Desktop rebuild with some surprise components to be revealed.

rat

Supreme [H]ardness
Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Did you actually pay $53 plus tax for that crappy SSD?

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
"Ignore the incorrect sticker prices." It was on clearance. Got it for under $40. Can't even get a refurb 120GB for that much on Newegg.

Hmm.. I guess $40 is ok for that SSD. Good luck with that then.

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Why on Earth you'd want to SLI 470 GTX video cards is beyond me! haha.

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Explicitly supported by After Effects for CUDA/Raytrace rendering.

Do people only come into threads to shit in them these days?

Can't you just add the GPU you are using into the list of GPU's like what is done with Premiere Pro?

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
The 470s I bought were both under $40. Cut my rendering time from 4+ hours to usually 10-30 minutes. Worth the trouble until someone on here sells a pair of 670s or 770s for $50 ;)

I think the issue people might have is that most of your build seems budget but then you bought a very expensive mobo.

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
My only issue was using ancient, power hungry, space heaters in a "new" build. However, I see that you do have a legitimate reason for using them so more power (you're gonna need it for the GPUs, get it? haha) to you.

I've had a GTX 470 in my system before when they were new. I would do whatever it takes to avoid using those heaters again.

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
As it stands, the whole build still uses less power than my previous setup in most states due to using an 80 Plus PSU, GPU idle states for the second card and much lower wattage CPU part. This will still be the case when I eventually upgrade the CPU.

That PSU is only ~80% efficient which isn't all that great. I also doubt it uses a whole lot less power under idle with the addition of a second GTX 470.

That AMD processor idled at ~122W while the Intel processor idles at ~42W. Sure that's a big difference, but a single GTX 470 idles at ~165W. So sure you took away ~80W, but you added double that with a second GTX 470. Well maybe not double since I doubt the GPU idle chart omitted the CPU idle of that system which was probably somewhere in the 90 - 95W range.

Either way, I doubt you're saving much on power at idle and definitely not saving any when both of those GPUs are under load.

Shrug. I'm tired of looking more into this as I don't really care. :eek:

System does look clean though. When are you getting the cable sleeves?

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. I guess we now know how bullshit numbers can tend to be online.

[img/]http://i.imgur.com/0kVOkWt.png[/img]

The Phenom II idled at around 45 watts. Full load was closer to 110.
Software isn't accurate.

I have my UPS here. It gives me the total load in wattage. It's about 100 Watts lower on average.

Definitely not under full load but puttering around doing normal things between rendering and gaming... close to half the normal power consumption.

That UPS probably doesn't show an accurate reading either. Google it sometime.

Sometime next week it looks like. Grrr.

Gonna post pics of it when you're done?

Dear sweet shit people, some of you crap on everything and are illiterate to boot.

Nice build and congrats OP.

wow, a name I recognize actually won the draw

congrats techrat!

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
The sexiest space heater I've seen since circa 2010. :p

edit
204 FPS? Sure you wasn't locked on some sort of vsync setting before then? Back when I had my i7 w/ single 470 GTX I was in triple digits on that game @ 1080p. Granted it's not 1600P, but it shouldn't effect it that much.

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
This with both GPUs now or just one? Because I doubt your AMD CPU was a bottle neck to a single GTX 470. I had that same CPU on a 570 GTX and it didn't seem to bottleneck it at all.

Selling PC. Deleted.

Last edited:
Oh okay. I had a similar experience with my Pentium G860 after I upgraded to a 980 GTX.

Back