Firewire

hexden

n00b
I have a old 2 bay external hard drive case that I connected to my PC (NOT a Mac) via Firewire 400 to record video. The case held 2 IDE hard drives and a IDE to Firewire bridgeboard. I'd like to reuse the case but update it to use SATA hard drives. So I need a new bridgeboard that supports two or more SATA drives in JBOD mode instead. Also the board should support drives of greater than 2 TB capacity.

Yes I know Firewire is a dying standard but the ESATA and USB 2.0 and 3.0 cases I've tried have been problematic while Firewire hasn't given me any trouble. Does a board like this exist? If so where would I find one. And are there any other forums dedicated to the Macintosh where I might ask?

While I think getting what you want wouldn't be particularly hard, the difficulty in what you are asking for is specifically using your pre-existing case and buying parts.

Several manufacturers make right out the gate what you want like OWC and G-Technology. But I have literally never seen anyone attempt to assemble an external HD with the exception of simply installing HDs. Short of being an OEM yourself and sourcing the parts, I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing it.

Last edited:
Back