Kim Dotcom Doesn't Trust Mega: 'Your Data Isn't Safe Anymore'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know I shouldn't laugh at stuff like this, but watching these guys turn on each other is hilarious.

“As a result of this and a number of other confidential issues I don’t trust Mega anymore. I don’t think your data is safe on Mega anymore. But my non-compete clause is running out at the end of the year and I will create a Mega competitor that is completely open source and non-profit, similar to the Wikipedia model,” Dotcom says. “I want to give everyone free, unlimited and encrypted cloud storage with the help of donations from the community to keep things going.”

Mega says that while Dotcom was a co-founder of their operation he was not involved in the design and implementation of Mega technology, resigned as a director in 2013 and has had no managerial role since. Additionally, Mega says that Dotcom has not received any payments or renumeration from the company.
If he had so little to do with mega, why is he the only one being targeted?

Like I would trust Kim.com with my files. He's not exactly the most trustworthy guy on the planet. I'd put him right next to Tim Cook and Kim Kardashian at the bottom of my trustworthiness scale.

Well after Mega users information got turned over to the feds and their data erased it's not a far fetched thing to not trust Mega anymore. In fact I'm amazed it still is being used at all.

I don't trust my data on any cloud* service, Mega or otherwise.

There's only one person I trust my data to: Me. Stored away on flash drives, HDs, and DVDs inside of truecrypt containers. The bottom line is that nobody on this planet cares about protecting your data more than you do. Data storage services are only interested in maximizing profits, which means handling your data as cheaply (not as most securely) as possible.

* = I hate the term "cloud". Cloud = Remote resource = Server.

I don't trust my data on any cloud* service, Mega or otherwise.

There's only one person I trust my data to: Me. Stored away on flash drives, HDs, and DVDs inside of truecrypt containers. The bottom line is that nobody on this planet cares about protecting your data more than you do. Data storage services are only interested in maximizing profits, which means handling your data as cheaply (not as most securely) as possible.

* = I hate the term "cloud". Cloud = Remote resource = Server.

I trust my data on cloud services but its always encrypted then put inside a encrypted rar file and then encrypted again. Good luck getting anything useful without the unique keys.

I trust my data on cloud services but its always encrypted then put inside a encrypted rar file and then encrypted again. Good luck getting anything useful without the unique keys.

Reading this... I decided to check my own stuff, and all I have on there that isnt' encrypted are random pics I found online, my resume, and some random stuff I played around with, which aren't even strictly my work.

Well after Mega users information got turned over to the feds and their data erased it's not a far fetched thing to not trust Mega anymore. In fact I'm amazed it still is being used at all.

He's talking about Mega.co.zn not MegaUpload.com.

*Mega.co.nz

Damn, no edit

Ah, right. I don't store anything valuable on any online service and I have only my work laptop encrypted in case of theft. For personal data there is no sense to do any sort of encryptions unless you're engaged in serious criminal activities and are afraid of a forensic search.

No way, it shuoldn't matter if it's a dick pic or a list of ex girlfriends. You should keep that stuff encrypted because other people shouldn't be going through your shit.

That said, it's also up to you, and how you want your info to be.

Back