Win10 preview build upgraded to RTM? Still need to 'upgrade'??

RacerX780

n00b
I did a clean install of the Win10 preview around the 11th of July.. which I assume is currently a full, RTM version. It says it's activated...

Since it was a clean install, I never entered any product code from my win7 disc.

From what I understand, once your system is validated, you no longer need to enter any codes... as long as your hardware is the same, etc.

Is my system now in their database?

Or if I were to do another clean install, would I need to go back to Win7 and do the upgrade so my machine is added?

Been trying to keep up on how this is all working, but I haven't read anything specifically mentioning those that were using the preview builds.

Thanks!!

-R

Are you signed in as a Windows Insider? If you are, that would explain why it's activated. If you are not you must of gone through the update process once.

Yes, I am signed in as an insider...

If I need to go thru the normal upgrade, that's not a problem.. Next time I do a wipe and clean install I'll just install Win7 first..

Just was curious if that is still needed or if I can just start with a clean win10 install.

I took my cd key from my insider build and downloaded an ISO and installed with that key and it activated fine.

I suggest you remove the machine from the insider program. Go into settings, then updates and click the advanced settings. Click the stop insider builds button. At that point the machine is activated and in the regular database. You can clean install and it will activate without an msa.

At this point, is there any benefit to being in the insider program?

Have never been a fan of windows... but I'm actually liking win10. :)

The only benefit to remaining in the insider program is receiving builds more quickly than non-insiders. They have insider fast ring, insider slow ring, and then the general population. That's it.

I suppose one could join the insider program if you want to run windows 10 and don't have a valid license for 7, 8 or 10... but in that case you'd have to remain an insider and keep running preview builds. At this point it is unclear exactly how that's going to work going forward, though.

People who were insiders previous to and including build 10240 have their chance to get out now. Anyone who remains or joins now is stepping into unknown territory. Personally, I left the WIP and I had all of my friends and family do the same. I see the risk vs reward of staying not being worthwhile.

Back