EVGA X58 error: "F3 F6 b8" cycling

Dave88LX

n00b
I recently came home to a blank screen, motherboard was cycling "EA 01 68 02". I rebooted the computer and it started cycling "F3 F6 b8", and the computer just keeps rebooting. I've tried reseating the CPU. I tried running only one stick of RAM in Slot 1 (three different sticks that were in the system working before). I replaced the CMOS battery. I've left it unplugged overnight. I started it without the CPU and received an "FF" code. I'm not sure what else I can try. I've searched online and found many others who have had this issue, but have not found anyone who could pinpoint a resolution. I sent a ticket in to EVGA and received the following response:

"Those post codes are usually related to RAM, especially if you see the board boot looping with those codes. As you've tried sticks individually, there's two other possibilities. First, the board has developed a fault with the RAM slots, or two, the CPU has developed a fault with the RAM controller. Unfortunately, the only way to test these theories would be to test the components in another machine."

I don't have anywhere else to test this stuff. Anyone dealt with this, and what did you find to be the issue? Thanks.

Do you get a different POST code if you try and start the machine with no memory?

I would venture you have a RAM failure.
It would be unlikely the cpu would be defective unless it was crazy overclocked.
You need to test your RAM somehow.
Or God is telling you its time to upgrade.

socK, I'll try that when I get home and post what I find.

magoo, I have three 2-GB sticks. I tried all three using one at a time, in the correct single-RAM slot, and there were no changes. I can't imagine all three sticks went bad concurrently, but I suppose it's possible.

No crazy overclocking. It's an i7-920.

I've found that many people have had this problem, but nobody has really revisited their threads to say what the problem ended up being...LOL

socK, I'll try that when I get home and post what I find.

magoo, I have three 2-GB sticks. I tried all three using one at a time, in the correct single-RAM slot, and there were no changes. I can't imagine all three sticks went bad concurrently, but I suppose it's possible.

No crazy overclocking. It's an i7-920.

Your problem is that the board is not functioning at all well, so you can't test the individual components with any confidence.

One bad stick may have been the culprit, or all three? I recall a long time ago the argument being running these sticks at 1.65 volts for extended periods was sooner or later going to be a problem.....either for the RAM or the memory controller on the CPU.

You can't even get into the BIOS to adjust voltages.:(

I had the same board you have with the same processor.
I traded up for an X58 Classified, which eventually broke. It refused to register all the usable RAM, a known problem with that board.
EVGA did me an RMA, the board I got back was wicked warped. and I sold the stuff off for an X79.
I haven't bought anything EVGA since.

Your problem is that the board is not functioning at all well, so you can't test the individual components with any confidence.

One bad stick may have been the culprit, or all three? I recall a long time ago the argument being running these sticks at 1.65 volts for extended periods was sooner or later going to be a problem.....either for the RAM or the memory controller on the CPU.

You can't even get into the BIOS to adjust voltages.:(

I had the same board you have with the same processor.
I traded up for an X58 Classified, which eventually broke. It refused to register all the usable RAM, a known problem with that board.
EVGA did me an RMA, the board I got back was wicked warped. and I sold the stuff off for an X79.
I haven't bought anything EVGA since.
Well that's pretty darn disappointing. I hope I can find someone to borrow some stuff from so I can replace the faulty component. It's an older system, but perfect for what I use it for.

Well that's pretty darn disappointing. I hope I can find someone to borrow some stuff from so I can replace the faulty component. It's an older system, but perfect for what I use it for.

Yeah.....any board can pretty much test the DDR3 sticks, but finding a S1366 board to check out the CPU is going to be tricky.

EBay?

Back