy companies.

Back